New NTSB Chairman's actions

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50150661n

Just watched a news report about the unconventional methods of the new NTSB chairman Deborah Hersman.

She's been intentionally releasing tidbits of information in social media and at press conferences about the investigation which, historically, is something that the NTSB used to avoid like the plague. Apparently, the rationale is that by releasing facts through social media, the NTSB is attempting to be "more transparent" and "putting the facts out there" to avoid people from "creating their own facts".

Personally, I think it's actually driving speculation rather than alleviating it.

Thoughts?

. Apparently, the rationale is that by releasing facts through social media, the NTSB is attempting to be "more transparent" and "putting the facts out there" to avoid people from "creating their own facts".

Personally, I think it's actually driving speculation rather than alleviating it.

Thoughts?

Mostly confirming things we have suspected, I'd always prefer real information to speculation.

I agree. I know I have been speculating on it more than I should. To my wife of course. ;)

I think we're forgetting about "confirmation bias" sometimes.

I have my 'theories' but from the words of Bill Waldock back in college, the "A ha! That's what happened!" is often very different from what actually happened.

I'd bet anyone a dollar that when the investigation is complete, it's going to be very eye-opening about what really went down and will shake a lot of preconceptions.

The chairman's actions are concerning because the American public wants action the next morning. We have an entire "district" of people near Virginia that foam at the mouth to give the masses what they think they want because it means media attention, votes and brownie points in the next election cycle.

Schumer is calling for foreign carriers to have the same level of training that US pilots have. WOT?! :)

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50150661n

Just watched a news report about the unconventional methods of the new NTSB chairman Deborah Hersman.

She's been intentionally releasing tidbits of information in social media and at press conferences about the investigation which, historically, is something that the NTSB used to avoid like the plague. Apparently, the rationale is that by releasing facts through social media, the NTSB is attempting to be "more transparent" and "putting the facts out there" to avoid people from "creating their own facts".

Thoughts?

Meh, I can't do anything about it.

I actually sort of like it, because it gives me something to do besides read rampant speculation; I can watch her briefings and get just the facts as they are known now. What the media does with that information is the downside.

I don't like the "continuous" style of it. It has the feel of the OJ Simpson trial (or take your pick of whatever other famous goofy courtroom thing like that).

By that I mean, each day there's another little tidbit of info put out.

I think the best way to stay transparent would be to put out an update like this only about once a week. Friday afternoon, here's what we've learned this week since the crash...we interviewed __ and __, we found ___ in the wreckage. We noticed ___ from the FDR. Next update in a week.

This continuous stream way of doing it is driving speculation while the investigation is underway. I don't see the point of it beyond an occasional briefing of the latest findings.

I once heard that technique describes as "feed the tiger". Knowing that the media wants to put something out and isn't going to be satisfied until they get something, even if it is meaningless, the providing of some information tends to keep all sides happy. However, that was a technique that was more applicable to accidents that were news for a day and then gone. I don't know if it's a good or bad idea in accidents such as this that tend to hold the public attention for a longer period of time.

Most people make up stupid crap without any information and few people care enough to ever get the real story later, so I see little point in withholding anything. It's not like law enforcement that's holding back info needed to track down a criminal, the accident has already happened, release what you know as you know it.

Most people make up stupid crap without any information and few people care enough to ever get the real story later, so I see little point in withholding anything. It's not like law enforcement that's holding back info needed to track down a criminal, the accident has already happened, release what you know as you know it.

And I see your point.

I think it's like describing an abnormality over the PA.

There's a line of weather, looks real bad and turbulence is going to be crappy.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the seatbelt sign is coming on (*BONG*) please take your seats and secure your seat belts. There will be some turbulence ahead so we're going to suspend cabin service".

That's all the passengers are going to get.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the seatbelt sign is coming on (*BONG*) please take your seats and secure your seat belts. There is a line of level four thunderstorms ahead and they're associated with the high possibility of moderate to severe turbulence and we're going to fly right through that area as we can't outclimb it and don't have the fuel, and/or interest to circumnavigate the storm. HOLD ON"

Nah, then with GoGo wireless onboard, people would fill-in-the-blanks and I'm going to land with a voicemail from the chief pilot.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the seatbelt sign is coming on (*BONG*) please take your seats and secure your seat belts. There is a line of level four thunderstorms ahead and they're associated with the high possibility of moderate to severe turbulence and we're going to fly right through that area as we can't outclimb it and don't have the fuel, and/or interest to circumnavigate the storm. HOLD ON"

"I saw Denzel Washington do this in a movie once, I'm going for that hole... hold on to your seats people! LEEEEEEROOOOYYYY JEEEEENKKKINNNNSSS!"

WHAM! WHAM! WHAM!

Back