NOTAM'd closed runway, but airport owner on site...

sounddoc

Hypothetically, of course, your operations department sends you to a field with a NOTAM'd closed runway, but they've contacted the airport owner who's approved you landing there at your scheduled time of arrival. VFR conditions prevail, and it's a non-towered airport. When you get there, the the airport ops temporarily clears vehicles / workers from the runway for you (as prior permission through your flight ops had been worked out) and they "clear" you to land over CTAF. Turning final you notice the lighted mobile X's are still set up on either end, but the runway is in good condition otherwise. Pax are on the ground waiting for you. Do you land to get them?

what I'm not really sure of is where the legal control lies - I'm not an airport owner, and I don't work for the FAA, so if a runway is NOTAM'd closed, who has the final say? the FAA or the owner? Turf, and taxiway (the latter was offered, actually) wouldn't have worked for our plane that day.

The airport owner has control over the airport, and he puts out the NOTAM, so I'd say he has the final say. The FAA is just the agency that distributes that information to the pilots.

I'd say this is similar to a situation seen a lot when snow removal is in progress. A runway might be closed except 15 minutes prior permission required. In that case, a runway is closed, until you get permission to use it from the airport authority (owner in this case).

However, I would not land on the runway with an obstacle (the lighted X) on it.

Last edited:
The airport owner has control over the airport, and he puts out the NOTAM, so I'd say he has the final say. The FAA is just the agency that distributes that information to the pilots.

I'd say this is similar to a situation seen a lot when snow removal is in progress. A runway might be closed except 15 minutes prior permission required. In that case, a runway is closed, until you get permission to use it from the airport authority (owner in this case).

However, I would not land on the runway with an obstacle (the lighted X) on it.
This.

Our company Ops Manual prohibits flying into non-tower controlled airports (unless it's an emergency). :)

a 10 foot obstacle at the end of a 4000' runway is hardly a problem, i just didn't know if THAT had the final say! :)

thanks for the insight, FAA vs. owners - that makes a lot of sense!

Until you hit it.
I wouldn't land on a runway with obstacles on it but I'm a pansy.
Yes, yes, you are. I think I still have the recording somewhere of the MDW guy having fun with you...lol. Are you going to NJC?

And, for the record, I agree with you...obstacles...I won't land.

I'd just land at the helipad, or the ramp, or a taxiway...

Flying helicopters has spoiled me!

Yes, yes, you are. I think I still have the recording somewhere of the MDW guy having fun with you...lol. Are you going to NJC?

And, for the record, I agree with you...obstacles...I won't land.
Haha I'd like to hear that!
I have a ticket and we're scheduled in Van Nuys that weekend but we'll see if it works out.

aw c'mon now! any bush pilots want to chime in? :D
It has nothing to do with skills or the balls to do it. Suppose you blow a tire or something random happens. Mr. "We're not happy until your not happy" will be awful curious on why you decided to land on a runway with an obstacle on it. This isn't nam, it's corporate aviation.

What are we flying here???? Your decision would be a little different in a C207 vs a Citation. Is there runway available to do it safely? Use a parallel taxiway if its available? What about leaving???

There are lots of times I'd fly the Chieftain into a NAVY base or OLF and they would have the arresting gear up. Those damn solid rubber donuts are almost as big as the wheels! But with a 10,000ft runway, it wasn't too hard to put the plane in between them.

Last edited:
Back