One crew member incapacitated...brace pax for landing?

I might have em brace if the reason that captain is dead is that we took a 40lb bird through the windshield and now the window is covered in blood and feathers and it's so windy I'm having a hard time seeing or thinking. Then, maybe, but they probably won't be able to hear my PA announcement over the shrieks of a dying falcon and the roar of the slipstream.

It's kind of irrellevant, I don't think about the potential liabilities when I excercise my responsibilities as a crew member outside the "realm of normal operations." Litteral CYA is more important than protecting yourself from litigation at this point. In the example given, you should be more concerned with getting the captain to help than with your career. In an emergency you should only be thinking about getting the airplane on the ground safely, if someone wants to monday morning quarterback the big gime when you get the ground later, I'll worry about it then. The rest of the time, I'm making sure I fly safelyand don't bend metal. Needlessly bracing your passengers under the false premise that its safer could produce more problems - like panic that could cause someone to get hurt while deplanning.

This actually happened to a buddy of mine at my airline flying a DC-10. Capt went to the restroom and died. Ops normal until clearing the runway where he shut down and had it towed to the gate. The interesting part was that my friend was flying on a medical wavier for sight in one eye.

Get someone to help the injured crew member while you focus on the airplane. Get medics in place and DONT create PA drama when none is needed. fly the plane and let the FA tell the folks we are landing for medical reasons in a nice sweet voice. Delegate distracting things to a FA or even a commuting pilot if needed.It should be a non event unless you make it one. Bracing the PAX would not be my choice.

you
you've obviously never seen me land.

You know things are bad when you unintentionally force the company to put "BRACE" on the normal landing checklist. I only screw up landings when I have someone I know onboard or have a plane full of commuting pilots, or jumpseaters, or ......well actually, almost always.

You know things are bad when you unintentionally force the company to put "BRACE" on the normal landing checklist. I only screw up landings when I have someone I know onboard or have a plane full of commuting pilots, or jumpseaters, or ......well actually, almost always.
All my landings would be greasers if the gear were just 3" longer. Flare, flare, oh this is gonna be nice...*thunk* daggum it, I swear I was 3" lower than that.

one particularly "smooth" landing, I opened the door a looked back into the cabin and, after noticing that none of the luggage bins had opened up (meaning that it wasn't too too hard), said, "Every one OK back there?" first quiet then we all had a good laugh! I swear I was just about to flare!

It's a question about liability, company policy and just plain CYA. There's no doubt the plane could be landed safely...that's not the issue. The issue is this would (in every legal sense) constitute an emergency. So, do you treat it as an emergency landing and follow GOM and brace or just treat it like a normal landing?

Personally I'd brace 'em, cheap insurance. I'd much rather be chastened by the POI or Chief pilot for being to cautious than violated or fined for not taking precautions during an emergency...no matter how benign it may appear.

...But that's my 2 cents...that's why we have this discussion forum for right?
There no reason to brace, unless you are having another issue that may effect the safety of the landing. I would declare an emergency, but with ATC only. Just let the pax know we need to return, without disclosing a crew member is down. No need to cause them to panic. Just have the medics standing by to board the plane when you clear the runway.

This actually happened to a buddy of mine at my airline flying a DC-10. Capt went to the restroom and died. Ops normal until clearing the runway where he shut down and had it towed to the gate. The interesting part was that my friend was flying on a medical wavier for sight in one eye.
Meh, bring it to a stop, move over to the left and taxi the thing.

Holy Smokes this thread is still going?
horse.gif

Back