New NTSB Chairman's actions

I've heard this several times. I don't see it.
While I don't think she is, I stumbled across this and think it is the greatest thing ever. So I will share.

hitthat_9b40e7_3571911.jpg

Most likely already been posted somewhere on here ;)

And you NEVER make stupid posts for comedic value? Move along Beebs

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Actually most of my posts are stupid and or for comic value.

I have a fairly large amount of respect for the NTSB as an institution, so while yes, I think the Chairman is an attractive woman, I also think pointing it out diminishes her credibility, is all. ;)

Actually most of my posts are stupid and or for comic value.

I have a fairly large amount of respect for the NTSB as an institution, so while yes, I think the Chairman is an attractive woman, I also think pointing it out diminishes her credibility, is all. ;)
I'm not going to argue about it. Pointing out that she is attractive in no way diminishes her credibility.

Gaining exposure and face time can only enhance her career progression. In addition to her qualifications.

I was told by a lineman last night that the only fatalities were from the fire trucks running over them. I don't think it matters what the NTSB or anyone else says. The talking heads are going to get it wrong, then people are going to mishear it, and then we just have a giant game of telephone going on.

I tend to agree. I thought the first news brief was nice with factual CVR FDR data, but the daily briefs had me scratching my head.

Far too much confusion already occurs without the NTSB releasing bits of information that serve only to aid in the over sensationalization of what occurred.

As a professional aviator, I would expect a full investigation to occur prior to leaks to the media. This reducing confusion and excessive talking head manipulation.

The integrity of an investigation can quickly erode simply by the perception, and reality, that the investigating agency is releasing information in a careless manner.

It's all political. Sorry I didn't see this thread before. See my thread, she's been vying heavily behind the doors for LaHood's Sec of DOT job. She has lobbied privately for it and it was pissing off people at DC.

TFaudree_ERAU said:
I hardly think that 45 minute long briefings are "bits of information".

The social media releases are bits of information.

Yes, briefings are not bits.

How you been?

Far too much confusion already occurs without the NTSB releasing bits of information that serve only to aid in the over sensationalization of what occurred.

As a professional aviator, I would expect a full investigation to occur prior to leaks to the media. This reducing confusion and excessive talking head manipulation.

The integrity of an investigation can quickly erode simply by the perception, and reality, that the investigating agency is releasing information in a careless manner.

Meh.

I see where you (and the Association) are coming from, mind. But I'm a little surprised that the (US) ALPA hasn't played their outrage a little more, er, how do you say...in a politically savvy fashion.

Actually I'm not that surprised, but I'll still pretend to be surprised.

The NTSB board is politically selected. Politics does play into things at the board level unfortunately. Not necessarily at the line investigator level, but make no mistake about the actual board members being political appointees. Even though all the board members aren't from the same political party, that no longer really seems to make any difference.

I, for one, am disgusted by the Board's handling of this accident in the court of public opinion. When it comes to general information.....I agree with releasing what can be released. I do NOT agree with every single detail of every single thing being released out to the public every single hour of every day.

Unprofessional, and not at all helpful to protecting even one iota of integrity to the investigation.

Meh.

I see where you (and the Association) are coming from, mind. But I'm a little surprised that the (US) ALPA hasn't played their outrage a little more, er, how do you say...in a politically savvy fashion.

Actually I'm not that surprised, but I'll still pretend to be surprised.

Yes, I share the sentiment from the Association. However, I am also coming from this from a communication strategist perspective. I recognize why she has chosen to change the script up (comm. strategist perspective). Her departure from traditional NTSB behavior reflects a shift from traditional media towards emerging media which can also lead to increased confusion by the laymen/women who are rushing to write a new story, daily, about the accident.

However, we need to have all the facts presented and evaluated free from the constant media feeding frenzy - that unfortunately can drive reactionary regulatory changes - so that the integrity of the investigation is maintained. I am concerned that her out front appearance may jeopardize the quality of the work by the investigators, especially if she places administrative downward pressure on the team (pilot perspective).

Yes, I share the sentiment from the Association. However, I am also coming from this from a communication strategist perspective. I recognize why she has chosen to change the script up (comm. strategist perspective). Her departure from traditional NTSB behavior reflects a shift from traditional media towards emerging media which can also lead to increased confusion by the laymen/women who are rushing to write a new story, daily, about the accident.

However, we need to have all the facts presented and evaluated free from the constant media feeding frenzy - that unfortunately can drive reactionary regulatory changes - so that the integrity of the investigation is maintained. I am concerned that her out front appearance may jeopardize the quality of the work by the investigators, especially if she places administrative downward pressure on the team (pilot perspective).

To be a little more Machiavellian about it, this might well undermine cabotage efforts, and even reduce the number of foreign carriers allowed to operate into the U.S. if serious deficiencies are found.

(That tends to mean more 'murican jobs.) ;) :D

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50150661n

Just watched a news report about the unconventional methods of the new NTSB chairman Deborah Hersman.

She's been intentionally releasing tidbits of information in social media and at press conferences about the investigation which, historically, is something that the NTSB used to avoid like the plague. Apparently, the rationale is that by releasing facts through social media, the NTSB is attempting to be "more transparent" and "putting the facts out there" to avoid people from "creating their own facts".

Personally, I think it's actually driving speculation rather than alleviating it.

Thoughts?

She is a young, beautiful, and smart woman (bureaucratic standards). I will not be surprise to see her as SEC of Transportation in 4-12 years.
Nothing more than politics, camera face time, and its for popularity. Play with the media.

Ok, granted, Asiana Airline is an easy target. She has capitalized. She is performing the duties of her spokesperson. I have never witnessed a NTSB chairman appear on T.V. so often as Debroah.

Nonetheless, If It were a U.S. based air carrier..... her mouth would be shut.

This woman young, beautiful, and smart. Don't be surprise to see her as SEC of Transportation in 8 years.
Nothing more than politics, camera face time, and for popularity.... Granted, Asiana Airline is/was an easy target.

The manufactured outrage, while quaint, is irrelevant. This is a foreign carrier (low power, low image) and so Hersman is free to run up the score, politically speaking.

This woman young, beautiful, and smart. Don't be surprise to see her as SEC of Transportation in 8 years.
Nothing more than politics, camera face time, and for popularity.... Granted, Asiana Airline is/was an easy target.

You can't say that. :rolleyes:

To be a little more Machiavellian about it, this might well undermine cabotage efforts, and even reduce the number of foreign carriers allowed to operate into the U.S. if serious deficiencies are found.

(That tends to mean more 'murican jobs.) ;) :D

Sorry, as much as I'd love to agree...professional benefits abound...but the powers of globalization and air travel liberalization greatly outweight any ideas to restrict foreign companies operating in the United States.

You can't say that. :rolleyes:

I see what you did there. Well played, sir, well played ;)

Sorry, as much as I'd love to agree...professional benefits abound...but the powers of globalization and air travel liberalization greatly outweight any ideas to restrict foreign companies operating in the United States.

That counterargument falls flat with me, because 'murika. But if you want to talk about the "just culture" side of it, a rush to judgement in the court of public opinion is detrimental to safety - that one, I'll entertain ;)

Back