New Caravan Winglets

The problem with the PA31 for pax 135 is the altitude limitation. How did the empty/gross weights of the T1040 compare to the Chieftain? IIRC the Thielert 4.0 were heavier than the 540/541/520's.
The Diesel in the 182 is heavier than the TSIO-520, but because of the lower fuel consumption, useful load over a given range actually went up.

If you need pressurization then you need a different airplane. I would not advocate for turbines on unpressurized airplanes because the fuel burn is too high.

The problem with the PA31 for pax 135 is the altitude limitation. How did the empty/gross weights of the T1040 compare to the Chieftain? IIRC the Thielert 4.0 were heavier than the 540/541/520's.
Nah, the problem with the chieftain is parts support. If you want to go high, you need a different airplane, but you don't need to go high on those sub-100 mile EAS trips.

Really I don't see the 402/pa31 twins coming back though, as everyone seems pretty content with the caravan and the pilatus. Too bad, as that means less and less ways for guys getting started to cut their teeth flying twins. The most fun I've ever had in an airplane is flying 30-40 minute hops in a chieftain.

I would not advocate for turbines on unpressurized airplanes because the fuel burn is too high.

Depends on the mission.

We operate part 121, 5 unpressurized turbine airplanes (208,DHC6 and F406), on our sectors having a pressurized airplane wouldn't bring any cost benefit.

Makes sense, I flew a Mojave and you could tell it was begging for turbine engines. The Brazilians built a Navajo under license with the -27!!!

Was there ever a geared engine on the Navajo?
The PNav. which on paper had 425hp engines. On paper.

Depends on the mission.

We operate part 121, 5 unpressurized turbine airplanes (208,DHC6 and F406), on our sectors having a pressurized airplane wouldn't bring any cost benefit.
Exactly, short legs don't really give the pressurized aircraft much benefit. Although even with the caravan it's amazing what a difference there is in fuel efficiency between 1000' and 8-10k.

Depends on the mission.

I bet the useful load of those 3 with 2 hrs fuel onboard is much greater than the turbine 'Jo.

The 406 was different. The tail definitely was. I just recall the 350 hp Lycs gulped fuel, but any turbine would probably burn more AND the fuel is heavier.

Depends on the mission.

No I meant that piston engines burn far less fuel at the low altitudes that unpressurized airplanes operate at.

I bet the useful load of those 3 with 2 hrs fuel onboard is much greater than the turbine 'Jo.

We can't refuel at any of our destinations and we don't fuel based on the actual trip but we have standard quantities for regions we fly to (a lot of things happen last minute: extra stop for a pick up...we always have more fuel then we need). Our most common trip is two hours round trip (DHC6 and 208), we carry 3 hours of fuel on board, flying at FL105/FL095 sometimes FL115.... 2400# of cargo/pax in the Van and 3300# in the TOtter
I don't know the 406 real well, but isn't it basically a turbine 402? If so I would imagine it was pretty comparable to the T1040.

I don't think there are many in the USA, it is based on the 404 Titan. The F406 Reims was developed for the European and Asian/Australian market where regulations limit the use of single engine airplanes for commercial operation, so pretty much to do the job of a C208B, it has the same seating capacity and with the cargo pod fitted it becomes a very nice utility airplane. It has also a huge cargo door that can fit standard size pallets. To some degree it can be used as a bush plane, landing t/o performance are not has good as the 208 but still pretty impressive, ours is operated out of a 2100 ft runway.

Most in operation are used by governments.

Back