Oh SWA…how many is this?

Can't think of a time I've ever created brake chatter (or presumably hot brakes). Have experienced it a few times with a CA landing. I also came from an airplane where you really didn't want to FAFO with the crappy (albeit carbon) brakes. So if anything, I tend to error on the side of too little manual braking and passing up more exits than most other cats. I don't stow the TRs until the 80 knot callout for the most part and if I'm on my game, I've overridden the auto brakes by then to avoid the lurching. But I like AB2 generally, it brakes at a rate that feels fairly comfortable to me and not overly aggressive to the pax, and is more in line with the (most) braking effort I use once I override. If there is no crosswind and no other reason to use them, I generally leave AB off (see discussion above about passing up runway exits). Obviously short/contaminated/etc, is a whole other discussion.

I'll say one weird true-confession, mostly unrelated -ism I have had to consciously beat out of my mind, is the habit we have in tactical mil aircraft of giving way to the inboard side of the runway once your speed/braking is under control to allow an outside "passing lane" if a member of your flight behind you has brake issues or has to go around or whatever. It makes absolutely no sense in this setting, but I've done it without thinking for so long, I have caught myself a couple times mindlessly moving a 737 over to the inboard half of the runway, creating lots of confusion approaching the control transfer ("uhhhhh where you going AMG?"......"oh yeah, where are we going.....maybe I'll just go back to the centerline real quick, don't mind me"). I don't think I do this anymore, but it was a habit that I had to be consciously aware of every time for a while. Some of us are just a surprise bag of previous bad habits, aren't we? :)

Can't think of a time I've ever created brake chatter (or presumably hot brakes). Have experienced it a few times with a CA landing. I also came from an airplane where you really didn't want to FAFO with the crappy (albeit carbon) brakes. So if anything, I tend to error on the side of too little manual braking and passing up more exits than most other cats. I don't stow the TRs until the 80 knot callout for the most part and if I'm on my game, I've overridden the auto brakes by then to avoid the lurching. But I like AB2 generally, it brakes at a rate that feels fairly comfortable to me and not overly aggressive to the pax, and is more in line with the (most) braking effort I use once I override. If there is no crosswind and no other reason to use them, I generally leave AB off (see discussion above about passing up runway exits). Obviously short/contaminated/etc, is a whole other discussion.

I'll say one weird true-confession, mostly unrelated -ism I have had to consciously beat out of my mind, is the habit we have in tactical mil aircraft of giving way to the inboard side of the runway once your speed/braking is under control to allow an outside "passing lane" if a member of your flight behind you has brake issues or has to go around or whatever. It makes absolutely no sense in this setting, but I've done it without thinking for so long, I have caught myself a couple times mindlessly moving a 737 over to the inboard half of the runway, creating lots of confusion approaching the control transfer ("uhhhhh where you going AMG?"......"oh yeah, where are we going.....maybe I'll just go back to the centerline real quick, don't mind me"). I don't think I do this anymore, but it was a habit that I had to be consciously aware of every time for a while. Some of us are just a surprise bag of previous bad habits, aren't we? :)

That would get my attention. My transfer of controls briefing is super simple. Keep it on the centerline and tell me when to take the aircraft.

The intent being that I don't take the aircraft when it is uncomfortable for the FO.

That would get my attention. My transfer of controls briefing is super simple. Keep it on the centerline and tell me when to take the aircraft.

The intent being that I don't take the aircraft when it is uncomfortable for the FO.

haha I think the once or twice I did it, the guy in the left seat was very confused, as I seemingly drifted, then unknown to them at the time, realized what id done and started correcting back. Like I said, it's something you'd only do in a mil airplane once you are slowed down to close to taxi speed, which made it even more awkward, probably looked more like cutting the corner onto the exit taxiway.

As for your technique, that sounds much better than mine :)

haha I think the once or twice I did it, the guy in the left seat was very confused, as I seemingly drifted, then unknown to them at the time, realized what id done and started correcting back. Like I said, it's something you'd only do in a mil airplane once you are slowed down to close to taxi speed, which made it even more awkward, probably looked more like cutting the corner onto the exit taxiway.

As for your technique, that sounds much better than mine :)

Get your ass on the cold side of the runway. Centerline is a brick wall.

As someone who had to DH back to SEA today on a 757-300, in the back section…there’s worse suck out there.
uuid=81470010-E610-4F66-AC8C-6F5EE3DA416E&library=1&type=1&mode=1&loc=true&cap=true.jpeg

DTW has DFW turns on the 737 now. Only a matter of time til we start seeing layovers there! 😎 Or so I hope. We used to have a decent amount of IAH layovers out of ATL too.
That particular category’s bid package has some really cool flying in it, or at least it did when the mock-awards showed me holding 73NA up there. (Woohoo for changes in bidding behavior, etc.)

I always forget DTW is a thing, despite the fact that I’ve spent a good amount of time up there at multiple previous employers.

Understandable that they would use the longer of the two runways. Aside from not being on CTAF, another question is why the crew was unable to see a vehicle on the runway downfield when taking the runway for takeoff, or during the commencement of the roll when they’d be looking down there? Assuming an airport ops vehicle would have overhead code lights on for visibility when on the runway, did it? 11/29 is only about a mile and a quarter long.
It's a very interesting case. Depending on where the vehicle was, I am not surprised they didn't see it. With their back to them until just prior to takeoff, I'm guessing that vehicle could've been way down at the far end, and possibly a Ford F150 with two wimpy lights. I always assumed everyone was pretty good on non-towered ops, but I have learned since, that military pilots aren't as familiar initially. I find it hard to believe that two pilots up there wouldnt be proficient in non-towered ops, but its possible. Perhaps they only pulled up ACARS on the MCDU, picked the runway based on that, and never bothered to check every NOTAM or listen to a recorded notam broadcast on ATIS. Maybe they felt that there wouldn't be anything on there since the tower was closed. Maybe they were on UNICOM by mistake, or possibly had a digit wrong, and they wouldn't know any different as they would only be broadcasting in the blind anyway.
Its frustrating to deal with Tower operations times like this, PVD is another. They know they have a large 121 push before tower opens or about the approximate takeoff time and it opens up a host of issues like this. Fortunate there wasnt a major accident with this one.

A Republic E75L separted for JFK 34 minutes before them.
Another E75L left for IAD five minutes before them.
A third E170 left for DTW eight minutes after them.

Those aircraft all departed off 36, while SWA was off runway 29.

One thing I takeaway from this is that the J-j-jetport tower should probably open a half-hour earlier for these scheduled departures.

A Republic E75L separted for JFK 34 minutes before them.
Another E75L left for IAD five minutes before them.
A third E170 left for DTW eight minutes after them.

Those aircraft all departed off 36, while SWA was off runway 29.

One thing I takeaway from this is that the J-j-jetport tower should probably open a half-hour earlier for these scheduled departures.

May be a staffing issue, who knows. Doesn’t change the fact that pilots should know how to work in and around an uncontrolled field. Apparently, three other ones knew how to just fine.

Back