New to the forums. Been following for years.

Cherokee AZ

Hello everyone,

I have been reading threads on this forum for years looking for advice and guidance, now I think its time I chime in. I thought I would start by introducing myself, I am 24 years old, like everyone here I have always loved airplanes. When I was a kid I played flight simulator all the time, I used to fly rc planes and dream of flying (well I still do that). I work at Honeywell in the R&O shop in Phoenix. I started out as a machinist and was going to school at the same time, I got my bachelors in business and have been an ISC Supervisor for over a year now. When I got my supervisor job I was finally able to afford my PPL, something I always wanted. I recently got my PPL and bought into a fractional ownership Cherokee 180 which has been fun flying around. I got my PPL at 43 hours and now have just over 100 hours. One thing that has surprised me after getting my license is that I thought I always just wanted my PPL to fly around when I wanted but now I just want to keep advancing. I want to fly more complex aircraft and do instrument approaches, getting my PPL didn't put out the fire it threw fuel on it!:D

I have been looking at going to ATP to advance through my ratings quickly, but haven't taken that jump yet. I have worked hard to get my degree and job I have now and it is hard to put that all to the side and go full time into flight training, although when I'm at work looking at jet engines all I can think about is flying. I have considered doing my instrument stuff in my Cherokee, but my instructor is too busy to help with that. Any CFII's around Falcon Field in Mesa want to do some instrument training PM me. I also have a friend who is CFI/CFII at Transpac but he is also too busy to take me up. I would like to do as much as I can in my Cherokee with a good instructor, that way I could save a little $ and still do flights with my family. The best part about owning the plane is when I was building hours I could take the wife and kids to Cali, Laughlin, Payson, Sedona, or Tucson. My wife really likes those little towns with small airports and cafe's on the runway. It has been really fun and we have had good experiences doing that, but I'm ready to get serious about getting my ratings and building my time.

I'm considering 2 options:

1) Doing my instrument in my Cherokee and then building hours towards commercial and CFI/CFII, but I would miss out on a lot of Multi time. My friend at Transpac wishes he had more multi time. He has over 600TT now but only about 15 ME. He is a single engine instructor and is trying to get into the multi engine stuff but is having trouble because of his low time.

2) My second option and the one I am leaning more towards is to go to ATP and get through it. The issue with this is leaving my current job and my history with the company behind and starting all over.

I am meeting a Southwest Captain this weekend who goes to our Church and am going to pick his brain to see what he thinks and how he did it. Anyone who is currently in ATP or recently graduated I would like to hear some recent reviews/experiences with them.

Thanks again

I'd try to stick with your day job and fly on the side. Do as much as you can in the Cherokee and get your multi ratings and CFI from ATP. Then, take a look at the industry, and see if a full time CFI job and pursuing aviation full time is worth it at that point.

Thanks for the response!

I think that would be the easiest and most cost efficient way for me to do it (if I can find a CFII to do it with me), I just fear the low multi engine time I will have if I do everything in the Cherokee. Do you see a problem with that? If I did my instrument, commercial and CFI/CFII in the Cherokee and then added ME/MEI later would I be at a disadvantage with the low ME time?

My friend went through ASU's program for all his ratings and has very low ME time and wishes he did it differently. I fear I would be in the same boat.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the response!

I think that would be the easiest and most cost efficient way for me to do it (if I can find a CFII to do it with me), I just fear the low multi engine time I will have if I do everything in the Cherokee. Do you see a problem with that? If I did my instrument, commercial and CFI/CFII in the Cherokee and then added ME/MEI later would I be at a disadvantage with the low ME time?

My friend went through ASU's program for all his ratings and has very low ME time and wishes he did it differently. I fear I would be in the same boat.

Thanks again.

I'd suggest being pretty analytical about it. Figure out what you'll be paying for your multi time at ATP versus what you'd pay for your multi time in private rental. For me, for the custom program that I did, my entire CMEL course at ATP came out to something like $290/hr ... cheaper than I can rent locally for dual instruction. However, I think they fixed that loophole to make sure that they don't do multi time for much cheaper than $350/hr now ... which I CAN do better than. So really, it's a numbers game. If multi time is your primary concern, then just directly consider the cost of multi time. :>

Personally, given your situation, I'd recommend spending your time in that wonderful Cherokee 180, and then renting a multi for your ME, or splitting the time with someone.

I'm happy with my experience at ATP. I feel like I got a great value for my money... but only because it fit my particular situation perfectly, and their solution at the time was right in the ballpark, dollars-wise. In your case, I'd recommend a dispassionate, serious look at the numbers before coming to a conclusion.

Just my 2¢ ^.^

-Fox

If you fly your own plane to pick up the instrument instructor, you're logging time toward the next rating....I think the area you live in offers a world of CFII choices and airports. You can fly to any of the nearby schools and pick up multi, etc later on. Chances are your instrument training will be to Casa Grande and Gateway. Then there is the CFI on Phoenix Craiglist offering to fly free in your plane, see his ad under services / FREE BFR

Thanks guys, I posted an add in the Jobs Available post and have received a couple replies from local CFII's. I'm going to go with one of the local hero's and do it in my plane. Thanks for the advise.

Look into flying clubs for instructors. They usually have freelance CFI's that might be willing to go up in your aircraft.

I wouldn't worry too much about the multi time until you finish Instrument. Then you can decide if you want to do Commercial Single Engine with the multi add on (cheaper) or Commercial Multi with single engine add on (more multi experience).

I did the cheaper route and ended up getting the MEI to boost up my multi time. Most entry level jobs only require 50 hours, so it's not like you need hundreds of hours in a twin to land a job.

I would say get as much done as you can in your airplane. It will save you a ton of money. You can head over to ATP and get your multi-add ons (instrument and commercial) and then head to CFI school. I didn't have that option...if I did, I would have used it. If you want some insight to the Career program, take a look at my running experience thread. Good luck man.

MIke

Don't worry about the multi time. Worry about the 500 XC! Haha At least the multi time building was fun. Having to build an extra 150 cross country hours in a 150 blows! I fly a Cherokee 180 frequently. Great airplane.

Back