New "Pro-Pilot" Scam

It goes both ways. Pilot schools will tell you (as they told me) that now is the greatest time to be a pilot because all the Nam pilots are retiring and there is a huge shortage. They also told me that most pilots make six figures. If i had known the truth i still would of flown because i'm not in it for the money. Its what i've always wanted to do. The bottom line is, if you want to fly, fly. Don't let any body deter you. Now to say that any one who moans about their job is a liar, well i just don't buy that. I'm not saying that some people aren't doing this. For the most part, on this site i've got nothing but great sound advice. any way just my .02

-Matt

Yeah we all had a meeting when you weren't there.

By the way, the motion to finally tell the American people who really killed Kennedy wasn't seconded. Maybe next month.

You'll excuse me, I have to go meet with the G-8 and tell them how we want the world run next year.

Seriously. It isn't a new phenomenon and it won't change. I agree it's pretty lame but that's how some people play, and that's how it is. Just continue enjoying your life and don't let little facets of your profession, such as this, bother you.

Exactly. If it were really THAT bad or they were really so concerned about the stability of their jobs, they would have bailed out themselves. That's true of almost any job out there.

If you want it bad enough, you'll do it anyway.

Clearly you guys have it all figured out.

I think i've just about had it with Jetcareers.com

Best of luck to all of you.

It goes both ways. Pilot schools will tell you (as they told me) that now is the greatest time to be a pilot because all the Nam pilots are retiring and there is a huge shortage. They also told me that most pilots make six figures. If i had known the truth i still would of flown because i'm not in it for the money. Its what i've always wanted to do. The bottom line is, if you want to fly, fly. Don't let any body deter you. Now to say that any one who moans about their job is a liar, well i just don't buy that. I'm not saying that some people aren't doing this. For the most part, on this site i've got nothing but great sound advice. any way just my .02

-Matt

The above has been delayed for 5 years due to Age 65. Before that we were starting to see JUST the beginning of the shortage when regionals were sweating for pilots and Eagle was paying for RJ courses...

Dear God, please don't leave, Zap! Just ignore the kiddies who think they've got it all figured it. We can't keep losing the guys that have actually "been there, done that." After all, somebody has to school the guys that don't know half of what they think they do from their 100 hours of CRJ time.

A lot of what you call whine and moan I call telling the truth. I take home $535 every two weeks. I live up to 21 days a month with up to 11 other guys in a crashpad. Why don't I quit? Because like a lot of the people that you are calling out I hope to make it better. I like my job but that doesn't mean I don't want to make it better.

Lurkers

Though a couple people might argue back at you there are a lot of people lurking on the internet who aren't signed in to argue back at you because they are learning from the posts of people with a lot of experience on here. I enjoy your posts because you've been around the block more than enough times when it comes to the furlough stuff.

The people that get you riled up on here are a minority. The rest silently agree.

So long, Sir.

Dang it Lloyd - stop being so hard-headed for a minute. I know exactly who you're talking about with this complaining you talk about - and Zap isn't one of them. Zap is a good one - someone who pays it forward - has actual experience - seems to enjoy his job - yet cautions younger folks about the career based on his experience.

Lloyd, when I counsel a young person about the merits of joining the military, I try and paint a full picture, don't you? It's not all slaying dragons and jumping out of planes - it's also cleaning latrines, filling sandbags, and getting yelled at. This is what Zap does for airplane career hopefuls. Not all bad - not all good - just his honest truth.

Showing others how and why you love an airline job is a a good message and needs to be told. However, failing to acknowledge some people's legitimate complaints about the profession is disingenuous in my opinion, and dismissing Zap's opinions and experiences borders on being intentionally obtuse.

Re: Lurkers

Though a couple people might argue back at you there are a lot of people lurking on the internet who aren't signed in to argue back at you because they are learning from the posts of people with a lot of experience on here. I enjoy your posts because you've been around the block more than enough times when it comes to the furlough stuff.

The people that get you riled up on here are a minority. The rest silently agree.

I agree with that. There's a lot of kool aid drinking at this site, no doubt about it. But when I first started flight training, it was places like this that gave me a good indication of what I was getting into. Rather than stick my fingers in my ear and daydream about flying airliners while accumulating huge debt, I tried to prepare for the worst. Now I'm definitely glad I listened to those that discussed the less glamorous side of aviation. There are the absolutely miserable ones that hate everything, but they're easy enough to tune out.

Dang it Lloyd - stop being so hard-headed for a minute.

I thought he used to be hard charging US Marines. :p

Lloyd, you can come to AZO. Dinner and lodge is on me. Bonus, I will show you where they mess up JTrain's head. ;):p:sarcasm:

Zap is not one of the chronic whiners on this site. I will NOT dismiss him with a "good day sir", and I will be extremely disappointed if he does actually leave us.

Dang it Lloyd - stop being so hard-headed for a minute. I know exactly who you're talking about with this complaining you talk about - and Zap isn't one of them. Zap is a good one - someone who pays it forward - has actual experience - seems to enjoy his job - yet cautions younger folks about the career based on his experience.

Lloyd, when I counsel a young person about the merits of joining the military, I try and paint a full picture, don't you? It's not all slaying dragons and jumping out of planes - it's also cleaning latrines, filling sandbags, and getting yelled at. This is what Zap does for airplane career hopefuls. Not all bad - not all good - just his honest truth.

Showing others how and why you love an airline job is a a good message and needs to be told. However, failing to acknowledge some people's legitimate complaints about the profession is disingenuous in my opinion, and dismissing Zap's opinions and experiences borders on being intentionally obtuse.

Eh, dont blame Lloyd for someone else's overreaction. I hear you on painting a full picture, but that includes the positive with the negative. Lately there are a lot of people who are leaving the positive out. In some cases its understandable...its hard to see the positive when you are being furloughed or are unsure about your job. But there are quite a few who are doing just fine and just like to hear themselves talk.

Seriously? You honestly think that we believe we can influence compensation and work rules for an entire INDUSTRY using psychological warfare on message boards?

Yes. Yes you can affect an industry. You are affecting general aviation and the training industry. And in the long run, that is affecting the airline industry.

Unfortunately, I have had multiple students no-show or cancel at my school this past summer. Case in point, #1 Reason Given: "So I decided to read on the message board and it just doesn't sound like the job I want at the end of training...."

It isn't all roses out there. But there ARE other jobs besides the right seat of an airline. Each time some one comes here and bashes their job (sorry, I mean provides their world view), they are affecting someone's decision at the Private Pilot level. Overall, it is killing general aviation. It used to be people got their PPL and then decided, "is this for me?" Now they hop on the net and join every forum and they make that decision before ever stepping into the cockpit. Not good for GA and not good at all for the aviation education industry.

No job out there is perfect. I mean, c'mon, I OWN my company and some days I come home shaking my head. But as far as promoting aviation, I still think flying is the best thing out there.

Rant off.

Michael

How cute. (towards the thread at whole)

Michael,

I would much rather have someone decide PRIOR to investing a couple thousand dollars that they realize the industry, and the profession, will not satisfy them than have them all pissed off at the world that they spent this large sum of money on flight training that won't satisfy them. That is, while a negative for the training industry, a positive for the profession and industry overall. If JetCareers, or AirlinePilotCentral, or even *gasp* FlightInfo, or StudentPilot.com causes it, great - the forums are serving their part in guiding people along.

Also realize, that those of us who came to those very forums a few years ago and are enjoying our profession, perhaps hating the industry, but enjoying it (the profession) nonetheless.

Take the good with the bad, and if someone decides they don't want to make the investment. Tough titties, you're a business owner and you don't need me to tell you this. . .but deal with it.

ZapBrannigan said:

I know who you are elsewhere. . .and yet I notice the key word in the second sentence.

about

Hopefully you don't reach that critical crossing point today, or anytime in the near future. But, if you do. . .I know where to find you. ;)

You're an asset to all the forums you're a member of, keep it up.

Back