Older style airspeed indicators 757/767

As much as I'll miss the fleet, it will be nice having glass again soon.

It's funny you say that. We had 1 glass 76, and everyone was excited to get their hands on it. Fast forward a year and no one wants to touch it. It has since been retracted from our fleet and we're back to classic 76 panels. I didn't mind the glass, since my previous aircraft were all glass. Most of the fuss came from the old Boeing guys. I think if our entire fleet was glass it would be a different story.

To the original post: Fly your speed bugs. I don't know of any other way to explain it. I use the round dial in initial climb and landing phases - all other phases I use the speed tape. In turbulence the FCOM/FCTM recommends flying .78/290 and disconnecting the A/T if it can't keep up.

Last edited:
It's funny you say that. We had 1 glass 76, and everyone was excited to get their hands on it. Fast forward a year and no one wants to touch it. It has since been retracted from our fleet and we're back to classic 76 panels. I didn't mind the glass, since my previous aircraft were all glass. Most of the fuss came from the old Boeing guys. I think if our entire fleet was glass it would be a different story.
Yeah it's more a consolation prize, I'd stay on it all day long if it meant keeping that fat cat international lifestyle. Alas, back to the domestic life but at least it'll be a plane designed & built this century.

UPS went all glass and I hated it at first. Really had a hard time finding things. I still sometimes have to search a bit. I'm starting to like it better though and glad I got a chance to see it before I retire. It's been the way of the future for years and anything else I fly after retirement will likely have glass.

The PLI goes away when the flaps are up so all you have otherwise is the yoke shaking device. At least on the 75. I just went from round dials to glass with the upgraded 75/76 cockpits. It is kinda cool seeing the upper and lower margins on the speed tape. It funny to think all these years I didn't know how close to stick shaker I really was....

I was thinking about that in flight one day at 390 in a 321 where, in Boeing terms, the upper and lower margins were tight as heck. I wondered how many times I was in a precarious airspeed situation.

I was thinking about that in flight one day at 390 in a 321 where, in Boeing terms, the upper and lower margins were tight as heck. I wondered how many times I was in a precarious airspeed situation.
(Disclaimer: this is most definitely NOT my pic, but it is the type I fly.)

Nice to have a healthy margin, even up at max certified altitude:

D6A70B56-1FDF-4B11-A025-C2BDEF410845.jpeg

Back