Peak 2013

It wasnt too bad.We had to do some mad scrambling to move 20000lbs of mail transferred to us on Dec 23 in Aniak. It took two CASAs to go and clean them out.

map

Except for in the main hubs, I have to load everything. 5000lbs at a time. Load, fly 5 minutes, unload it all, and fly back to the base and load up another 5000lbs.

Except for in the main hubs, I have to load everything. 5000lbs at a time. Load, fly 5 minutes, unload it all, and fly back to the base and load up another 5000lbs.

Those powerlines weighed ~30,000 lbs. We had to load them, and our pallet jack wouldn't really fit. Took a few hours, in the middle of the night.

Those powerlines weighed ~30,000 lbs. We had to load them, and our pallet jack wouldn't really fit. Took a few hours, in the middle of the night.
Ouch. That sucks. One time it took us an hour and a half to get a loaded. There was a huge window and no forklift to get it in. We had to use two ratchet straps to slowly get it in. Oh, and the flight was only five minutes.

I know we load at the outstation but its only a few hundred pounds. All the weight is during the AM flight.
When UPS sends one driver and 2000lbs five minutes before block out. Delay code is generally FUPS.

We don't touch a box on FedEx or DHL runs

I backed up a run for another company in a smaller airplane. Aside from UPS being totally incompetent dealing with a plane they had never seen and a couple days of 5+ hour delays, it was relatively easy.

I backed up a run for another company in a smaller airplane. Aside from UPS being totally incompetent dealing with a plane they had never seen and a couple days of 5+ hour delays, it was relatively easy.
Every plane that isn't theirs is a Lear.

I don't work for UPS anymore, so I can comment freely. And will be happy to, thanks!

I worked the ramp in Louisville for a couple of years when I was just out of high school. I can safely say that the relationship between A) Management, B) Part-Timers, and C) Full-Timers was the worst working relationship I've ever seen between anyone, ever. Management was excited to fire anyone the could for any transgression, intentional or otherwise. The Full-Timers basically figured they'd done their work when they were Part-Timers and would literally go and hide from doing any work. As in like park their vehicles behind blast fences and sleep. The Part-Timers hated the Full-Timers for not doing any work, and Management for trying to fire them all the time. I was amazed anything ever got done. Front line Supervisors had it even worse, as it seemed like their future was directly tied to the "numbers" in their department, with no consideration for how those numbers were affected by anything and everything else. The Management seemed to come from the "throw a bunch of rats in a bucket and whichever one drowns the rest and scrambles out has Advancement written on their forehead" school.

I "visited" SDF for peak a few years back, carrying some aircraft parts to keep the fleet 100% utilized, I suppose. It was the same old song and dance. I showed up just as they were launching from the old South Ramp (think they call it something else now). Somehow they'd scheduled it so that I arrived just as 15 or 20 pieces of Big Iron were all fighting and shoving to head on out and deliver the crap. And shock, surprise, no one knew I was coming. It was like a three stooges movie. I sat for ~15 minutes at the mouth of the ramp with one engine shut down while they figured out WTF to do with me. When they finally brought me on to the ramp (and I could just feel the laserbeams shooting down from all those big high cockpits as I taxied past), there wasn't anyone there to park me at the MX hangar. IMS, some poor beleaguered frontline sup wound up throwing some cones around the aircraft and driving over to pick up a bewildered mechanic so he could pick through the back of the plane and try to figure out what was in there and why they were getting it.

I will say that the UPS pilots were always great, and clearly part of a totally different structure (might as well have been a different planet). IPA was earning their dues, at least back then.

PS. And yes. Even in 2008 (or whatever), my MU-2 was still a "Lear".

The Borinquen base got 2 days off for Christmas and New Years. We also only worked 1 or 2 days a week. You guys mad? :)

Except the Brasilia guys. They had to do 5 days a week.

FedEx is awesome

The Borinquen base got 2 days off for Christmas and New Years. We also only worked 1 or 2 days a week. You guys mad? :)

Except the Brasilia guys. They had to do 5 days a week.

FedEx is awesome
that really gripes me

DHL should have closed two days, I spent the whole day waiting around flew back 50 pounds christmas eve night. 95% of the morning deliveries were brought back undeliverable (go figure right!)

New Years eve was equally stupid.

that really gripes me

DHL should have closed two days, I spent the whole day waiting around flew back 50 pounds christmas eve night. 95% of the morning deliveries were brought back undeliverable (go figure right!)

New Years eve was equally stupid.
Heh, I think our cake schedules are based more on what goes on in Memphis. I'm sure FedEx would be just as lame for us if they could! :)

Back