No Ticket, No Problem in Pittsburgh!

Some really BIG numbers, wonder how much sugar coating to juice up the proposal.
Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 9.04.12 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 9.03.41 PM.png

Ahh PIT, my first airline base. Used to operate the early morning PIT-PHL (and late night PHL-PIT) flights, aka the "US Airways Crew Shuttle". Great airport for diversions, because so many empty gates.

Back in the day, I had a USAir mainline guy on my JS coming from CHO to PIT. He'd spent something like 24 years flying PIT-ERI on the evening continuous duty overnight. Something like 30 minutes hard fly total, but paid 10 hours due to the USAir PWA.

What airline were you on that CHO-PIT nonstop?

lost in the Harvey / Irma tragic stories.
Statement by APFA National President Representing Flight Attendants at American Airlines on
TSA’s “Ill-Conceived” Decision to Allow Shoppers Through Airline Security at Pittsburgh’s Airport.
https://www.apfa.org/2017-press-rel...ough-airline-security-at-pittsburgh-s-airport

'Allowing the non-flying public to go through security at the Pittsburgh International Airport for the sole purpose of shopping is a terrible precedent and an ill-conceived decision.

Flight attendants are the last line of defense on an aircraft and as first responders, we know this move by TSA is a bad idea that needs to be reversed. Aviation security relies on a layered approach where if terrorists breech a layer, second and third layers come into play to protect us. Letting our guard down in Pittsburgh or any other airport for the benefit of retailers is not the right approach to airline safety and security.

Beyond security concerns, having shoppers clog already frustratingly long TSA security lines will lead to flight delays and more passengers missing flights, especially during the busy holiday season.

Personally, I’m stunned by the timing of this decision. Days prior to the anniversary of 9-11 is when we should be reminding the public of the need to remain vigilant—not sending the message that the airport is no different than their local mall.'

Statement by APFA National President Representing Flight Attendants at American Airlines on
TSA’s “Ill-Conceived” Decision to Allow Shoppers Through Airline Security at Pittsburgh’s Airport.

https://www.apfa.org/2017-press-rel...ough-airline-security-at-pittsburgh-s-airport

'Allowing the non-flying public to go through security at the Pittsburgh International Airport for the sole purpose of shopping is a terrible precedent and an ill-conceived decision.

Flight attendants are the last line of defense on an aircraft and as first responders, we know this move by TSA is a bad idea that needs to be reversed. Aviation security relies on a layered approach where if terrorists breech a layer, second and third layers come into play to protect us. Letting our guard down in Pittsburgh or any other airport for the benefit of retailers is not the right approach to airline safety and security.

Beyond security concerns, having shoppers clog already frustratingly long TSA security lines will lead to flight delays and more passengers missing flights, especially during the busy holiday season.

Personally, I’m stunned by the timing of this decision. Days prior to the anniversary of 9-11 is when we should be reminding the public of the need to remain vigilant—not sending the message that the airport is no different than their local mall.'

That's the biggest load of crap I have read in a while. Last time I checked, the terrorists were ticketed passengers who brought allowed items onto the planes.

In other news...

PIT just announced the new master plan. New terminal coming in 2023. Construction starting in 2019.

Because anybody off the terrorist watch list can't buy a $23.41 ticket on Frontier and get thru TSA that way.

The original article states that shoppers will be screened in their own line during off peak times and, during peak times, flyers get priority. How it actually plays out remains to be seen and I'm sure there will be some "teething pains."

The original article states that shoppers will be screened in their own line during off peak times and, during peak times, flyers get priority. How it actually plays out remains to be seen and I'm sure there will be some "teething pains."
Since we will be getting a new security process with the new landside terminal, I would suggest to them putting the shopping line along side with KCM. They already have a dedicated person there for KCM that just sits waiting for employees to come through. Should be easier for that person to do it rather than mixing in shoppers with normal TSA screeners working passengers.

Not sure why my link was merged into this article. It was about the newly approved redevelopment plan for the terminal, not the allowing of non-passengers into the secure area.

Back