Northwest Overshoot / Cert Action....

Re: DeltaWest Overshoots Destination....

whatever happened, it doesn't paint the profession in a good light.

Ok, communications issues, throw the good 'ol 7600 in the box and follow your filed flight plan right as close to the projected eta's right?

That's assuming that you know you've had a comms failure...if you're flying out in MT or some places of NV, there's not alot of radio traffic...so you might not even realize.

Happened to me one night with a check airman, flying from Seattle to Billings, MT. We were having a good discussion on SEC football, all of a sudden the SELCAL rings and dispatch wants us to talk to Salt Lake on whatever freq. Turns out, Salt Lake forgot to hand us off...but still, it can happen to anyone...

As a wise old DAL Captain told me once upon a time:

"There are those who have, and there are those who will."

Cockpit is a sexist vulgar statement for the flight deck and the U.S.A.F made me remove that from my vocabulary a long time ago.

Don't know about the CVR. Our flight manual still says 30 minutes, but all the jets have been modified for at least a couple of years with the solid-state CVR that records 2 freakin' hours.

My money is on that they were sleeping.

I love the flight tracker. I remember Mesa doing this in Hawaii a couple years ago.

You Commercial guys/gals can fill me in here but is it really that easy to fall asleep while cruising at FL36?

What ever conversation they were having they are not going to be having it again.

This maybe a stupid assumption but fuel levels would become a concern with this correct?

You Commercial guys/gals can fill me in here but is it really that easy to fall asleep while cruising at FL36?
I can't speak for everyone, but I can sleep just about anywhere given a decent temperature range.

-mini

When I fly pipeline patrol, and I'm cruising around 100AGL, I can find myself trying to nod off.....Yes, it's that easy. Especially in a 2 person crew. One guy thinks the other guy's got it, he takes a quick nap, then the other guy nods off too. It can happen.

I am curious what the FMC (Flight Management Computer) was flying? I am not that familiar with the airbus, but assume that there were NO fixes beyond MSP loaded into the box??? After a route disconnect, does the airbus fly last heading?

Doesn't sound good for the crew. :(

I am curious what the FMC (Flight Management Computer) was flying? I am not that familiar with the airbus, but assume that there were NO fixes beyond MSP loaded into the box??? After a route disconnect, does the airbus fly last heading?
Good question. Ours wouldn't have the smarts to do something like that...it just punts when it gets confused.

-mini

does anyone really believe they were jabbering and missed by that much....I give em credit they got their stories straight before they landed...lets hope the CVR doesnt say zzzzzzzzzzzz.......:dunno:

It is hard to believe they wouldn't have asked for a radio check or something? I have been out West and it can get quite quiet at certain times of day/night but you think nearing MSP and not hearing much they would have questioned it.

Wouldn't the Airbus enter a hold over the destination when the FMS reaches the last fix?

Don't the CVR's only record the past 30 minutes of flight time? If that's the case, they may be lucky that it didn't record what really happened.

How far back does the CVR really go? I have heard the NTSB can pull recorded over audio up to a couple hours back. Anyone, have more technical info on CVR's?

You guys really are cowboys.

"You're dangerous"

Totally different system, but our Pro Line 21 goes into a ROLL hold (basically wings level) mode when it passes the last fix in the flight plan. Typically, the last fix in the flight plan is the last fix on an airway or STAR, not the airport itself.

Don't the CVR's only record the past 30 minutes of flight time? If that's the case, they may be lucky that it didn't record what really happened.

Depends on the CVR. Some go much longer than 30 min.

How long does it take to go 150 miles? 16 to 20 minutes maybe? (Depending on winds.) I'm oversimplifying all the variables but, if they were cruising at altitude they feasibly could have been in a heated discussion. One heck of a distraction to miss all the radio calls etc. . . must have been quite an argument.

Back