No Ticket, No Problem in Pittsburgh!

skypilot6

Well sort of. PIT is starting a new program to let non ticketed passengers through TSA and into the Terminal.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/you-no-longer-need-plane-ticket-wait-gate-airport-n797796

One much-missed aspect of the “good-old days” of air travel was the ability to walk a friend or family member right out to the gate and to be right there with a hug, a kiss or a balloon when someone you loved exited the plane after a long flight.

That all ended after 9/11, when only ticketed passengers were permitted past the security checkpoints.

Now Pittsburgh International Airport has figured out how to bring that airport amenity back.

Non-ticketed members of the public will be able to access gates, shops, restaurants and artwork located beyond the security checkpoint year-round at Pittsburgh International Airport. Photo courtesy Pittsburgh International Airport
With the approval of the Transportation Security Administration, starting on September 5 non-ticketed members of the public will be able to access gates, shops, restaurants and artwork located beyond the security checkpoint year-round.

Non-flyers won’t be able to just sashay into the secure side of the airport, however. Before they are issued a “myPITpass,” an airport guest will have to check in at a special desk, show a valid photo ID (Driver’s License or Passport), have their name vetted against existing No Fly lists and then line up and go through screening at the security checkpoint just as if they were heading out to a flight.

For now, passes will only be issued Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and will only be valid the day they are issued.

PIT airport officials say they picked the 9 to 5 program hours to avoid the busiest times at the airport and at the checkpoints. “But if security lines were to become long, people seeking a ‘myPITpass’ will have to wait until the line dies down,” said airport spokesman Bob Kerlik.

For its part, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is pleased to support the myPITpass program, but is quick to note that the agency did not hire any additional staff to accommodate the program.

And while the agency doesn’t expect the myPITpass program will have a negative impact on checkpoint wait times, “There are no plans to expand the program at this time,” said TSA national spokesman Mike England via email.

Beyond seeing someone off or welcoming them home, there are plenty of reasons someone not flying away might want go through the trouble to get a pass to spend time on the secure, or air, side of PIT airport.

In addition to shops and restaurants not available anywhere else in the city, such as Hugo Boss, Armani, Tumi, Bar Symon and others, the airport also has a top notch art collection that includes a giant Alexander Calder mobile, works by Andy Warhol, and a new center core terrazzo floor that depicts iconic Pittsburgh neighborhoods.

News of the myPITpass program brings up pleasant memories for Dallas-based Southwest Airlines pilot Michael Weisser, who met his wife, Terri, in Pittsburgh back in 1998 when she worked for a contractor on the landside of the airport.

Back then Weisser flew for Chautauqua Airlines and, until 9/11, for US Airways, and whenever he passed through PIT around lunchtime the couple would meet on the airside to have lunch together.

The couple was married a month after 9/11 and by then airside was off limits unless you had a ticket. “Six months later I was laid off by US Airways,” said Weisser, “But we will always remember the early days of our relationship at PIT airport fondly.”

You get through the ancillary justice trilogy yet?

Yeah man. Very good stuff. I find it not a little bit hilarious that Leche came along hitting it out of the park at just the same time the various puppies were whining about how women and the help were not only being allowed in to the club, but were using the front door.

Yeah man. Very good stuff. I find it not a little bit hilarious that Leche came along hitting it out of the park at just the same time the various puppies were whining about how women and the help were not only being allowed in to the club, but were using the front door.
If you're referring to the nebula award kerfuffle I'm right with you. Literature and sci fi included needs more more more of Ann and her ilk.

Sorry to derail the tsa thread, i just hate the smurf brigade.

They're probably trying to save the airport. PIT used to be busy and now it's not. Need that cash flow and it isn't coming from flyers.

TSA lines are getting too short, something must be done! I know, we'll turn the airport in to a mall! I'm pretty sure I saw this movie, it was called Robocop, and it kicked ass.
As it was sort of already said, PIT has been a "mall" since DAY ONE, when it opened. In fact it was the first airport in the US to feature an "airmall" and even to this day it has the largest retail space of any US airport. Local people would routinely go to the airport to shop there before the the Robinson mall was opened in 2001.

They're probably trying to save the airport. PIT used to be busy and now it's not. Need that cash flow and it isn't coming from flyers.
That's funny...

Sure we don't have the same passenger numbers we had back during the peak, which was 21 million, mostly connecting traffic. But we are set to break well into the 9+ million range this year for the first time since 2010 or 2011 and its practically all OD traffic. The Airport has always been cash positive, it's not struggling for money. Otherwise, they would not have been reducing the fees to the airlines and passengers steadily over the last few years. The biggest hurdle in the past was our fees. They still are the highest of any airport I believe, but the new airport is set to be completely paid off within the next few years. When at happened, I would not be surprised if Southwest builds up a larger presence here as they have talked about it in the past.

We now have year round service to Iceland, seasonal service to Paris that has been going on unsubsidized for nearly 10 years now, new seasonal service to Frankfurt that has already been expanded for next year for a longer season and with more frequencies, possible service to Ireland in the near future, direct flights to China starting in late 2018 and possible service to panama coming soon. This all in addition to the normal carribean/Mexican/air Canada service. Hardly an airport that needs "saving".

And btw, this new "trial" of letting people past security to shop is nothing new. PIT has been doing it since 2007, except for the people had to be a guest at the hotel or request the pass from the hotel. They also have opened the airport up for one day around the holidays to allow people to come in and shop.

The Airport has always been cash positive, it's not struggling for money. Otherwise, they would not have been reducing the fees to the airlines and passengers steadily over the last few years.

That's probably because they were so ridiculously high to begin with. The Beaver County Airport Authority decided to play chicken with USAir (who was in BK at the time) and lost badly. At the time they didn't care because Southwest said they'd put in 100 flights a day. It hardly turned out that way in the end though.

The airport authority, with whom I am very familiar with, isn't actually interested in increasing air traffic though. PIT should be CLT, people with brilliant ideas like this are why it is not. Last time I flew was from PIT to JFK. Took me 40 minutes to get through security at PIT, on the return trip it took me <10 minutes at JFK :bang:

The airport authority, with whom I am very familiar with, isn't actually interested in increasing air traffic though. PIT should be CLT, people with brilliant ideas like this are why it is not. Last time I flew was from PIT to JFK. Took me 40 minutes to get through security at PIT, on the return trip it took me <10 minutes at JFK :bang:

Last time i flew out of KPIT it was on an USAir B727-100 !!!!!!

Back