Oh Aviate 1

Once the degree requirement went away, most airlines are "High School Diploma or GED Equivalent"

Late 2023 is going to be absolute madness.

I think the "We need to acquire/merge to ensure market share and pricing stability" of yesterday is swiftly becoming "We need to acquire/merge to acquire labor".

You heard it here first, WHERE'S MAH SIZZLER?!

Nah, the recession will squash that and management will be relieved to no longer have a labor shortage and bring the unions to the table for a concessionary contract to save the business. Isn’t that the cycle?

Yup. Seriously. What do people think would happen if China went all-out against Taiwan?

1. We let them take over 80% of all semiconductor manufacturing and have an advantage lasting 10-20 years
-or-
2. We fight.

But by all means, show me another scenario and I'll happily consider it.

I know of an airline that is running out of applicants. I suppose some would consider it to be a rung below the "majors" though. They can't be far behind.

Not saying this will ever be a steady state situation, but right now, it seems to be becoming a thing

I think before they lower the bar much further and before we have to worry about our cyborg AI overlords learning to interface with Boeing's antiquated VNAV, we will see one of two things happen.

1. They start handing out visas like candy and we are flooded by foreign expats, or...

2. Cabotage laws are loosened to allow foreign competition in US domestic markets

If I were an airline recruiter, I think a good investment would be a billboard around every FSI and CAE facility in the country, stating pay rates and retirement contributions and a big signing bonus to corporate pilots willing to make the switch. Then, go to a couple big FBOs in Teterboro, Orange County, Burbank, Aspen, Addison, etc and set up tents in the parking lot with a free catered lunch for biz jet pilots, and then offer them interviews and CJOs on the spot.

Heck if I were a recruiter for the big 3, I think I'd find out where Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant, SWA put their students during training, rent a ballroom, and offer a free dinner to anyone who sits for an immediate interview. If they're successful offer them a space positive ticket home and a first class ticket to the next class at that major.

I'm full of good ideas. :)

I know of an airline that is running out of applicants. I suppose some would consider it to be a rung below the "majors" though. They can't be far behind.

Not saying this will ever be a steady state situation, but right now, it seems to be becoming a thing

I really wish we could see the numbers of qualified applicants in the pool, and how many of those are in with all three. Many captains moving on from my shop aren’t even blasting all three majors, just applying for their top choice and getting a call.

I’d say probably a couple thousand applicants still, but that’s only about 18 months worth of hiring at the moment. Will 2,000-3,000 be competitive behind them, as in ATP mins? Who knows

I think before they lower the bar much further and before we have to worry about our cyborg AI overlords learning to interface with Boeing's antiquated VNAV, we will see one of two things happen.

1. They start handing out visas like candy and we are flooded by foreign expats, or...

2. Cabotage laws are loosened to allow foreign competition in US domestic markets

If I were an airline recruiter, I think a good investment would be a billboard around every FSI and CAE facility in the country, stating pay rates and retirement contributions and a big signing bonus to corporate pilots willing to make the switch. Then, go to a couple big FBOs in Teterboro, Orange County, Burbank, Aspen, Addison, etc and set up tents in the parking lot with a free catered lunch for biz jet pilots, and then offer them interviews and CJOs on the spot.

Heck if I were a recruiter for the big 3, I think I'd find out where Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant, SWA put their students during training, rent a ballroom, and offer a free dinner to anyone who sits for an immediate interview. If they're successful offer them a space positive ticket home and a first class ticket to the next class at that major.

I'm full of good ideas. :)

No need to waste the money for the ballroom or dinner at the newhire training hotels.. Every new FO that’s just completed IOE I’ve flown with already has an interview date with American Delta United and they drop off the seniority list shortly thereafter never to be seen again.

that’s the usual line of discussion when I fly with a new FO. “Hey, im Dave, I’m just off OE…“. My response, “great welcome to Yellow…. . When is your interview date?” “. I’ve got American after this trip…”. Then I spend the trip explaining how to use Americans NTRP to commute to LGA. And explain the positive space difference between A1 and A3 at American and what an HI6 is.

Last edited:
No need to waste the money for the ballroom or dinner at the newhire training hotels.. Every new FO that’s just completed IOE I’ve flown with already has an interview date with American Delta United and they drop off the seniority list shortly thereafter never to be seen again.

that’s the usual line of discussion when I fly with a new FO. “Hey, im Dave, I’m just off OE…“. My response, “great welcome to Yellow…. . When is your interview date?” “. I’ve got American after this trip…”. Then I spend the trip explaining how to use Americans NTRP to commute to LGA. And explain the positive space difference between A1 and A3 at American and what an HI6 is.
It sucks being a CA at yellow right now. The stagnation because we lose so many FO’s getting old. Hell in LAS there have been people who upgraded 4 years ago who are still on reserve. As a commuter I’ve thought of leaving many times with 7 years seniority so I can be home based but I can’t bring myself to do it.

My buddy just finished IOE at an airline he luvs and subsequently got a call from Kirby's hangar for a looksee.

I don’t know where they find FOs for us to be honest.

recently I’ve flown with:
a pilot who is legally blind in one eye with a SODA,
several Australians on that E-3 visa thingy,
lots of FOs with just a little more than 1500 hrs that used to go to from CFI-ing to the regionals,
a lot of regional pilots who were only at their regional for 6 months or less - their issue was they didn’t fly at their regional because the regional didn’t have captains for them to fly with,
a pilot who’s still on his parents health insurance plan (because ours doesn’t kick in until 90 days of employment) but he says he’s going to stay on his parents because then he doesn’t have to pay or want to pay for his own insurance.

the majority of the new FOs I fly with are usually gone after a few weeks…. I don’t blame them one bit…. It’s hard to pass on a major.

I agree about the stagnation… qol has definitely gone down, trip quality is dubious. I just refuse to leave to go to the bottom of a seniority list …. if I reach the ”I’ve had it” point especially with the upcoming merger, i’ve decided that a post mid-life career change is in order and I’ll find something else to do for the 10 years before I can retire and contribute to the pilot shortage.

On the other side of the coin I just flew with a guy who was previously an Emirates 777 Captain. He (somewhat obviously) did an outstanding job and made the trip a piece of cake. Great attitude, great pilot, tons of experience. We’ll hang onto him I think because he lives in domicile, but I made sure to buy him dinner and drinks and beg him to stay just in case.

I really wish we could see the numbers of qualified applicants in the pool, and how many of those are in with all three.
Eskimo January pilot call said they had 500 applicants and get 35 qualified apps a week :oops:
Pilot group is at like 3,200 right now and they wanna hire 50 a month (600 for the year) with 20ish a month leaving. Psssh good luck with dat!

Eskimo January pilot call said they had 500 applicants and get 35 qualified apps a week :oops:
Pilot group is at like 3,200 right now and they wanna hire 50 a month (600 for the year) with 20ish a month leaving. Psssh good luck with dat!

It was only 12 for February thankfully.

I do wish they had held onto the degree requirement. I know from experience that this greatly changes the nature of flight deck conversations...

Back