New "Pro-Pilot" Scam

wrong.jpg

I guess I'm more of a lurker than a contributor, but I appreciate lurking a thread where very different viewpoints from different backgrounds were expressed and no tire slashing comments were made. Hope we can have more of them. Thanks peeps. For the record, I'd rather have someone tell me I'm about to step in dog poo than to step in it and be horrified. We're all adults and can make decisions for ourselves.

I can't believe I spent all that time writing that only to have the thread die.

Oh my gosh. I possess an awesome power. I am the thread-killer. Manos - Hands of Fate ain't got nothin' on me. Alec Baldwin will play me in the movie.

Once again, an excellent article by Zap. Seriously, you should take all you posts and publish them. "Memoirs of an Airline Pilot" It would be right up there with Flying the Line

It would be a short book as I was only an airline pilot for 9 years. But I appreciate the compliment.

If it's a truly a scam, blow some sunshine at the new folks every time you see someone show them the clouds. Both perspectives are real, both can be accurate, and both should be considered if you're leaning toward a career in aviation.

Anyone who would throw in the towel after having read a few posts on an internet forum wouldn't have what it takes to make it anyway.

From one of the lurkers out there:

I appreciate the negative comments posted and I also realize that the good days in the profession usually are not posted.

I started my PPL last year just "for the fun of it". Soon after I started, I realized that I had to do this for a living. At the time I was in my third year of college as a physics major, then a computer science major. When I first started to seriously look at doing this as a career, I'll admit that I was one of the kool-aide drinkers. If it weren't for JC, I would be going into this career with my eyes glossed over. Thanks to you guys I have a balanced view of what to expect and it has not deterred me one bit, I've just decided to go about it a different way. Now I know what to expect and I thank all of you for better preparing me. I ended up passing my PP checkride in August, transferred to K-State at Salina, and I'm currently working on my Instrument rating.

Just thought I would add another perspective.

P.S.
Great post Zap, I always enjoy reading your posts and I assume there are other lurkers out there who do as well!

Hi All,

I haven't posted here in a LONG time (since before the switchover, I think)....

Anyway, I've been in this game, like Zap, for a long time. Personally, I think his sentiments are pretty much on the mark.

The job IS what you make of it. Sure, flying is fun, but at the end of the day, you DO have to put a roof over your head, feed yourself (even if it's just Ramen) and pay off those student loans.

Even where things are relatively good, there is unplesantness...just look at the current NWA/DAL fallout (of which I'm a part).

It happens, and it's as much a part of the game as the good stuff. I was fortunate, early in my career, for an old timer to point out the pitfalls, and how to avoid them. If you're gonna be a doctor, you're going to see some blood...it's just the way it works.

I understand Mike's frustration...but I also think there has been a fundamental shift in how kids operate today. I just had a 2 year stint in teaching college level chemistry, and I can tell you, kids these days don't do ANYTHING without consensus among their peers (often done, Borg like, without even speaking...just frantic texting). Some take the 'net as gospel, never having ever grown up without it, and there isn't that all important vetting process for the information they get.

If you can't google it or look it up on Wikipedia, it must not exist. I showed them how to make a fire extinguisher out of vinegar and baking soda...you would have thought I was Merlin the Magician by the way they looked at me. I asked one class how many had a chemistry set as a kid....NOT ONE held up their hand. Sad...today everything has to be virtual, I guess.

But I digress. My point is, kids these days want INSTANT gratification. Anything long, requiring study, application or has a delayed payout (which I think we can all agree aviation has loads of) is not going to spin their top.

Will there still be folks that do it? Sure, but those "on the cusp", who would have been those who got their private, never to be seen again, are weeded out earlier in the process.

Such are the pitfalls of "perfect knowledge"...

Richman

It's really great to hear from some of you lurkers! Seriously!

Kind of a reminder to us all that there are a LOT more people reading what we write than we realize sometimes...... ;)

Back