Oh Aviate 1

Everyone is runnng dry on applicants. Like literally. And there's no forecast improvement or new wave coming forth.

This is actually driving the interview success rate much lower.

Which is good because it means some airlines aren't just going to find a warm body to sit behind a yoke (or beside a control stick for my airbus people)
Is 200/mo the plan for 2023 also? Have you seen a difference in the quality of OE students over the past year or two? The second question can be answered of adult beverages if it’s too much :biggrin:

Is 200/mo the plan for 2023 also? Have you seen a difference in the quality of OE students over the past year or two? The second question can be answered of adult beverages if it’s too much :biggrin:
Guys I had in early 2023 classes said that’s what they were told…can’t stop/won’t stop.

not speaking for @derg , but I flew with a soon to be LCP who said “you’re the best new hire FO I’ve had in over a year” and that he see’s a lot of the “I made it, now I do the minimum” types

Yes, continued.

The second question is better left for over beers as I have visibility on a number of sides to the topic and (a) I don't want to get quoted and (b) if I divulge how I know certain things on the internet, this number will triple this number in a few days:

Screenshot 2023-03-06 at 00.57.42.png

I don’t know where they find FOs for us to be honest.

recently I’ve flown with:
a pilot who is legally blind in one eye with a SODA,
several Australians on that E-3 visa thingy,
lots of FOs with just a little more than 1500 hrs that used to go to from CFI-ing to the regionals,
a lot of regional pilots who were only at their regional for 6 months or less - their issue was they didn’t fly at their regional because the regional didn’t have captains for them to fly with,
a pilot who’s still on his parents health insurance plan (because ours doesn’t kick in until 90 days of employment) but he says he’s going to stay on his parents because then he doesn’t have to pay or want to pay for his own insurance.

the majority of the new FOs I fly with are usually gone after a few weeks…. I don’t blame them one bit…. It’s hard to pass on a major.

I agree about the stagnation… qol has definitely gone down, trip quality is dubious. I just refuse to leave to go to the bottom of a seniority list …. if I reach the ”I’ve had it” point especially with the upcoming merger, i’ve decided that a post mid-life career change is in order and I’ll find something else to do for the 10 years before I can retire and contribute to the pilot shortage.
I would love to be a fly on the wall when the “Why Spirit?” question gets asked.

I don’t know where they find FOs for us to be honest.

recently I’ve flown with:
a pilot who is legally blind in one eye with a SODA,
several Australians on that E-3 visa thingy,
lots of FOs with just a little more than 1500 hrs that used to go to from CFI-ing to the regionals,
a lot of regional pilots who were only at their regional for 6 months or less - their issue was they didn’t fly at their regional because the regional didn’t have captains for them to fly with,
a pilot who’s still on his parents health insurance plan (because ours doesn’t kick in until 90 days of employment) but he says he’s going to stay on his parents because then he doesn’t have to pay or want to pay for his own insurance.

the majority of the new FOs I fly with are usually gone after a few weeks…. I don’t blame them one bit…. It’s hard to pass on a major.

I agree about the stagnation… qol has definitely gone down, trip quality is dubious. I just refuse to leave to go to the bottom of a seniority list …. if I reach the ”I’ve had it” point especially with the upcoming merger, i’ve decided that a post mid-life career change is in order and I’ll find something else to do for the 10 years before I can retire and contribute to the pilot shortage.

I’ve been lucky with fo’s but I live in a more senior base and try to work turns but I’ve heard stories from some of my friends. The only thing keeping me here now is my age/seniority and the fact that my dad has lung cancer and I’m senior enough to work my schedule/drop to help him out. I don’t blame anyone for leaving the company is doing nothing to keep them and not giving them a reason to stay.

On the other side of the coin I just flew with a guy who was previously an Emirates 777 Captain. He (somewhat obviously) did an outstanding job and made the trip a piece of cake. Great attitude, great pilot, tons of experience. We’ll hang onto him I think because he lives in domicile, but I made sure to buy him dinner and drinks and beg him to stay just in case.

Exact opposite happened to me.

A380 dude, came back to the states. Couldn't make a position report so save his life and landed still crabbed into the wind. Needed a lot of coaching. Which was weird because I pegged him initially as experienced. I guessed that the dude must have been sleeping or something during all the critical parts of his long haul flying career or something.

Then, there was the ex-sim and lead line check airman for 'unnamed asian airline' who literally tried to play the right seat CKA game with me all while not understanding the role and duties of the FO. Luckily he left my base and eventually my shop.

I've had to do a lot more 'mentoring' with some of the pilots I've been paired with. And I've had a lot of conversations about the overall experience issue at the majors. I'm trying to take a very JC attitude towards it and work to lift people up vs. going full boomer.

Oh no. It might take 5 months to finish a Private. Or 12 months to go 0 to Commercial. Or yikes, might not make it to United in 2 yrs.

Where’s the world’s smallest violin when you need one, for complaining about the program of the century.

See - you typed up that condescending comment because of the knowledge we know in this industry. Is it dramatic and unsurprising to hear this news? Absolutely.

Unfortunately though, these people were led on by the recruiters and fed lies. 5 months to do your PPL is not always the norm and that can be frustrating when you’re told you can get your certificates in a timelines then not receive them even close. More so the fact they are not seeing graduates hired through the program either, makes the culture change there.

I get when you run around angry at the world you would read this article and blast these young adults. But I can see their point because they are first hand gaining knowledge of how this industry is built on lies and deception to get you to sign dotted lines. I would probably get the word out to prospective students as well because these recruiters are out here giving false information on what to really expect on the zero to hero journey. I’m not saying every school is flawless because they aren’t. But I’m happy to see some students speak up and get the awareness out there.

Meh, I read the Reddit post. Came across like the author was overly stressed and taking it out on small stuff at the school. Combine that with probably not knowing much about the industry or flight schools before starting. In the same post the author complains about instructor shortages, and then later complains that they’re hiring external CFI’s…

Even if some complaints are legitimate, it’s a far cry from being lied to by recruiters.

Meh, I read the Reddit post. Came across like the author was overly stressed and taking it out on small stuff at the school. Combine that with probably not knowing much about the industry or flight schools before starting. In the same post the author complains about instructor shortages, and then later complains that they’re hiring external CFI’s…

Even if some complaints are legitimate, it’s a far cry from being lied to by recruiters.
You started this comment out by saying “they probably didn’t know” then later said “recruiters don’t lie”…

See - you typed up that condescending comment because of the knowledge we know in this industry. Is it dramatic and unsurprising to hear this news? Absolutely.

Unfortunately though, these people were led on by the recruiters and fed lies. 5 months to do your PPL is not always the norm and that can be frustrating when you’re told you can get your certificates in a timelines then not receive them even close. More so the fact they are not seeing graduates hired through the program either, makes the culture change there.

I get when you run around angry at the world you would read this article and blast these young adults. But I can see their point because they are first hand gaining knowledge of how this industry is built on lies and deception to get you to sign dotted lines. I would probably get the word out to prospective students as well because these recruiters are out here giving false information on what to really expect on the zero to hero journey. I’m not saying every school is flawless because they aren’t. But I’m happy to see some students speak up and get the awareness out there.

Sorry, disagree. It falls 100% on these kids entering the industry to know and do their research ahead of time. Before entering I had several mentors and knew a lot about the industry even before starting as a student pilot.

Let’s face it, we are starting to run out of the true passion crowd and reaching the rich parent crowd and kids who have nothing better to do that think, oh sweet I can make 400k+? Sign me up.

You started this comment out by saying “they probably didn’t know” then later said “recruiters don’t lie”…

You’re angry because you got lied to? Is that why my chicken dinner is drying out in the oven? Hey. They lie to everybody. They lie to the fish.

Sorry, disagree. It falls 100% on these kids entering the industry to know and do their research ahead of time. Before entering I had several mentors and knew a lot about the industry even before starting as a student pilot.

Let’s face it, we are starting to run out of the true passion crowd and reaching the rich parent crowd and kids who have nothing better to do that think, oh sweet I can make 400k+? Sign me up.
If only everyone could be as good and smart as you were when you were a student pilot. You should be on billboard

Back