NWA to pare its fleet, cut up to 900 jobs

JEP

Does It Really Matter....?
Staff member
I know Doug's rule about posting the articel, but this is a register site:

[ QUOTE ]
Northwest Airlines, facing a lethal combination of persistently high fuel prices and stubbornly low fares, will reduce its fleet by 30 airplanes in 2005 and slash up to 900 high-paying mechanics jobs from its Minnesota payroll.

For airline workers, passengers and investors, the retiring of planes and a new round of job cuts are fresh reminders that the steep, four-year decline in the fortunes of large airlines shows no signs of lifting, even as Northwest and other airline executives win wage reductions from some or all of their employees.

"Just when you think you've hit bottom, they pull it out from underneath you again," said Jeff Mathews, contract coordinator with the mechanics union, the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA).

Northwest had 451 planes in its fleet at the end of 2004. Most, if not all, of the 30 that will be parked are DC-9s, which have an average age of 33.8 years and seat between 78 and 125 passengers. On Monday, Northwest said it would freeze the number of domestic seat miles it will fly this year at 2004 levels.

A NWA mechanic inspects an Airbus engine.Glen StubbeStar TribuneIt blamed a glut of seats in the U.S. aviation market.

It's unclear how Twin Cities passengers will be affected by Northwest's decision to take some planes out of service, but a company spokesman said the airline expects to reduce the frequency of flights on some routes.

The Eagan-based carrier said Wednesday that it will shut down a DC-9 heavy-maintenance check line in the Twin Cities and not bring back six planes that had been scheduled to fly this year. The immediate impact: 130 mechanic jobs will be cut. Notices will go out in the next couple of weeks, and mechanics could use their seniority to take jobs elsewhere in the Northwest system -- displacing less senior workers in the process -- or simply accept a layoff and leave the Northwest payroll.

Another dozen AMFA members who work in a Twin Cities composite shop also will be given notices because they support the heavy maintenance work.

Before the 2001 terrorist attacks, AMFA represented about 5,300 Northwest workers in the Twin Cities. That number has fallen to about 3,150, according to Ted Ludwig, president of AMFA Local 33 in Bloomington.

"I was here when we had the Iraq war layoffs when 1,683 guys got their pink slips in one day," Ludwig said. "This is just something that we've grown accustomed to and we will deal with it one day at a time as it comes."

Northwest said Wednesday that it will take another 24 planes out of service, but it declined to give a timetable for those changes.

"The first reduction will take place in June while additional aircraft will be phased out later this year," the Northwest pilots union said in a memo to pilots on Wednesday night.

"Because a large number of DC-9s are owned rather than leased, Northwest indicated it can realize a net savings by removing these aircraft from routes that are identified as unprofitable," the pilots union said.

Taking two dozen planes out of service will mean cutting an extra 700 to 800 mechanic jobs in the Twin Cities, where workers take planes apart, inspect them for cracks and wear, and rebuild them over the course of weeks. By eliminating so-called heavy maintenance work on its DC-9s, Northwest said it will close two of its maintenance lines operated by an outside vendor in Texas.

The worst-case scenario for the mechanics union is 930 job cuts this year.

But three other large Northwest unions -- the pilots, flight attendants and ground workers -- are not expecting job cuts.

Management does not plan to furlough any more Northwest pilots this year, according to the Northwest branch of the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA). But the company also does not expect to call more pilots back to work, and about 500 are still on furlough.

Bob Krabbe, an official with the Professional Flight Attendants Association (PFAA), said Northwest is not expected to furlough more flight attendants. Instead, he said, any changes in staffing levels will be managed through voluntary leaves.

Union leader Steve Dunn said his union, the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM), has been notified that job cuts for IAM ground workers are not planned.

However, the flight attendants, ground workers and mechanics unions all are in mediated contract negotiations with Northwest. Management is seeking at least $950 million per year in labor savings from its workers, and CEO Doug Steenland has said that target could go higher.

Some mechanics believe Northwest is trying to shift more of its domestic flying to regional partners such as Pinnacle Airlines, where pay levels are lower and planes are newer, and thus require less maintenance.

While the number of seat miles flown by Northwest pilots will be flat this year, Northwest projected that its flight capacity for regional carriers will increase by 32 to 34 percent.

"We are moving into the busiest part of the travel season. I don't know why we'd be reducing capacity," Ludwig said. "I believe they are moving these flights over to Pinnacle."

Northwest said it has not made a policy decision to shift a major portion of its flying to Pinnacle.

"The reduction in Northwest domestic capacity will currently not be offset by regional jet flying," Northwest spokesman Thomas Becher said.

Joel Denney, an airline analyst at Piper Jaffray & Co., said industry insiders have been waiting for some airlines to go out of business because of massive losses that have been posted over the past four years.

Instead, United Airlines, the nation's second-biggest carrier, and US Airways continue to languish in bankruptcy court. Delta Air Lines is once again warning that it might have to file for bankruptcy protection and Continental Airlines announced Tuesday that its employees must approve concessionary contracts by March 30 or it will insist on even deeper labor cuts.

Last year, Northwest lost $878 million, and it has lost about $2.5 billion on its operations over the past four years. Federal aid and the sale of some major assets helped lower its total net loss.

"You've got more capacity than the market can handle, which is why you are seeing Northwest holding back," Denney said. The airline is attempting to reduce losses and boost fares, he said. With fuel prices remaining at record levels, Denney said, there are no signs of significant improvement in the airline industry.

AMFA leaders had been fearful that Northwest would phase out heavy maintenance jobs in the Twin Cities, because the airline plans to tear down an airport hangar to make way for more gates.

Ludwig and other union members have urged members of the Minnesota Legislature and Metropolitan Airports Commission (MAC) to block the further loss of mechanic jobs.

But the MAC and Gov. Tim Pawlenty have shown strong support for Northwest's airport expansion plan, and the Legislature has not inserted itself into the airline's labor-management relations.

Liz Fedor is at

lfedor@startribune.com.

[/ QUOTE ]

What happens to the DC-9 pilots if they are all phased out? Are they all "let go", or are they trained on a new aircraft, or what?

They'll probably post a 'surplus' bid, displace into other aircraft or bid up into something else.

They're probably still recieving A319/320 deliveries so I betchya they phase out a DC-9 whenever a new A319/320 arrives.

Strange thing is, some breathless analyst was all excited about how NWA owned the DC-9's and how great they were. Now, NWA is accelerating retirement of the -9's and the analyst is eating a little crow.

Notice I haven't a lick of respect for 'airline analysts'?
smile.gif

95% of airline analyst have never worked for an airline. They know only what they get told by an insider or at a news conference. They make more guesses or create stuff for a story. Prime example was when that Bombardier 600 crashed at EWR. The analyst all started guessing at what went wrong.

It should be awhile until all the -9s are gone as they make up more than a 1/3 of their fleet.

Or at least I hope so...the main reason I fly NW is you can still get mainline on a majority of flights. When the -9s go, the CRJ will start sneaking in on a lot of routes and I can kiss my upgrades good-bye. But it is starting already, when booking a trip this week, I noted a CRJ is showing up on the STL-DTW route. We've had the occasional Avro for a while, but that's ok...I love flying on that thing!

Senator to try and block NWA expansion at KMSP

It should get interesting. Notice a couple of the quotes regarding Mgmt./Union:

[ QUOTE ]
Senator vows to block Northwest expansion plans
Conrad Defiebre, Star Tribune
March 19, 2005 AIRPORT0319

Backed by Northwest Airlines mechanics who said the firm's push to outsource their work compromises air safety, a charge the airline denies, Sen. Satveer Chaudhary vowed Friday to block the airline's expansion plans at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport if it goes ahead with up to 900 layoffs in Minnesota.

"Under no circumstances should this company expect the taxpayers of Minnesota to give them a monopoly on our busiest transportation hub while cutting Minnesota jobs and hurting Minnesota families," he said.

About 60 mechanics crowded a State Capitol news conference with the Fridley DFLer in front of signs reading "Save jobs for safe planes."

Several of the workers claimed the cutbacks announced Wednesday would transfer jetliner maintenance to crews lacking the FBI background checks, training and certification required of mechanics in Minnesota.

Ted Ludwig, president of the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association Local 33, held up broken parts of a plane brake that he said "blew up" on an MSP taxiway because of shoddy work done elsewhere.

"We don't know who's maintaining these planes," Chaudhary said.

Ludwig also released a letter he received Thursday from Julie Hagen Showers, Northwest's vice president for labor relations, saying that his public questioning of the safety of airplanes maintained in foreign countries "may be putting your career at risk."

The letter added: "The introduction of unfounded safety concerns to the public domain can have only one purpose and effect - to deter passenger air travel on Northwest ... Such conduct would, therefore, subject any Northwest employee responsible for that conduct to discipline up to and including discharge ...

"The safety of our aircraft and flight operations has always been a paramount concern at Northwest ... Moreover, every major air carrier in the United States engages in similar maintenance outsourcing, most to much higher degrees."

Chaudhary said Northwest's $862 million plan to expand the airport and move all competing airlines to the satellite Humphrey terminal by 2007 should get no public support under current circumstances.

"Based on this plan to cut jobs, it's clear that Northwest has not earned the goodwill of Minnesota's taxpayers and should not be rewarded with their money or a state-sanctioned monopoly," Chaudhary said. "The state of Minnesota needs partners, not competing interests."

His bill to slap an immediate, indefinite moratorium on the expansion project will get a Senate hearing in early April.

[/ QUOTE ]

To the other pilots out there, what is the consensus (if there is any) regarding outside vendor maintenance? Do these places really lack the certifications req'd? How about their training?

This will get interesting here because NWA want to move all non-partner carriers to the HHH Charter Terminal and leave the Lindbergh Terminal for NWA and NWA partner carriers exclusively.

[ QUOTE ]
95% of airline analyst have never worked for an airline.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recently had an interview with an airport authority that has been tapped to handle the ground service for new ASA flights. That's right. The AIRPORT AUTHORITY is handling the ground service instead of Delta/ASA. Their current plan is to staff 3 people per flight to cover load and unloading pax and bags, fueling and cleaning the aircraft. Oh yeah, and they plan on turning it in 30 minutes or less. Part of the reason they even got jet service into this area was Mesabs's 80% average load factor on the Saabs. That and the money the airport is paying Delta to get service running. I asked the guy how many people they had working this (15 total for the staffing, including supervisory staff) with airline experience. His response was along the lines of "Well, none. But we've watched Northwest for years and have looked at Delta's training program." I basically said thanks very much for the interview, and if you CAN turn a CRJ-200 on time with a full load on and off with three employees, I'll send you a fruit basket. It's be tough, if not impossible, to pull off.

Hmmm? Doug, you think that maybe Northwest has maybe 2.5 DC9's, compared for every new aircraft ordered?

Mike

Phil

I rode on those RJ's, I only ordered the ticket because I thought that it was an Airbus, well, never again, those RJ's suck...

[ QUOTE ]
It should be awhile until all the -9s are gone as they make up more than a 1/3 of their fleet.

Or at least I hope so...the main reason I fly NW is you can still get mainline on a majority of flights. When the -9s go, the CRJ will start sneaking in on a lot of routes and I can kiss my upgrades good-bye. But it is starting already, when booking a trip this week, I noted a CRJ is showing up on the STL-DTW route. We've had the occasional Avro for a while, but that's ok...I love flying on that thing!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not Exactly. United, for one, has an upgraded section even in some of its 70 seat RJs.First, Biz and Coach....But I guess you are refering to NW only, so you may be right. Time to switch!
smile.gif

Our CR7s for United have first class seats. It shocks me to ever see them empty. The CR9s for America West used to have first class, but they felt too many people were not paying the price to sit there (using miles instead), so we're now all coach.

What a great way to treat your loyal passengers, huh...
spin2.gif

Back