NetJets opens pilot application window

Reading through this thread,and then looking at APC, it looks like the most junior guy flying a Citation is earning upwards of 57K a year, and the top guy is earning half again that much. And that's for a co-pilot. Not exactly understanding what the beef is regarding the salary. What am I am missing?

Reading through this thread,and then looking at APC, it looks like the most junior guy flying a Citation is earning upwards of 57K a year, and the top guy is earning half again that much. And that's for a co-pilot. Not exactly understanding what the beef is regarding the salary. What am I am missing?
Short and simplified answer:

Mgmt wants the pilot group to take pay cuts all while NetJets. Is making good profits and paying off debt. Along with more work.

You're missing the fact that it's supposed to be a career job, and that isn't exactly good pay for a career flying job.

I fly with a LOT of former airline guys (mostly retired during the mid 2000s), and to a man each has said that this job is MUCH more difficult than what they dealt with at a 121 carrier. For a pilot group that is the face of our company (we are the pilots, flight attendants, customer service agents, baggage agents, etc), we deserve to be compensated at LEAST at the LCC level (hopefully much higher). This is from the company's job posting:

• "The Pilot is responsible to provide a superior air transportation experience with a continued safety record second to none on each and every flight. The Pilot is the face of NetJets providing not only technically accurate and safe transportation but also providing an exclusive service experience for every NetJets Owner and passenger. The Pilot is expected to effectively wear many hats resulting in a concierge service level experience with roles ranging from professional aviator to in-flight service provider. The Pilot is in full command of the aircraft at all times and must always maintain a professional demeanor."

To provide that level of service to some of the most wealthy people on the planet, I think we deserve a better contract than the mediocre one we now work under.

Applied. What do you think competitive experience would be?

Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer for you, and those of us on the line are really curious about this as well. Are people with that kind of experience going to sign up for being a SIC for possibly 10 years? I'm not sure.

That said, to anyone who is interested in working here and has the minimums, get that application in! I was hired right at the mins, so I know it can happen.

Short and simplified answer:

Mgmt wants the pilot group to take pay cuts all while NetJets. Is making good profits and paying off debt. Along with more work.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. For a company that is making record profits, starting a new operations in China, is accelerating delivery of new aircraft to keep up with demand, and hiring new employees, it is a slap in the face.

Take concessions so that we can pass those savings on to the wealthiest people in the world? Um, no.

57k a year with a 10 year upgrade and a relatively low long term salary. 15yr capt isn't that great. At least as a career job. People would be better off at spirit, jetblue, etc.
I think netjets would be cool. A fun job. There is no way I could do it at that compensation compared to what I have now. I mean, maybe if it was like 7-10 days a month. Then that money looks good.

I mean, maybe if it was like 7-10 days a month. Then that money looks good.

Yep, sign me up!! I would be all over a 7 on, 21 off schedule at our current compensation.

Currently we work between 15-18 days a month (depending on the schedule). I think we can do better.

I fly with a LOT of former airline guys (mostly retired during the mid 2000s), and to a man each has said that this job is MUCH more difficult than what they dealt with at a 121 carrier. For a pilot group that is the face of our company (we are the pilots, flight attendants, customer service agents, baggage agents, etc), we deserve to be compensated at LEAST at the LCC level (hopefully much higher). This is from the company's job posting:

• "The Pilot is responsible to provide a superior air transportation experience with a continued safety record second to none on each and every flight. The Pilot is the face of NetJets providing not only technically accurate and safe transportation but also providing an exclusive service experience for every NetJets Owner and passenger. The Pilot is expected to effectively wear many hats resulting in a concierge service level experience with roles ranging from professional aviator to in-flight service provider. The Pilot is in full command of the aircraft at all times and must always maintain a professional demeanor."

To provide that level of service to some of the most wealthy people on the planet, I think we deserve a better contract than the mediocre one we now work under.
MUST LIKE TWICE....ARRGGHH, CAN'T LIKE TWICE!!

So would I. But that is effectively doubling what you make now.
And it would get his pay pretty close to a legacy FO pay and maybe match an LCC pay with a couple more days off a month. Oh yeah, and he might have to take a shytzu for a walk while its owner is taking a dump in the ladies room....what's your point?

And it would get his pay pretty close to a legacy FO pay and maybe match an LCC pay with a couple more days off a month. Oh yeah, and he might have to take a shytzu for a walk while its owner is taking a dump in the ladies room....what's your point?
Good luck asking for a 2x my current salary raise. I guess that's my point.
It would be much more likely to just find yourself that raise via another job.

In the SF Bay area it would be next to impossible to raise a family on 57K a year. A 10 year upgrade? Considering how many years it takes to get the job at Netjets that is pretty low pay and no end of low pay for a long time. It doesn't matter if one is sitting in the left or right seat. The hard work is the non flying duties that usually the SIC winds up doing. Cleaning the entire aircraft including the lav, setting up catering, waiting for the passengers in the FBO then carrying or taking baggage carts full of bags to the aircraft, loading up the bags, hopping onboard, brief the PAX, getting up during the flight and helping the PAX connect his phone to the wifi, helping with cleaning the aircraft while PAX are onboard, helping the passengers disembark, unloading the bags, cleaning the aircraft on arrival, then restocking the aircraft. Do that 3X a day in the Phenom.

Trust me the work is brutal. The flying is great. However I will never go back to overfull, maxed out range trips on a light jet. Sitting in the copilots seat where technically you could be replaced by a non pilot. Spend 8-10 hours a day sitting in a light jet and this job pays less than it takes to live in Northern California.

Good luck asking for a 2x my current salary raise. I guess that's my point.
It would be much more likely to just find yourself that raise via another job.
I understand what your saying, and I realize my support of this pilot group makes it difficult to convince people I'm a free market capitalist...I guess I just grew up thinking NetJets was the holy grail of jobs and the 10 year FO pay (and the fact that I'd be a 10 year FO) leaves me a bit disillusioned...
I also believe a rising tide raises all ships...

I understand what your saying, and I realize my support of this pilot group makes it difficult to convince people I'm a free market capitalist...I guess I just grew up thinking NetJets was the holy grail of jobs and the 10 year FO pay (and the fact that I'd be a 10 year FO) leaves me a bit disillusioned...
I also believe a rising tide raises all ships...
And possibly one in a single pilot jet. Try taking that experience and making more money with it.

It will be interesting to see what they do... At one point I was interested in NetJets, but even as a senior RJ FO it wouldn't be worth the switch under their current contract.

I think you need to tread lightly on topics that you are still learning about.

Not trying to come off as rude, just offering some insight.

A lot, apparently. Prior to 2008, I REALLY wanted to work at NetJets. Now, not so much (and I know a lot of people who share this sentiment). This is supposed to be a career job. Anyone who's "worthy" of being hired by HR has paid their dues (and then some, more than likely) to get here, and as such, $57k is an absolute slap in the face, which is made worse by the fact that you'll be in said seat for a decade (or longer).

As others have pointed out, this kind of flying is MUCH harder than what the 121 guys do.

More to the point, the real issue that I have with things now isn't the actual fiscal figure of the salary, but the fact that management expects the employees to take concessions so that management can improve their profitability and "pass along savings" to the wealthiest .1% individuals in the world. Sorry, but even as the guy with a degree in Finance, I don't think that pilots, dispatchers, flight attendants, and mechanics who support an operation such as this should be taking pay cuts so that their clientele can save 3% on the cost of a $250k trip on their Gulfstream.

Is NetJets worth leaving a 135 jet PIC job with a cruddy schedule? It'd be a pay cut, but the schedule would be way better, along with the benefits ad equipment. But sitting in the right seat for possibly 10 years, while not bettering my career due to the lack of PIC doesn't really appeal to me, mostly because of the pay.

Back