NetJets opens pilot application window

Is NetJets worth leaving a 135 jet PIC job with a cruddy schedule? It'd be a pay cut, but the schedule would be way better, along with the benefits ad equipment. But sitting in the right seat for possibly 10 years, while not bettering my career due to the lack of PIC doesn't really appeal to me, mostly because of the pay.

It depends on what your long term goals are. If you are looking to stay on the 'general aviation' side of aviation and don't really care for the part 135 or part 91 'when am I in rest?' game, then long term I think Netjets is a good bet. Of course I'm sure there will be short term pain to make sure it will be a place someone wants to stay at long term, but I believe we will get there.

If your goals are true 91 corporate or airlines, then I would not go to Netjets as sitting as an SIC for 10 years isn't going to help.

It depends on what your long term goals are. If you are looking to stay on the 'general aviation' side of aviation and don't really care for the part 135 or part 91 'when am I in rest?' game, then long term I think Netjets is a good bet. Of course I'm sure there will be short term pain to make sure it will be a place someone wants to stay at long term, but I believe we will get there.

If your goals are true 91 corporate or airlines, then I would not go to Netjets as sitting as an SIC for 10 years isn't going to help.

I'm not sure what my end goal is. I'd love to have one of those cushy 91 jobs that everyone reads about, but what are the chances of that happening? I don't have a big desire to go to the airlines, so I'm not sure where that leaves me.

I'm not sure what my end goal is. I'd love to have one of those cushy 91 jobs that everyone reads about, but what are the chances of that happening? I don't have a big desire to go to the airlines, so I'm not sure where that leaves me.
Find a niche and capitalize on it.

5-6 years ago, Netjets was the goal. Now….? I honestly think it sounds absolutely miserable.

I don't think there is anyone in their right mind that is going to leave a major, or a top notch 91 or even135 department. But…There is no shortage of crappy 91/135 jobs, not to mention unemployed pilots looking for a paycheck. This isn't going to be like the regionals a couple years ago, there will be no shortage in experience applying. Hope it works out for everyone.

Goodluck on the contract, and to those applying.

Is NetJets worth leaving a 135 jet PIC job with a cruddy schedule? It'd be a pay cut, but the schedule would be way better, along with the benefits ad equipment. But sitting in the right seat for possibly 10 years, while not bettering my career due to the lack of PIC doesn't really appeal to me, mostly because of the pay.

It's not all about pay…I would take a way better quality of life and schedule if it meant a small pay cut.

How much jet PIC do you have? If you have 1,000+, who cares if your in the right seat for 10 years? Any reasonable 91 gig is going to value your past 1,000 hours in command, and is also going to have the common sense that your ten years right seating at Netjets was valuable experience in which you were part of the decision making process, and your lack of progression to the left seat was not based on merit.

Goodluck

It's not all about pay…I would take a way better quality of life and schedule if it meant a small pay cut.

How much jet PIC do you have? If you have 1,000+, who cares if your in the right seat for 10 years? Any reasonable 91 gig is going to value your past 1,000 hours in command, and is also going to have the common sense that your ten years right seating at Netjets was valuable experience in which you were part of the decision making process, and your lack of progression to the left seat was not based on merit.

Goodluck

This.

I'm pretty sure what you do with your logbook not for a certificate or rating is up to you.

Some places specifically do not allow the FO to log PIC time as pilot flying (Flexjet) at least that is what I have been told. While I agree that you can do whatever you want with your logbook, I wonder if there is something in their Op Specs or FOM...

What does the current EJA fleet consist of? What is the most likely a/c that someone would get as a new hire?

Does NJA allow logging of PIC time with FOs when they are PF?

I don't think Netjets cares how you log the time, but they are VERY clear on their flight time reports that an SIC is an SIC. No matter how much I've been the flying pilot as a type rated SIC, I still have 0 PIC logged for my Netjets career.

I don't know if other employers would request a flight time summary from Netjets as part of a background check, but I wouldn't want to be in a position to try and justify PIC time in my logbook when Netjets shows a big fat goose egg on the report.

What does the current EJA fleet consist of? What is the most likely a/c that someone would get as a new hire?

Netjets pilots typically fly 1 aircraft at a time, just like the airlines. The following is a list of aircraft that has its own fleet specific pilots:
  • Phenom 300
  • Citation Encore
  • Citation Encore+
  • Citation XL
  • Citation Soverign
  • Citation X
  • Hawker 800/900
  • Falcon 2000
  • Falcon 2000 EASy
  • G200
  • GIVSP
  • GV, G550, G450
  • Global 5000/6000
  • Challenger 300 (we call it the Challenger 350)
We are also set to receive the following aircraft:
  • Challenger 605 (we call it the Challenger 650) - 2015
  • Citation Latitude - 2016
  • Global 7000/8000 - 2017
From the latest seniority list, someone getting on now might get: XL, Phenom, X, Falcon 2000, or Hawker 800/900. Total and complete crap shoot on what you might get assigned.

I don't think Netjets cares how you log the time, but they are VERY clear on their flight time reports that an SIC is an SIC. No matter how much I've been the flying pilot as a type rated SIC, I still have 0 PIC logged for my Netjets career.

I don't know if other employers would request a flight time summary from Netjets as part of a background check, but I wouldn't want to be in a position to try and justify PIC time in my logbook when Netjets shows a big fat goose egg on the report.
Thank you for the continual flow of information!
That's a great point about pic. Always figured you could log it the way you want (true in your heart ) but just be ready to explain it in an interview. I was also under the impression that those 1000 hrs tpic requirements refer to 1000hrs of signing for the plane and not merely being the flying pilot on a leg...
Thoughts?

I was also under the impression that those 1000 hrs tpic requirements refer to 1000hrs of signing for the plane and not merely being the flying pilot on a leg...
Thoughts?

Straight from the FedEx qualifications. "Note: PIC for this purpose is defined as Captain/Aircraft Commander of record, not simply the sole manipulator of the controls."

I know it is never good to count "soft money", but on average, how much overtime and holiday pay do you get?

One thing I noticed on the application was that you must be able to fly on planes where the owners are smoking. Is this common on NetJet planes?

One thing I noticed on the application was that you must be able to fly on planes where the owners are smoking. Is this common on NetJet planes?

What fracguy said. Seems I won't have one for 3 years, then 2 in a month, so the average is probably 1 a year.

Back