Overfly at 500ft or 1000ft?

PlaneCrazy

I hope I am writing this under the right thread! if not, I apologize :D.

So I have been overflying uncontrolled airports to enter 45 degree downwind at 500 ft above pattern altitude for some time now. I keep hearing from one instructor however, that that is the pattern altitude for jets and that I should be overflying at 1000ft above pattern altitude. Is that really the P.A. for jets? What altitude do you guys usually fly over at? Thanks for the input...

:bandit:

I hope I am writing this under the right thread! if not, I apologize :D.

So I have been overflying uncontrolled airports to enter 45 degree downwind at 500 ft above pattern altitude for some time now. I keep hearing from one instructor however, that that is the pattern altitude for jets and that I should be overflying at 1000ft above pattern altitude. Is that really the P.A. for jets? What altitude do you guys usually fly over at? Thanks for the input...

:bandit:

Yes, turbojet traffic pattern is 1500 AGL and above. You should be entering the traffic pattern at the TPA; that's where people are expecting to see you, as well as avoiding possible other jet traffic.

Overfly at 1000 AGL (or whatever the TPA is for your type of airplane)

Dont do anything at 1500 AGL (or whatever the jet TPA is) unless you are in a cirrus at 200 kts.

Don't overfly period if you don't have to. If you know the winds via automated or pilots talking, there's no reason to overfly and put up a chance for mid-air dancing.

Don't overfly period if you don't have to. If you know the winds via automated or pilots talking, there's no reason to overfly and put up a chance for mid-air dancing.

If the traffic pattern is on the other side of the airport (ie coming from the SW to runway 22) I'm going to overfly rather than do right traffic.

In all events, accurately communicate what you intend to do also. Doing so will help others see and avoid you.

Sometimes I like to overfly to get the "lay of the land" when I am landing at an unfamiliar airport...

If the traffic pattern is on the other side of the airport (ie coming from the SW to runway 22) I'm going to overfly rather than do right traffic.

Do you have an FAA reference that says this is proper procedure? I have seen nothing from the FAA supporting this manuever.

Have an airport diagram and know the wind speed and direction, this will eliminate the need to overfly the field, eliminating any doubt. Downwind provides a great opportunity to get the layout of the field.

In all events, accurately communicate what you intend to do also. Doing so will help others see and avoid you.

Accuracy is more important than form as well. Make sure you explicitly tell people where you are at. I'd rather sound like a jackass for using slightly non-standard radio phraseology, than be a smoking hole. Just my $.02.

Why not just enter crosswind at TPA, then turn downwind.

Because being broadside to the Departure end really is not smart.

This is how my school teaches it.

If you need to cross mid-field to to enter left down wind, cross at 1,500 AGL and start your descent to TPA while over the runway. Then you enter The Traffic pattern at 1000 ft.

Turbojets will almost always be using their radio, the chance of them showing up with out a radio call is unlikely. Being at 1500 ft at most airports is not a concern, due to the lack of turbojet aircraft traffic and plenty of warning time from when they do check on.

We have many more near mid-air's dealing with aircraft climbing out or going around compared to being in the turbojet TPA.

At my airport we can't teach crossing at "500 over", due to airspace above us. So planes are forced to cross at TPA and it is hairy when it comes to go-arounds and the airplane is crossing at only TPA.

That is why we teach "500 over" for every other airport besides ours.

At my airport we can't teach crossing at "500 over", due to airspace above us. So planes are forced to cross at TPA and it is hairy when it comes to go-arounds and the airplane is crossing at only TPA.

That is why we teach "500 over" for every other airport besides ours.

But why cross over at other than TPA at midfield? I see the basic logic process behind it, but unless someone is coming up initial for the midfield break, all traffic will be fairly well below if you cross midfield at TPA, even a go-around; and thats where people are looking for you. Descending into the downwind isn't a great idea, IMO, due to limited field of view below you, esp in a low wing. When I go around, I'm used to having an overhead break pattern above me anyway, so it's not like I'm going to go around and immediately climb to TPA like a rocket. I go around, remain 500 below TPA until departure end, then climb if remaining in the rectangular pattern, or make sure no one is above me crossing over if I'm going to pull closed to the inside downwind.

At our field, we do either 45 into left downwind or we do midfield crosswind into left downwind. I'm not sure what the reg is, but Lakes comes in and they always seem to do a crosswind into left downwind unless the winds say to do a left 45 or left base.

Something tells me there is a reg about not doing opposite traffic pattern(right base when it should be left base) that is why they go over the top when it would be easier for them to do right a right base.

Back