New NTSB Chairman's actions

This woman young, beautiful, and smart. Don't be surprise to see her as SEC of Transportation in 8 years.
Nothing more than politics, camera face time, and for popularity.... Granted, Asiana Airline is/was an easy target.

Nonetheless, If It were a U.S. based air carrier..... her mouth would be shut.

Partial point.

Asiana lacked a trustworthy crisis communication staff here in the United States. If Asiana was well positioned, they would have been prepared internationally to handle an international crisis. However, they were not, and now they do not get to lead the "conversation."

Not that I agree they were an easy target, however, they certainly were not positioned to take the lead when it came to providing information to the various publics.

Sorry, as much as I'd love to agree...professional benefits abound...but the powers of globalization and air travel liberalization greatly outweight any ideas to restrict foreign companies operating in the United States.
To put it in layman's terms, "how much are the tickets?"

63xtg81.jpg

Partial credit goes to jtrain609 for the caption. This is memefied for your trolling pleasure. And yes, I'm from the Internet.

Partial point.

Asiana lacked a trustworthy crisis communication staff here in the United States. If Asiana was well positioned, they would have been prepared internationally to handle an international crisis. However, they were not, and now they do not get to lead the "conversation."

Not that I agree they were an easy target, however, they certainly were not positioned to take the lead when it came to providing information to the various publics.

Parading a crying, wounded FA in front of the camera is a GREAT idea from a PR standpoint, you guys!!!

The tiger isn't gonna go hungry, no matter what we may prefer. Just look at the quantity of airtime being filled with un-factual blather. I'd rather have (primarily) reputable sources than rampant fiction and ignorant speculation.

Whether Ms Hersman will gain political capital out of this (she probably will, unless she blows it, always a possibility. But SecDOT isn't the only job out there.) Washington is a city with more leaks than my shower head. Leaks ARE designed primarily for personal or organizational political capital, and truth isn't in the first paragraph.

It'll dry up when they start reporting the quantity of pimento in the martini olives.

Even though it goes against the grain, we DO have the option to turn it off...

Whether Ms Hersman will gain political capital out of this (she probably will, unless she blows it, always a possibility. But SecDOT isn't the only job out there.) Washington is a city with more leaks than my shower head. Leaks ARE designed primarily for personal or organizational political capital, and truth isn't in the first paragraph.

It's not leaking if it's done at a press conference, right?

Leaks = Edward Snowden, Julian Assange, Bradley Manning and friends.

Official duties = having a press conference.

This incident comes along about once every 5 years in the US; the media of the past often referred to the FAA is investigating, blah blah blah.

The NTSB never got much attention, although they are the agency responsible for investigation....We all know this and now so does our national media....and yes "Flight" gave new light to how the NTSB is portrayed in the media....So long a factual information is released, which is unchanged over time....like aircraft age, type, hours, basic data from instruments recorded on the box, tell it like it is and keep it from happening again.

I was more interested in the City of San Fran explaining their response. That's my bias coming through.

Partial point.

Just to expand on this thought, before the NTSB started releasing information, I recall Asiana themselves told the media that there was no mechanical problem with the aircraft. Prior to this accident, I was unaware that these modern aircraft report problems to their company and manufacturer in real time, that was something I learned in the original thread.

By giving daily briefings and releasing information via twitter, the NTSB can maintain some semblance of control over the conversation. As opposed to individuals or entities, with different motives, releasing partial or possibly erroneous information.

I don't see the harm in the information being released, as I expect the professionals gathering the facts and conducting the investigation will be proceeding as they would for any other accident. It is not like they are tainting a jury pool of investigators by releasing information.

I believe that President Obama has already passed her up for that job.

And she's not Gulfstream Girl, by any stretch of the imagination...

I'll say it - She's prettier than Gulfstream Girl (who is not pretty in my opinion). Plus, she (most likely) doesn't have that whole "helped get underage girls for a pedophile" thing going like GG has.

Bottom line, I'd take Deb to dinner.

The NTSB board is politically selected. Politics does play into things at the board level unfortunately. Not necessarily at the line investigator level, but make no mistake about the actual board members being political appointees. Even though all the board members aren't from the same political party, that no longer really seems to make any difference.

I, for one, am disgusted by the Board's handling of this accident in the court of public opinion. When it comes to general information.....I agree with releasing what can be released. I do NOT agree with every single detail of every single thing being released out to the public every single hour of every day.

Unprofessional, and not at all helpful to protecting even one iota of integrity to the investigation.

Will this trend continue as the public will generally demand this much info going forward?

If (when) it does continue, will it put undue pressure on the investigators to rush to conclusions to hit the news cycle needs?

Autothrust Blue said:
Parading a crying, wounded FA in front of the camera is a GREAT idea from a PR standpoint, you guys!!!

Must be the way they do things "over there."

Sucks, and very bad form. Maybe that is what they are teaching in J schools in Asia.

Sure as hell isn't being taught in American J/Comm schools, and definitely not at the graduate level.

I'll say it - She's prettier than Gulfstream Girl (who is not pretty in my opinion). Plus, she (most likely) doesn't have that whole "helped get underage girls for a pedophile" thing going like GG has.

Bottom line, I'd take Deb to dinner.
Me too.

Must be the way they do things "over there."

Sucks, and very bad form. Maybe that is what they are teaching in J schools in Asia.

Sure as hell isn't being taught in American J/Comm schools, and definitely not at the graduate level.

I'm pretty sure that we would never, ever, ever do that in this country. (They did parade the Cactus folks in front of the camera, but that was poetry in motion.)

The NTSB board is politically selected. Politics does play into things at the board level unfortunately. Not necessarily at the line investigator level, but make no mistake about the actual board members being political appointees. Even though all the board members aren't from the same political party, that no longer really seems to make any difference.

I, for one, am disgusted by the Board's handling of this accident in the court of public opinion. When it comes to general information.....I agree with releasing what can be released. I do NOT agree with every single detail of every single thing being released out to the public every single hour of every day.

Unprofessional, and not at all helpful to protecting even one iota of integrity to the investigation.

To play the Devil's Advocate here, people were bitching (even on this board) about the way the NTSB handled the TWA Flight 800 accident with lack of information that was released and how it wasn't "transparent". This lead to all these conspiracy theories from the whack jobs. So, here the NTSB is going in the other extreme. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Personally, I'm disgusted (like you) how the NTSB is handling this.

To play the Devil's Advocate here, people were bitching (even on this board) about the way the NTSB handled the TWA Flight 800 accident with lack of information that was released and how it wasn't "transparent". This lead to all these conspiracy theories from the whack jobs. So, here the NTSB is going in the other extreme. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Personally, I'm disgusted (like you) how the NTSB is handling this.

You posted this Sunday in the other thread.

Chair Hersman is a great advocate for aviation safety and has done a phenomenal job with the NTSB.

She will probably reach a cabinet level position within a few years.

WacoFan said:
You posted this Sunday in the other thread.

Yep. She has really disappointed me the last few days with the way she has handled this. Quite surprising. I know others in the industry are surprised as well.

Yep. She has really disappointed me the last few days with the way she has handled this. Quite surprising. I know others in the industry are surprised as well.

Honest question - how much control do you really think she has over how the transparency type attempt? Someone who's seemed extremely competent, in a federal agency that's seemed extremely competent and all of a sudden there's a 180. Why and do you think it's on her, or from above?

Back