No Ticket, No Problem in Pittsburgh!

Location, Location, Location ...
That is only part of it...USA/AWE was well established at PIT, so much so that the airport authority decided that they would never move, so they decided to implement a seat tax on all flights out of PIT, including connections. Well AWE told them to pound sand and moved the entire hub to CLT, hence the reason CLT has been booming. PIT has something like 60 open gates at any time, and the airport runs at less than 35% capacity. If PIT really wanted to attract more customers to the airport, they'd court airlines to have a bigger presence there, not chase them away with special taxes.

That's probably because they were so ridiculously high to begin with. The Beaver County Airport Authority decided to play chicken with USAir (who was in BK at the time) and lost badly. At the time they didn't care because Southwest said they'd put in 100 flights a day. It hardly turned out that way in the end though.

Allegheny County Airport Authority - Beaver is the neighboring county north and west, but has nothing to do with PIT.

Fee's are coming down, which should help continue stimulating growth. The Air Service Development team has done a phenomenal job the past few years and I think this trend will continue. It's incumbent on the populace to take advantage of the new offerings from the various airlines.

The airport authority, with whom I am very familiar with, isn't actually interested in increasing air traffic though. PIT should be CLT, people with brilliant ideas like this are why it is not. Last time I flew was from PIT to JFK. Took me 40 minutes to get through security at PIT, on the return trip it took me <10 minutes at JFK :bang:

I find it hard to believe you're familiar with the Airport Authority or Air Service Development team if you say they are not interested in increasing service - that's flat out untrue. I know the team there very well and increasing service is their top priority - but they are managing expectations appropriately by telling the people that it will never be the connecting hub it once was. That day is simply gone - now they have to grow in a new way, relying solely on O&D traffic, and they're off to a good start.

Having spent the last 5+ years living in NYC I have many, many more nightmare stories flying in and out of JFK/LGA/EWR vs. PIT. You're experience differs, but I've really never found anything about flying in/out of NYC to be pleasant - long security lines, small and cramped terminals, long taxi lines, etc.

I like that the stock photo of PIT they used in the article was a picture of the airport during peak times.

Allegheny County Airport Authority - Beaver is the neighboring county north and west, but has nothing to do with PIT.

Fee's are coming down, which should help continue stimulating growth. The Air Service Development team has done a phenomenal job the past few years and I think this trend will continue. It's incumbent on the populace to take advantage of the new offerings from the various airlines.

I find it hard to believe you're familiar with the Airport Authority or Air Service Development team if you say they are not interested in increasing service - that's flat out untrue. I know the team there very well and increasing service is their top priority - but they are managing expectations appropriately by telling the people that it will never be the connecting hub it once was. That day is simply gone - now they have to grow in a new way, relying solely on O&D traffic, and they're off to a good start.

Having spent the last 5+ years living in NYC I have many, many more nightmare stories flying in and out of JFK/LGA/EWR vs. PIT. You're experience differs, but I've really never found anything about flying in/out of NYC to be pleasant - long security lines, small and cramped terminals, long taxi lines, etc.

Well every time someone starts making money at one of the county airports, the airport authority dreams up a new tax so they can wet their beaks. Instead of attracting more air traffic they come up with gimmicks like this, or closing half the airport to run a 5k on it, etc etc.

The line in New York was much longer, it just moved at a reasonable pace. I'm not saying there aren't nightmares, but in my traveling experience (as a civilian), it is TSA at the little airports that take their job too seriously and hold up lines.

The airport authority, with whom I am very familiar with, isn't actually interested in increasing air traffic though. PIT should be CLT, people with brilliant ideas like this are why it is not. Last time I flew was from PIT to JFK. Took me 40 minutes to get through security at PIT, on the return trip it took me <10 minutes at JFK :bang:

PIT WAS CLT at one point. 450 departures a day and most of them Usair(ways). It is a shadow of its former self, but it's better than it was six or seven years ago. As a hub, it made no sense. But it was amazing when it was one..

Well every time someone starts making money at one of the county airports, the airport authority dreams up a new tax so they can wet their beaks. Instead of attracting more air traffic they come up with gimmicks like this, or closing half the airport to run a 5k on it, etc etc.

The line in New York was much longer, it just moved at a reasonable pace. I'm not saying there aren't nightmares, but in my traveling experience (as a civilian), it is TSA at the little airports that take their job too seriously and hold up lines.

I don't mean to be combative/argumentative, but I don't think the "airport creating new taxes to wet their beaks" part is true, or at least for creating new taxes for the airlines. I could be wrong on this though, since it's been a few years since I was in Network Planning - do you have a link/source that shows new taxes have been levied on the airlines?

The cost per emplanement once led the nation, after the Airport Authority built the new terminal and had to service the debt on it, but those days are in the rear view and that cost is declining rapidly. The airport knows that increasing costs will only hurt demand, and I think they've done a good job keeping costs low and even offering compelling incentive programs for airlines like Delta, WOW, Icelandair, Condor, etc to attractive new service.

I don't mean to be combative/argumentative, but I don't think the "airport creating new taxes to wet their beaks" part is true, or at least for creating new taxes for the airlines. I could be wrong on this though, since it's been a few years since I was in Network Planning - do you have a link/source that shows new taxes have been levied on the airlines?

The cost per emplanement once led the nation, after the Airport Authority built the new terminal and had to service the debt on it, but those days are in the rear view and that cost is declining rapidly. The airport knows that increasing costs will only hurt demand, and I think they've done a good job keeping costs low and even offering compelling incentive programs for airlines like Delta, WOW, Icelandair, Condor, etc to attractive new service.

Look, you worked for them, I am not going to argue. I work at the county airport (not for the authority) and every time a business moves in or wants to move in the ACAA dreams up an additional fee to charge and they go away or they never start. Traveling out of PIT is down right depressing. Yeah, we have CFG and WOW now, but those are only a few times per week.

TSA lines are getting too short, something must be done! I know, we'll turn the airport in to a mall! I'm pretty sure I saw this movie, it was called Robocop, and it kicked ass.

YOU HAVE 20 SECONDS TO COMPLY!

ed_209.jpg

Back