Overfly at 500ft or 1000ft?

I teach, if you have to overfly, overfly at 1000' above TPA then once at pattern distance (~1 mile from midfield, above downwind), start to decend and tear drop in on a 45 and you shouldn't have any problem being at TPA by downwind. And always communicate your intentions, if possible.

That is what my first instructor taught me, except it was 500 and not 1000.

I don't see anything wrong with it, I just don't teach it because it makes you spend a longer time in the terminal area when you can see a clear downwind.

Which is why I mentioned staying 500' below TPA on a go around until at depature end.

That is a good practice to have and teach, but a lot of these sunday fliers go straight to pattern altitude on go-arounds, now matter where they are.

I teach, if you have to overfly, overfly at 1000' above TPA then once at pattern distance (~1 mile from midfield, above downwind), start to decend and tear drop in on a 45 and you shouldn't have any problem being at TPA by downwind. And always communicate your intentions, if possible.
Exactly what I do. Spot on.

I know this is up for a lot of debate but I was always taught (and read) that you shouldn't be descending while you're entering the traffic pattern. I can see that causing somebody to descend right onto the top of a high wing a/c already in the pattern that might not see you. I just cross over the midfield at TPA and join the downwind, and announce that I'll be doing that well in advance, not the second I pass over the midfield. Sure me and other pilots have had to adjust our patterns to give each other enough room, but we were all aware of where the other guy was and what he was doing. Of course I only do that when the winds make a 45 degree entry to the downwind impossible. I'd say as with anything, good communication really makes everyone's day a lot easier.

Back