Pan Am students whine too much!

"There is no right or wrong way to pursue your career."

I was going to respond to this post a couple of days ago but I didn't get around to it. With all due respect, I disagree. There is definitely a right and wrong way to pursuing any career and there are definitely good, better, bad, and terrible schools out there! Pan Am (even starting to become known as Pan Scam) is one of those schools that cares nothing about you, your quality of training, nor your safety, and only about your money. And this is evidenced by the many posts on here, as the truth slowly sifts out, and warnings are given to our fellow pilots.

maybe referring to the lack of regard for the imsafe checklist? who knows

question for chunk: How many pilots were hired to airlines from FSI in the past two months? and to what airlines?

To the best of my knowledge in the past 4 or 5 weeks:

2 to Cape Air
3 to ACA
3 to Chataqua
6 direct track guys who are going to ASA within a week or two (already hired).

Times are slow. TO be quite frank, a lot of our instructors could leave and fly elsewhere (cargo and such) but don't because it would be a cut in pay. They are waiting to go directly to a regional or whatever their goal is.

Chunk

In a general sense I still think there isn't a wrong way to go about a flying career. Obviously you can make some poor choices but Kid Rock said it best... "You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve"

Kid Rock...

Now there's an upstanding citizen...
smirk.gif

I agree with mav on this one. You definitely can make bad decisions regarding your career planning just as you can make bad decisions with anything else in life.

Who's to say what's good and bad as far as career planning goes? You are. It's your decision, and I would definitely invest a lot of time into the process of making it.

You're not seeing the bigger picture. Obviously you can make bad decisions, but who says "Today I'm going to make a bad decision!" Nobody- the point is when you make the choice sometimes you don't realize it's a bad decision until later- HENCE PAN AM!!! Then you have to make the best with what you've got cause you already made the wrong choice (I'm not saying Pan Am is the wrong choice for everyone) I've made some bad choices and it hasn't slowed me down any.

What’s funny is, one time while attending ground school at Pan Am the head of ground school came in to our classroom and announced that someone had just smeared poop on the wall in the men’s bathroom. I guess a disgruntled student got a bad grade on a test and just had to vent.

The main concern I have about that is, who would dig out their own doody out of the porcelin and then go smear it on the wall. That's too much.

Wow, Between Think and Jetdriver I had to come out of retirement for this post. Sigh.........

So someone out there is proud of their Pan Am brothers that have been hired recently from DVT. Do you actually know these people? I can say that I have spent some quality time discussing the pros and cons of putting up with the Pan Am BS in hope of the white buffalo (job) with a couple of them. I've even been called and asked for jobs or just rides in a turbine from them.

The point is, they weren't any happier than any other disgruntled student or instructor. They just made a concious decision to put up with things and hope for the best.

As for jobs, I think that we can all say that airnet is on the border line for a real pilot job. I'm not getting to much positive feed back from the Pan Am squad that went there the last couple of years. If you are counting the cargo haul jobs, I woudn't wave that flag too high. In reality, any one who has their ratings and doesn't care about the aircraft logs can get on flying cargo somewhere! I'll hold out on my opinion of the two at Com Air until they sent positive feed back. But, to make sure that no one is confused at DVT, they were VERY lucky to be the ones that flew the reps. I don't see any regular pan am'ers following in thier footsteps but I hope that I'm wrong.

In the mean time, I'll continue to watch from the air and be glad I left when I did. And yes, I do wish the best for the students at Pan Am DVT disgruntled or otherwise.

Oh yeah, I have to ask this one.....JetDriver, have you ever flown a jet? I hope so. If not, you may have just hexed yourself into the pizza delivery business!

Hope, I can't belive you are still fighting this battle!

good night

I'll take a piece of that posting - and eat a big plate of crow at the same time. You see, I was a former PanAm cheerleader myself and defended the school on this same forum. Got me a fistful of certificates from there and tried to be all cheery, but then something happened. I realized that I was, in fact, a customer! Don't get me wrong because I think there are some GREAT instructors there (with the token Jackass thrown in here and there). And, I'll agree that you are on your own in life, but when you are paying 60K for something a little respect would be nice. The ground schools were a joke (except for Peter Kearney's IFR class) and the lack of flexibility borders on absurd. I've been through mission-specific schools in my past life that make Pan Am look good (if you can imagine), but I was being paid very well to be in those schools and the context of the treatment had a purpose. All I can say is that Pan Am, in general, has forgotten what the word CUSTOMER means. I'll just sit here and pick the feathers out of my teeth.

[ QUOTE ]
Billybob: in my past life

[/ QUOTE ]

What where you? I was a bicycle seat.
tongue.gif
Just a little pun

Panamfpr: What happened to Project SLAM PAN AM? The website is down eh?

Back