New Caravan Winglets

I don't think there are many in the USA, it is based on the 404 Titan. The F406 Reims was developed for the European and Asian/Australian market where regulations limit the use of single engine airplanes for commercial operation, so pretty much to do the job of a C208B, it has the same seating capacity and with the cargo pod fitted it becomes a very nice utility airplane. It has also a huge cargo door that can fit standard size pallets. To some degree it can be used as a bush plane, landing t/o performance are not has good as the 208 but still pretty impressive, ours is operated out of a 2100 ft runway.

Most in operation are used by governments.

There's one up here that is used as a school bus. I like the trailing link gear.

I seem to recall somebody is going to start building the 406 again.

Correct, a Chinese company subsidiary of Continental.

The French would still be making them, but they tried to make a modern version of the Twin Otter: the Skylander and they drained their finances.

Correct, a Chinese company subsidiary of Continental.

The French would still be making them, but they tried to make a modern version of the Twin Otter: the Skylander and they drained their finances.
You mean like the DHC-6-400 or the Let 410/420 or the Harbin Y-12? I think they have that part of the market covered.

There's one up here that is used as a school bus. I like the trailing link gear.
Ah yes. BSSD. It was down for a while with a cracked spar I believe. Maybe the best job in the state.
The-F-406.jpg

It's the Cessna/Y-12 a pos?
2 Y-12's stopped in Ketchikan last summer on a ferry flight from China to Peru. Both Russian crews had nothing good to say about them (mostly cursing about the airplane in a mix of Russia and English), with the only positive being that they had real PT6 engines.

2 Y-12's stopped in Ketchikan last summer on a ferry flight from China to Peru. Both Russian crews had nothing good to say about them (mostly cursing about the airplane in a mix of Russia and English), with the only positive being that they had real PT6 engines.

So it's second hand info so far. Got it.

:rolleyes:

I had a roommate that flew the Y12 for 4 years, the airline also flies DHC6-300. While no-one had a true love for the plane they did the job, it is a fairly capable bush plane for the price, the ones they had were fully re wired to western standards.

For the same price of a Y12 you can buy a -200 Otter with upgraded engines, put the HG STC and you have something better then a 300.

The best airplane in this category is the AN 28 or even the Western Skytruck version.

Chinese built airplane. Nuff said.

really?

The same company that builds the Y12 has built under license several western aircraft like the ERJ145/Legacy (for the Asian market) and all sort of Eurocopters.
They also make a lot of parts for Boeing and Airbus, the A320 elevators and rudders are made there, they build about 5% of the airframe components of the new A350....and for Boeing they make components for the 777 empanage.

Last edited:
Back