Oh Alaska(n)

FUD implies trying to use fear, uncertainty, and doubt/division to create animosity or make a pilot believe that [company offer] is the best and to take it now. I do not offer you that solution, nor would I accept that myself. I will work under the current contract until we get the union ask (or close to the union ask), and I'm willing to wait for that instead of trying to settle for anything less. I believe we are (or should be) on the same page so far.

What I wrote above a few posts is a simple observation of the current world events. There’s a war going on with a whole bunch of people dying, oil at astonishing highs, inflation at 40 yr highs, and an economy now in which the Fed is OFFICIALLY between a rock and a hard place. The only reason this house of cards hasn't fallen is because consumer spending is still big/strong in the US. Unless oil and inflation decrease (which I don't see happening anytime soon), how long before people decide to save more and spend less? The Fed has to raise interest rates but now they are in a precarious situation. Once those start coming up, with oil still high and inflation (IHMO) not easily tamed, it's only a matter of time before consumer Americans say "I'll just wait 12 months from now when it might be cheaper." And there you have it, slowed consumer spending. In this environment, next comes recession.

Time will tell and maybe I'm just being a pessimist, but I think the math just doesn't play out any other way. IHMO we've guaranteed ourselves a recession. How big and how long largely depends on the world events, oil, Fed, and consumers (spending).

This is what I’d ask you stop doing ^

There’s a world that we live in where some people are economists and they spend their lives becoming experts at the economy. There’s a whole different group of people called pilots that become experts at operating heavy machinery.

I know this is hard to hear but your not an economist and I don’t care what you think about the economy. Because you’re good at operating heavy machines and that’s about it.

We just need to fly the contract and fly safe. That is in our control. The economic environment is not in our control. We don’t need to discuss it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

There’s a world that we live in where some people are economists and they spend their lives becoming experts at the economy. There’s a whole different group of people called pilots that become experts at operating heavy machinery.

I know this is hard to hear but your not an economist and don’t care what you think about the economy. Because you’re good at operating heavy machines and that’s about it.

We just need to fly the contract and fly safe. That is in our control. The economic environment is not in our control. We don’t need to discuss if.

Liberal destroys conservative snowflake using facts and logic.

man, it looks WHACK when you invert it

Liberal destroys conservative snowflake using facts and logic.

man, it looks WHACK when you invert it

Well I’m not a liberal but I’m really only good at operating heavy machines that fly.

So I wouldn’t pontificate my political beliefs…

Since it would only steer the conversation away from the fact we have one pilot on reserve for April for FOs in the Seattle base….

Since it would only steer the conversation away from the fact we have one pilot on reserve for April for FOs in the Seattle base….
We've been running at or near zero reserves for awhile too, glad to have finished my last trip for a good while now...

39fb42882437e0cfeb62e322c2ab8748--tumblr-funny-funny-memes.jpg

Have two more buddies that have left AS for AA and DL in the last few weeks, hopefully AS mgt gets their shizz sorted and you guys get a solid contract.

We've been running at or near zero reserves for awhile too, glad to have finished my last trip for a good while now...

39fb42882437e0cfeb62e322c2ab8748--tumblr-funny-funny-memes.jpg

Have two more buddies that have left AS for AA and DL in the last few weeks, hopefully AS mgt gets their shizz sorted and you guys get a solid contract.

They have been turning the screws on the pilot group in SEA since the contract expired. First vacation trades went away along with the open vacation time. It’s back now but hobbled. The ability to trade now is almost gone since there is no reserve coverage. QOL is slowly being eroded by the day. So people are leaving because there are better opportunities out there.

I’m not sure what management thinks is going to happen for April but if more than one pilot calls in sick we are going to see a lot of cancellations.

I know this is hard to hear but your not an economist and I don’t care what you think about the economy. Because you’re good at operating heavy machines and that’s about it.

We just need to fly the contract and fly safe. That is in our control. The economic environment is not in our control. We don’t need to discuss it.

Pilots are on our negotiation team. They’re also heavy equipment operators, with knowledge gained via courses/sessions through ALPA. ALPA also has an EFA division that no doubt looks at the market.

I’m sorry, but just because you are a pilot doesn’t mean you can’t educate yourself to what’s going on and study the economy. You literally mean to tell me you are clueless and haven’t at least been preparing for a downturn?

Pilots are on our negotiation team. They’re also heavy equipment operators, with a knowledge gained via courses/sessions through ALPA. ALPA also has an EFA division that no doubt looks at the market.

I’m sorry, but just because you are a pilot doesn’t mean you can’t educate yourself to what’s going on and study the economy. You literally mean to tell me you are clueless and haven’t at least been preparing for a downturn?

How does that matter in relation to getting a good contract? I trust our Union. I won’t spread FUD when we are negotiating a contract. If I felt that way I’d keep it to myself. I’m going to fly safe and fly the contract. I’m going to stay educated in the process by listening to the Unions various forms of communication. I’m volunteering for the Union.

You’re contradicting yourself yet again. Why not trust our union’s educated heavy machinery operators who have proposed a deal with their knowledge of the economy? You just said they are making decisions with their knowledge yet you’re continuing to bring up economic calamity in every one of your posts. Why are you spreading FUD about a recession and not trusting the process?

My economic views and financial planning is my business. I am not going to bring it up and I’m not going to make it part of our contract. The only thing we have to fear is our own fear over things we can’t control. Fly the contract, fly safe.

How does that matter in relation to getting a good contract? I trust our Union. I won’t spread FUD when we are negotiating a contract. If I felt that way I’d keep it to myself. I’m going to fly safe and fly the contract. I’m going to stay educated in the process by listening to the Unions various forms of communication. I’m volunteering for the Union.

I commend you for your volunteerism. I agree about staying engaged in the process. And whether you like it or not, the economy matters too.

You’re contradicting yourself yet again. Why not trust our union’s educated heavy machinery operators who have proposed a deal with their knowledge of the economy? You just said they are making decisions with their knowledge yet you’re continuing to bring up economic calamity in every one of your posts. Why are you spreading FUD about a recession and not trusting the process?

Did I ever say I'm not trusting them? I didn't make any comment on the process or not trusting the process. Not sure where you are making the jump from A to E. I'm made simple observations on what the state of the world (conflict) and economy (oil, inflation) is. Who's to say you wont get a new contract this year? We may very well. It still doesn't change what is going on. My views would not change even if the ALPA ask was signed today. The two are not related in terms of what I am pointing out about where we as a nation are headed.

My economic views and financial planning is my business. I am not going to bring it up and I’m not going to make it part of our contract. The only thing we have to fear is our own fear over things we can’t control. Fly the contract, fly safe.

Sure, but you'd be wise to plan accordingly.

it's only a matter of time before consumer Americans say "I'll just wait 12 months from now when it might be cheaper." And there you have it, slowed consumer spending. In this environment, next comes recession.

I dunno what to think, but I'll say that I have been doing anything but spending wildly on consumer items in the last couple years.....and have put away about 20 billion dollars (ok not really, but the greatest amount in my life) into investments and a healthy rainy day fund/fun things in the future fund. There might actually be a lot more of us than you think, who will be able to cash in on said consumer items when the things actually get cheaper. Maybe not a wholesale collapse/recession. Might just be the fiscally unwise who blew their load the second they had some spare change. I'm willing to believe a lot of consumers did not go buck wild in the last couple years for many reasons....uncertainty, a sense of wanting a fall back should things turn south again, etc. I'm not particularly stressed about the economic outlook beyond a few months. I'm probably wrong, and you can tell me I was, but I hope not to be.

Good god, man, calm down! He’s not engaging in FUD. He made a very simple comment (and frankly, an almost inarguable one) about world events and the economy. If you and others can’t handle that, then that’s on you, not him.

It’s like a constant world is ending prediction and 90% of the time these “experts” are wrong.

Is there really only going to be one reserve for the whole SEA base? How is that even going to be operationally functional system-wide?

Is there really only going to be one reserve for the whole SEA base? How is that even going to be operationally functional system-wide?

Yes, it looks like that is the case for SEA based reserves. They’ll most likely utilize reserves from the other bases to the extent that they can.

Back