Oh Aviate 1

Wardogg

Meat Popsicle

Aviate, United Airlines’ pilot recruitment program – not to be mistaken for United Aviate Academy – is making a few program updates, including:

Captain upgrade requirement
Simplified transition requirements
Bachelor’s degree is no longer required
Part 135 opportunity
Transition Commitment
These changes were made to increase transparency and allow for more First Officer hour availability.

Below is a copy of the letter with full details sent out to all Aviate participants today at 11:30 AM CT.

Everyone is runnng dry on applicants. Like literally. And there's no forecast improvement or new wave coming forth.

This is actually driving the interview success rate much lower.

Which is good because it means some airlines aren't just going to find a warm body to sit behind a yoke (or beside a control stick for my airbus people)

SWA dropping the degree requirement, to only requiring a GED, which they will provide if needed.

You heard it here first…..

Once the degree requirement went away, most airlines are "High School Diploma or GED Equivalent"

Late 2023 is going to be absolute madness.

I think the "We need to acquire/merge to ensure market share and pricing stability" of yesterday is swiftly becoming "We need to acquire/merge to acquire labor".

You heard it here first, WHERE'S MAH SIZZLER?!

SWA dropping the degree requirement, to only requiring a GED, which they will provide if needed.

You heard it here first…..
Just about a week ago, I flew with an FO who had about 750 hrs 121 time, no 737 type, no TPIC, no prior mil. with an interview. Before I said congratulations, I think I said really?

Everyone is runnng dry on applicants. Like literally. And there's no forecast improvement or new wave coming forth.

Which is good because it means some airlines aren't just going to find a warm body to sit behind a yoke (or beside a control stick for my airbus people)
The number of student pilot certificates issued in 2022 was the highest since at least 2013 at 56,170. Also that statistic has increased every year since 2016. Granted it will take 2-3 years for an appreciable number of those new pilots to trickle up to the mainlines.

The number of student pilot certificates issued in 2022 was the highest since at least 2013 at 56,170. Also that statistic has increased every year since 2016. Granted it will take 2-3 years for an appreciable number of those new pilots to trickle up to the mainlines.
How many of those are foreign students in pilot kills here going back to fly for airlines in their home countries, though? I’m genuinely curious on the stats on that, if they can actually be found anywhere.

I would like to help solve this issue.

How many of those are foreign students in pilot kills here going back to fly for airlines in their home countries, though? I’m genuinely curious on the stats on that, if they can actually be found anywhere.
Good question, the FAA document I found didn’t include that info.

Of course. First of all there is a pilot shortage. (despite any opinions to the contrary) and 2. An economic truth is that all shortages are temporary. The market has increased pay, which is increasing the supply of new pilots which will at some point in the future reach a new equilibrium. Where that will be I don't know, but I doubt it will slide back much from where it is now.

Once the degree requirement went away, most airlines are "High School Diploma or GED Equivalent"

Late 2023 is going to be absolute madness.

I think the "We need to acquire/merge to ensure market share and pricing stability" of yesterday is swiftly becoming "We need to acquire/merge to acquire labor".

You heard it here first, WHERE'S MAH SIZZLER?!

Yes! Now, these are the kind of juicy rumors I log onto the internet for.

Back