Oh SWA…how many is this?

I cannot believe there are pilots this bad out there on the line, but I’ve had a couple of flights as a pax with unnecessarily heavy brake application and/or pumping post-touchdown, for no seeming good reason. I didn’t receive any specialized training on TR usage and braking when I got into the -200, besides the fact that you had to let the TR pins retract before trying to force the levers up past idle, hence fanning them on touchdown but before the nose was down. I just figured a little finesse with the brakes was appropriate, and operated as such. And it’s worked fine, with not even having to use them much when manually braking.

I think it's embarrassing. It's largely cultural and starts with the training department.

When I fly with someone for the first time I like to brief the exchange of controls because it just simplifies the entire thing. I always add that there is no rush off the runway. Using the next taxiway down the runway is fine. There probably isn't even an open gate for us. So, there is no need to slam the entire cabin into the seatbacks.

My one hope for the merger with Hawaiian is that the training department will be purged of ineffective teachers who are in the training department for the wrong reasons: extra pay and a better schedule. I'm hopeful that a lot of them will chase the 787 type rating and we will have relative peace at annual training. Not a time compressed event where every unrealistic scenario possible is rushed through without any learning occurring.

On my short time on the 737, AB3 and max reverse worked fine for every landing. That little extra reverse when going in to max does wonders IMO

IMG_0583.jpeg
Have you all considered flying a less terrible airplane?

Bunch of pansies whining about any job flying a jet airliner. You guys would’ve cried like like angry toddlers at the commuters in the 90s. Grow up.

On my short time on the 737, AB3 and max reverse worked fine for every landing. That little extra reverse when going in to max does wonders IMO

Overkill. Unless a short runway and/or contaminated.

Max rev will initially give the equivalent of AB3. And as you slow, effectiveness decreases which means AB3 will make brakes come on at a higher speed.

Bunch of pansies whining about any job flying a jet airliner. You guys would’ve cried like like angry toddlers at the commuters in the 90s. Grow up.

I may have never flown a plane that needed a belly pod to carry cargo (actually I guess I flew a caravan with one) but at least I still have my hearing!

damn I’m out here just imagining what its like to not land with autobrakes on and max reverse every single landing

for some reason this fleet likes to BRAKE TO VACATE which means pick the autobrake setting that the landing data says will get you off by your preferred intersection…
disregarding the fact the data has margins built in for things like, coming to a complete stop

Back