NoPolitics: Airplanes you like that no one else does

An Ag Tractor on floats
Screenshot_20210105-225348_Samsung Internet.jpg

What's a make/model of airplane that you like/love that no one else seems to? And why?

RF-4C: Fighter guys looked down at it. Little supervision, ie no flight lead criticizing your every move. Legalized buzzing. Equivalent to Dad giving you the keys to the Ferrari telling you to bring it back in one piece.

A-37: Most fun jet to fly acro but one you would never tell your friends you flew. Would fly up its own butt with the two J-85's.

BE-99: Liked it because you all hate it. What's to hate flying any turbo prop with PT-6's?

SD-330: Carried everyone the BE-99 couldn't. Impossible to make a bad landing with its trailing arm shocks.

Nine pages in and nobody's brought up the Citation II yet? It can't carry much, go very far, or outperform almost any other twin jet by any metric. If you're thinking of getting one, you're probably better off in a King Air.

But it's pretty easy to fly and it was the first jet I logged time in. Old school, simple systems.

I also love the Sky Arrow 600. Weird little LSA with tandem seating and pusher prop. Rotax engine. I don't know why more were never sold. Possibly the funnest single engine piston I ever flew.

no faith in your Iraqi brethren?

None whatsoever.

After Desert Storm/Shield, the running joke was “What’s the difference between American and Iraqi pilots?”
“American pilots break ground and fly into thw wind.”

Some things don’t change. “We must give this Iraqi pilot a wide berth.”

100s or 200s? Was the 200 a much better performer than the 100?
I’ve never flown the -100, but according to the PDT folks I’ve talked to they’re dogs. The -200 had great performance imo, the -300 was better looking but performance wasn’t as good since it had a lot more weight to haul around with the same engines. The -400 handled like a dump truck but the extra 100KTAS was hard to complain about.

I’ve never flown the -100, but according to the PDT folks I’ve talked to they’re dogs. The -200 had great performance imo, the -300 was better looking but performance wasn’t as good since it had a lot more weight to haul around with the same engines. The -400 handled like a dump truck but the extra 100KTAS was hard to complain about.

i used to ride on America West’s -100s when mainline had them back in the day.

The original -200 sits here at TUS.

C33D3B66-E0A3-4C87-957C-F7B3F47979E0.jpeg

i used to ride on America West’s -100s when mainline had them back in the day.

The original -200 sits here at TUS.

View attachment 57226
I’m trying to remember where C5 got their -8’s. I want to say the -200’s were former Qantas planes and the -300’s came out of Europe but I wouldn’t swear to it in court.

I’m trying to remember where C5 got their -8’s. I want to say the -200’s were former Qantas planes and the -300’s came out of Europe but I wouldn’t swear to it in court.

its a neat airplane. Great for what it does. Everytime I go to ELP/BIF, I see it’s older 4-engine cousins, the Dash 7, that are based there.

100s or 200s? Was the 200 a much better performer than the 100?
It was the 103 variant so it had a bit more power but I don't have others to compare it to. We rarely got above 16,000' and stayed the majority of the time around 8,000'

its a neat airplane. Great for what it does. Everytime I go to ELP/BIF, I see it’s older 4-engine cousins, the Dash 7, that are based there.
I've always thought that was such a cool plane. One of the ISR outfits, Avenge or Dynamic I can't remember, in HGR had one. Always enjoyed watching that thing coming and going.

Back