Older style airspeed indicators 757/767

EIR

Beer Drinker
As much as I'll miss the fleet, it will be nice having glass again soon.
It's funny you say that. We had 1 glass 76, and everyone was excited to get their hands on it. Fast forward a year and no one wants to touch it. It has since been retracted from our fleet and we're back to classic 76 panels. I didn't mind the glass, since my previous aircraft were all glass. Most of the fuss came from the old Boeing guys. I think if our entire fleet was glass it would be a different story.

To the original post: Fly your speed bugs. I don't know of any other way to explain it. I use the round dial in initial climb and landing phases - all other phases I use the speed tape. In turbulence the FCOM/FCTM recommends flying .78/290 and disconnecting the A/T if it can't keep up.

Last edited:

bike21

9-5 Ruins Lives
It's funny you say that. We had 1 glass 76, and everyone was excited to get their hands on it. Fast forward a year and no one wants to touch it. It has since been retracted from our fleet and we're back to classic 76 panels. I didn't mind the glass, since my previous aircraft were all glass. Most of the fuss came from the old Boeing guys. I think if our entire fleet was glass it would be a different story.
Yeah it's more a consolation prize, I'd stay on it all day long if it meant keeping that fat cat international lifestyle. Alas, back to the domestic life but at least it'll be a plane designed & built this century.

DE727UPS

UPS went all glass and I hated it at first. Really had a hard time finding things. I still sometimes have to search a bit. I'm starting to like it better though and glad I got a chance to see it before I retire. It's been the way of the future for years and anything else I fly after retirement will likely have glass.

Space Monkey

a law for the rich and another for the poor member
Yeah, man. My school was so progressive even the chess team had to wear helmets.:p

Derg

New Arizona, Il Duce/Warlord
Staff member
The PLI goes away when the flaps are up so all you have otherwise is the yoke shaking device. At least on the 75. I just went from round dials to glass with the upgraded 75/76 cockpits. It is kinda cool seeing the upper and lower margins on the speed tape. It funny to think all these years I didn't know how close to stick shaker I really was....
I was thinking about that in flight one day at 390 in a 321 where, in Boeing terms, the upper and lower margins were tight as heck. I wondered how many times I was in a precarious airspeed situation.

SteveC

Really?
Staff member
I was thinking about that in flight one day at 390 in a 321 where, in Boeing terms, the upper and lower margins were tight as heck. I wondered how many times I was in a precarious airspeed situation.
(Disclaimer: this is most definitely NOT my pic, but it is the type I fly.)

Nice to have a healthy margin, even up at max certified altitude:

D6A70B56-1FDF-4B11-A025-C2BDEF410845.jpeg