Nothing wrong with a little love tap' between airliners

I didn't think it was funny at all. If said to me in person, it would garner the reaction of "uh, okay".

If you don't give dumb jokes attention, the sayer of dumb jokes doesn't get a reaction and they eventually [usually] figure out those "jokes" aren't funny.

I'm not going to get all offended and tell anyone off about a joke as dumb as that, but by giving it no reaction I take away the attention desired by the teller. I'm only commenting on it now because of the mild uproar it seems to be causing.

Yeah, it might have been funny in about 1970. But this is 2012, and uh, many of the female persuasion have jobs these days. It's really pretty common, actually.

I wonder if there was anything found on postflight at JFK.

"I swear Cap, we had a tailcone in Spain."

Or

"Well, THAT explains all the fluttering we felt coming across the pond..."

You have to understand, I'm not trying to be a prick ... I'm a guy, I'm not on a crusade to police the internet for 'inappropriate' humor, but IMO that sort of talk (And I've seen a surprising amount of it around here) really seems blatantly off-color. To me, that's the sort of truly harmful sexism .. the wink and nod and chuckle sort .. and I had just hoped we were all above that by this point. I've flown with some amazing female pilots and instructors, and I felt as shocked when I read that as I would have had it been a racist joke.

Eh, I dunno. It just seems wrong to treat this as "just a funny" ... women have been present since the beginning of aviation, and little slights like this really seem to fly in the face of the great things they've done, and continue to do, and I'm sorry but I had to say it. We're all equals to the sky, whatever race, gender or religion.

If you feel I'm overreacting, that's fine. You can reply or ignore it and I won't think the worse of you for it... I just needed to say it, and now I'm done. ^.^

~Fox
I agree and have largely just given up around here...just look past the inane that's my motto nowadays.

I find it interesting that at least 3 mods here seem to agree with Acrofox (Amber, Dale, & I), yet not a deleted/edited/moderated post in sight. Just seems to indicate that maybe we do actually moderate based on the site TOC, not on our personal agendas. YMMV.

[/PSA]

I agree and have largely just given up around here...just look past the inane that's my motto nowadays.

BTW, I wish you wouldn't take the "largely just given up" route, but rather continue to help guide and give input. The key is not to expect to change anyone's behavior, but to be content with doing what's right. Just lead the horse(s) to water...a few might actually take a sip!

I'm not trying to excuse the joke as it is from a dated perspective and rather shopworn, however the use of words like shocked and truly harmful fall flat on me. There are plenty of examples in the media of any stereotype one can imagine in ways that as far as I'm aware do not invoke such powerful adjectives. 30 Rock, Big Bang Theory, The Honeymooners/The Flintstones, 3rd Rock From the Sun, Friends etc.

Perhaps if you've fully removed yourself from mass media since at least the 50's and well lets face it, mass media prior to that was even more rife with stereotypes more apt for the descriptors thrown around, so let me correct that to say if you've had extremely limited exposure to American mass media in your lifetime I can buy adjectives of that caliber. To be honest I should really include most classic literature as well. Othello, Dead Souls and Moby Dick for example. They're exponentially more shocking that that joke.

It is after all human nature to lump/categorize and judge accordingly to experience (and yes that is not limited to race, sex and creed no that isn't germane to the joke in my opinion). I'm not excusing it, but everyone has done it at one point in time.

I suppose the English language is after all losing its ability to modulate emotion.

It's a weird balance.

On one hand I want people to treat one another with respect, but on the other hand, you have to let the occasional user make an ass of himself to serve as an example.

For every 1000 users who behave is a user who completely wrecked their career by how the represent themselves online and by "negative networking".

Personally, I'm always looking for great personalities and those that "pay it forward" so when opportunities arise, I can help them. But there are some that just haven't figured out that it isn't FlightInfo, trash talk on the forum on one hand, and then the next day ask for help.

We're somewhat "Disney" but sometimes you have to let the natives run a little wild on occasion to set an example.

Sent from my TRS-80

Derg said:
It's a weird balance.

On one hand I want people to treat one another with respect, but on the other hand, you have to let the occasional user make an ass of himself to serve as an example.

For every 1000 users who behave is a user who completely wrecked their career by how the represent themselves online and by "negative networking".

Personally, I'm always looking for great personalities and those that "pay it forward" so when opportunities arise, I can help them. But there are some that just haven't figured out that it isn't FlightInfo, trash talk on the forum on one hand, and then the next day ask for help.

We're somewhat "Disney" but sometimes you have to let the natives run a little wild on occasion to set an example.

Sent from my TRS-80

Didn't read this. I don't listen to black people.

Wait, how can I ban a guy who live Rickrolled me in Vegas?! NVM!

Sent from my TRS-80

Back