NOTAM'd closed runway, but airport owner on site...

I think the bottom line with obstacles is this: have they been accounted for in engineering performance numbers or TERPS? I don't think on-runway obstacles *(with exception of arresting cables / LAHSO) have. So, even if it's easy to fly over it, anything that happens to you will probably somehow include 91.13 for the obstacle.

What are we flying here???? Your decision would be a little different in a C207 vs a Citation. Is there runway available to do it safely? Use a parallel taxiway if its available? What about leaving???

There are lots of times I'd fly the Chieftain into a NAVY base or OLF and they would have the arresting gear up. Those damn solid rubber donuts are almost as big as the wheels! But with a 10,000ft runway, it wasn't too hard to put the plane in between them.

And guess what - those are accounted for. At dual-use airports we can pull landing numbers for "between the cables".

Pax are on the ground waiting for you. Do you land to get them?

Getting in is one thing... You're 91, use your judgement and company's SOPs... How about getting back out with the PAX???? That's the real problem. What's the point of arriving, if you can't leave? I'm sure your PAX aren't all just waiting there for you to arrive so you can all sit at the FBO and play patty cake.

Last edited:
All part 91. Pax on the ground just added to the potential for bad ADM if the operation was in fact illegal which it wasn't. The Xs just added to the shadiness if anything. This is a PC 12, not a 747, so again, a 10 foot obstacle at the end of a 4000' runway is not an issue, even for someone with no skill, as we routinely land at strips half that size with 3 times the obstacle.

Personally, I'd probably try to raise someone on the radio and have them remove the 'Xs' rather than land. I would take the Xs to mean the runway isn't safe, and I'd want them gone before I used the runway. If I couldn't get a hold of anyone on the radio, I'd land elsewhere and coordinate their removal or ground transportation for the passengers to my location.

Of course it's easy to say this while having time to think about it with a computer on my lap versus rolling out on final and seeing something unexpected. I know I have a tendency to experience what I call "plan inertia." I initially want to stick with my original plan when confronted with a wrinkle. Usually I give it a second thought or two and re-access the situation.

Personally, I'd probably try to raise someone on the radio and have them remove the 'Xs' rather than land. I would take the Xs to mean the runway isn't safe, and I'd want them gone before I used the runway. If I couldn't get a hold of anyone on the radio, I'd land elsewhere and coordinate their removal or ground transportation for the passengers to my location.

Of course it's easy to say this while having time to think about it with a computer on my lap versus rolling out on final and seeing something unexpected. I know I have a tendency to experience what I call "plan inertia." I initially want to stick with my original plan when confronted with a wrinkle. Usually I give it a second thought or two and re-access the situation.
PAEW?

We were talking to them the whole time and they removed their equipment / workers, but left the X's as they were going right back to work after we landed. I think it was just out of laziness. They also waited to see which taxiway we took before removing the barriers blocking the runway.

Think back to your private pilot training when you had to clear the "obstacle" at the beginning of the runway and still land on the second stripe, and you thought that training was useless.

Think back to your private pilot training when you had to clear the "obstacle" at the beginning of the runway and still land on the second stripe, and you thought that training was useless.

I never thought it was useless, and I made sure my students didn't either! I used to take them to fields with actual obstacles.

I've done it myself a few times with airport management only opening it up to schedule service or with PPR arrangement and then close to all others.

A few years ago me and a friend flew a Baron into an uncontrolled field in IMC, we complete the approach down to minimums and are both pleased with how awesome our flying skills are, however not long after the rollout we get a flat tire and have to get call and get towed off, so we are scrambling trying our best to hurry, i run inside the FBO to hear the phone ringing and its the FAA asking if all was ok, I tell them all is ok, but that we have a flat tire on runway and I will call as soon as it is clear, so they told me to just call back as soon as its clear. Not long after the plane is clear, and I immediately call and they said thank you, and all was fine, so we thought. The next morning we come into work ( we are both flight instructors) to get our ass chewed out, our boss and airport owner came in to find out that the airport had been Notamed closed all night, and planes had been diverted, the FAA just made a mistake, so I say if Owner is ok with it take his word.

I work for an airline that was repositioning an aircraft a few months back and the exact same situation occured. The silly dispatcher didn't check her notams, and an ass chewing ensued.

I work for an airline that was repositioning an aircraft a few months back and the exact same situation occured. The silly dispatcher didn't check her notams, and an ass chewing ensued.
So you stop checking notams when you have an adx doing all the work?

Back