Offical PUBNAT 8 is OUT

hey I took the test in the beginning of November in Baltimore and my score was 98.1.. Do I need to wait to hear from the FAA or are their other things I need to do

hey I took the test in the beginning of November in Baltimore and my score was 98.1.. Do I need to wait to hear from the FAA or are their other things I need to do

You've got a long road of "waiting with no word" coming your way. You'll get an e-mail in a few weeks asking you to go to a website and pick your two state preferences. Until then, get comfortable, because this is going to be a long ride.

You've got a long road of "waiting with no word" coming your way. You'll get an e-mail in a few weeks asking you to go to a website and pick your two state preferences. Until then, get comfortable, because this is going to be a long ride.
hey thanks for the response, I am sure you get a lot of people who post once and ask the exact same questions. I appreciate it thanks

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but I thought I'd put in the update just in case. My husband and I just took the test in Arlington, so after we got our scores, he called to check what the "next step" would be and was told that the panels would be meeting in April. I found it odd they didn't mention anything about the GeoPrefs, but maybe it was just overlooked.

06/29/08-PUBNAT4
08/26/08-AT-SAT Selection
10/10/08-AT-SAT (87.2)
11/25/08-Geo Prefs (MO, TN)
12/09/08-PUBNAT7
01/08/09-Referral List
01/29/09-PEPC Invite (SUS)
02/27/09-NYC PEPC - TOL

Have you been waiting 10 months since getting your TOL? Seems like the other waiting periods are a month here, a month there. Waiting almost a year with a TOL would be unbearable... is that normal?

Have you been waiting 10 months since getting your TOL? Seems like the other waiting periods are a month here, a month there. Waiting almost a year with a TOL would be unbearable... is that normal?

It's plenty normal, and yes, I've had the TOL since February 2009. Because of hiring needs, there are roughly 25% of us that are having to wait until at least October 2010 before we get anything, though things do sometimes change. There are a lot of us in the "still waiting" boat. Don't expect to get to OKC a month after getting your TOL.

SO I have been in training for about a week at the academy here and the faa hiring rep came in and talked to us yesterday, and told us we had a golden ticket that you guys wont have the opporunity to get.. that you will not be hired until fy 2011...but they are also washing people out like crazy... just a heads up

SO I have been in training for about a week at the academy here and the faa hiring rep came in and talked to us yesterday, and told us we had a golden ticket that you guys wont have the opporunity to get.. that you will not be hired until fy 2011...but they are also washing people out like crazy... just a heads up

what does this mean?

"we have a golden ticket that you guys wont have the opportunity to get" <-- huh?

They dont plan on hiring pubnat 8 applicants until FY'11? So we wait, its not like none of us are going to get hired... they must need people or they wouldnt have made the announcement!

what does this mean?

"we have a golden ticket that you guys wont have the opportunity to get" <-- huh?

They dont plan on hiring pubnat 8 applicants until FY'11? So we wait, its not like none of us are going to get hired... they must need people or they wouldnt have made the announcement!

Yes...it is like that. They may need people, but they can't afford it.

I'm not saying we aren't up a creek, but I think there is something that people are failing to understand.

The FAA is a non-profit entity.

Federal services like...USPS, DMV, and FAA aren't allowed to make a profit. Guess what...the aren't allowed to lose money either. Can you image how difficult it is to run a multi-million dollar business that is required by the government to exactly break even at the end of every year?

Just because they will need new controllers in 2 years, doesn't mean that they can start hiring them now so that they'll be ready by then. They simply don't have the capital to plan ahead. They can't make long term investments like hiring people before they are needed.

The money that they do have for this kind of thing goes into infrastructure because you can write contracts to pay over time. That's not something that a person can accept. You would not be willing to accept two years salary in installments over the next ten years. They also can't pay your salary and the salary of the controller you're going to replace. So they have to wait until that person actually leaves.

To make matters worse, the economy hit the fan. A lot of people aren't feeling like it is as bad as it is because we still have our creature comforts, but it is that bad. This means that people who would have retired...won't. I also means that no one is flying.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand...a new contact has been ratified that pays controllers way more than they have been making, so there is less incentive to retire and less money to train.

I tried to be clear about this before. There is only a very, very, very small chance that you might actually get this job.

I'm starting to believe that I have about as much chance of getting this job as I do of winning the lottery. Not much. Oh well, time to move on to Plan B - whatever the heck that is.

I'm holding on that in 2 years it'll put money in the bank. For now, I'm willing to go anywhere, and do anything... like many Americans.

yeah they are soo strick right now that they sent this girl home (fired her) for going to the wrong class on the first day...all im saying is that they really are tighting the raines around this faa thing.

I'm not saying we aren't up a creek, but I think there is something that people are failing to understand.

Federal services like...USPS, DMV, and FAA aren't allowed to make a profit. Guess what...the aren't allowed to lose money either. Can you image how difficult it is to run a multi-million dollar business that is required by the government to exactly break even at the end of every year?

Just because they will need new controllers in 2 years, doesn't mean that they can start hiring them now so that they'll be ready by then. They simply don't have the capital to plan ahead. They can't make long term investments like hiring people before they are needed.

The money that they do have for this kind of thing goes into infrastructure because you can write contracts to pay over time. That's not something that a person can accept. You would not be willing to accept two years salary in installments over the next ten years. They also can't pay your salary and the salary of the controller you're going to replace. So they have to wait until that person actually leaves.

To make matters worse, the economy hit the fan. A lot of people aren't feeling like it is as bad as it is because we still have our creature comforts, but it is that bad. This means that people who would have retired...won't. I also means that no one is flying.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand...a new contact has been ratified that pays controllers way more than they have been making, so there is less incentive to retire and less money to train.

I tried to be clear about this before. There is only a very, very, very small chance that you might actually get this job.

Sounds good, but dont controllers HAVE to retire at 55? I always thought that that was the reason for the so called shortage the last few years. Not voluntary retirements rather mandatory retirements.

Its all good though, if I gett hired great. If not, oh well. Id rather not sit and try to speculate.

Another thing to consider is the politicians currently in DC. They seem to really enjoy spending money, especially on government agencies... While the FAA may not be on the top of the list, I dont see its funding being cut any time soon.

As far as the new contract for controllers, wouldn't if actually favor hiring more poeple? I am not fully familiar with what was included, but I wouldnt doubt that work rules and scheduling were changed in a way that would require more employees... I could be wrong though

Aren't you still instructing up at UND?

Yes I am, I made below the poverty level while working Full Time up here. If you're really aggressive, you can get 40 hrs a week by working 14 hr days everyday non-stop. I have 50 hr weeks booked, but between maintenance and weather issues, I've been averaging 25 on good weeks, and 10 on bad. I'm ready for an 8 hr shift job.

Yes I am, I made below the poverty level while working Full Time up here. If you're really aggressive, you can get 40 hrs a week by working 14 hr days everyday non-stop. I have 50 hr weeks booked, but between maintenance and weather issues, I've been averaging 25 on good weeks, and 10 on bad. I'm ready for an 8 hr shift job.

What did you major in? I'm sure you can find an office or retail job in the Grand Forks area.

You seem to know a lot about the FAA. Does this "hiring freeze" apply to CTI as well as OTS, or only OTS? I might consider doing a cheap CTI program to give myself a better chance. Also, do you know if contract towers or other non-federal towers are hiring?

Wow, now I'm really glad I didn't waste my time going and taking the test at DAB. Was going to until they said "show up at 7:30". No thanks.

Back