Nothing wrong with a little love tap' between airliners

The captain responded however everything was fine and she continued with the takeoff about 2 minutes after the Boeing 767.
Ooooooh. Got it now.

....gets ripped a new one.

Didn't read this. I don't listen to black people.

I don't listen to Indians either! :)

You kind of have to when you call any kind of tech support.
Ba dum TSST!

Obviously in good humor and non offensive....

*Sniff* *Sniff* What IS that smell??? *Looks at bottom of shoes* Nope, not there.... My god, it wreaks of hypocrisy in here....:D:sarcasm::sarcasm: <---I'll just throw a couple of these in here to make it all ok. After all, I wouldn't want to ruin my career or anything....

Nah, the Rick-Roll MADE your career. Trust me.

Sent from my TRS-80

Picture a frat house with a bunch of dudes sitting around. Only replace those stereotypical frat dudes (and a few cool chicks!) with "liberal nerds" (making it a liberal nerdfest), who also happen to be pilots. Keep in mind most of these liberal nerds all met eachother in person and became friends whilst "networking" and participating in drunken debauchery in Vegas (hope to make it one day! :) ).

Is it any surprise then that the kids say stupid offensive stuff and the grown-ups just roll their eyes instead of getting all up in arms?

Chasen's only mistake was saying that on a public forum, instead of to his friends in PRIVATE (where the sarcasm would be understood). ;)

no the mistake is thinking that that would be understood...that is the insidiousness of prejudice....that you laugh about it, but when the time comes for a promotion or a choice assignment, the same wink wink, nudge nudge translates into an "us" vs. "them".
the problem continues to be in thinking that the thought is harmless....

no the mistake is thinking that that would be understood...that is the insidiousness of prejudice....that you laugh about it, but when the time comes for a promotion or a choice assignment, the same wink wink, nudge nudge translates into an "us" vs. "them".
the problem continues to be in thinking that the thought is harmless....

Sigh. Apparently I'm also guilty of assuming I'd be understood, because I meant his mistake was assuming his "sarcasm" was understood. If someone actually thinks a prejudicial thought, and believes it, then that's a different issue entirely. Someone laughing because they're horrified someone would say something awful is different than laughing because you agree with that awful thing.

I guess I'm giving Chasen the benefit of the doubt.

I know and love Chasen, I really do! He was the last guy to put me on a flight when I left SkyWest...I don't think he really thinks that way, but that type of commentary continues to advance the idea (joking or not) that "no wonder they did a boneheaded thing it was a WOMAN" that sub dialogue is damaging... just my opinion.

Sorry, but I don't get it. Is that supposed to be funny? I thought blatantly offensive sexist humor went out in the sixties.

~Fox
Of course not.

Female airline captains are nothing to joke about, the threat is very real.

Obviously I was kidding. You know, as I usually am in every post. Pretty sure telling a joke that was deemed offensive generations ago, coming from a 21 year old guy from San Francisco, is likely a play on the people who thought/think that way to be laughed at by everyone else, and not a play on the victim of the stereotype. But you be the judge, if you really think I hate women because of that comment, I won't convince you otherwise.

Remind me not to share clips of my stand-up tour on this board. Sheesh, all the crap I've said here over the years and this sets everyone off? Really?

That's all I'll say about that, you guys(or girls, sorry, don't shoot me)carry on.

But you be the judge, if you really think I hate women because of that comment, I won't convince you otherwise.

I'm only judging the comment, not the commenter. The way it read to me may not have been the way it was intended, but I don't honestly know what your views are on the issue, and like I said, I've seen a surprising amount of fairly non-funny comments here from various sources.

To be honest, I keep trying to re-read your statement with the thought that it's meta-humor, and it still doesn't parse for me however hard I try ... it reminds me of growing up in the south, when somebody from the northeast would be there on vacation and they'd make some horribly racist joke that left everyone shocked. To them, it was just humor, but to us it felt like they were making a play on something that they felt was a shared belief, and that was the worst part.

I don't think it's an issue of "hating women" by any stretch of the imagination ... but my opinion is that to single out that part for comment does advance the perception that we, as a group, feel that women pilots are inherently sub-standard, and that's what I really took issue with. Like I said, it wasn't my intent to be a prick. It's possible that I completely missed the intent of the joke, but I can't see it.

Remind me not to share clips of my stand-up tour on this board. Sheesh, all the crap I've said here over the years and this sets everyone off? Really?

I'm relatively new here, overall, and I don't participate nearly so much in the daily banter, so if I seemed to have misjudged your character please don't take it personally. Without the context that I clearly lack, it comes off as tasteless, sexist 'humor'.

As far as comedic effect, though, to me there's a difference between open humor and closed humor, and generally speaking your comment appeared to me to be the exposed tip of a very large iceberg of perception.

That's all I'll say about that, you guys(or girls, sorry, don't shoot me)carry on.

I'm sorry myself for the thread derail. I wasn't trying to jump in and be judgmental, but I do feel better having said something, regardless.

~Fox

"Off color" remarks and the occasional rediculous post makes this place enjoyable to come back to. IMO if we all posted as if the head of HR was watching this place would get pretty stuffy. Now if Chasen or anyone else created a post asking the male collective what we could do about this female pilot problem I could see it being an issue.
If you don't find a joke funny or think it's not 100% appropriate, oh wells it missed. If you can't make fun of yourself you really need to losen up. You want 100% appropriate and non-sarcasm posts then restrict the membership to pilots only, no lav, no likes, and no smileys. You can't have a loose atmosphere and expect people not to joke and to sometimes have that joke offend someone, most jokes do.

To get back on topic...

Here is the damage to the American 767
american_b763_n366aa_new_york_120414_1.jpg

Ryanair has a disproportionately low number of female pilots, and it has been suspected that Ryanair has only hired a handful in order to prevent descrimination lawsuits.

For the record, I don't see a problem with women pilots :)

I thought it was funny.

I don't know anyone that would laugh at that joke yet refuse a woman a promotion because she is a woman.

The damage looks worse than the articles made it sound. Wow. If I were the AA captain and I knew the 737 crew had been alerted about the collision but didn't report it before I flew 250 people across the Atlantic, I'd be pretty livid.

Meh, "gender roles" still very much exist. Getting bent out of shape over sexist jokes is pretty moot.

Back