NetJets opens pilot application window

NightCargo

Just found out that NetJets opened their application window this morning for pilots. Hard requirements are:

High School Diploma required, Bachelor's Degree preferred.

Types of Certifications/Licenses: Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) certificate, (Airplane Multi-Engine Land); Valid First Class Medical certificate.

2500 hours total flying experience with at least 500 hours at the controls of a fixed wing, multi-engine aircraft

250 hours of instrument time (actual or simulated in flight excluding simulator time).

Anyone considering applying should be fully aware that the pilot contract negotiations continue their downward spiral. Informational picketing is continuing right now in Miami at the NetJets Art Basel event.

NJASAP has also filed two lawsuits against the company this week.

Reuters: http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSL2N0TN2CU20141203?irpc=932
CNBC: http://www.cnbc.com/id/102237333

I'm not tied to the hiring committee in any way, so I can't offer any help that way, but if anyone has any other questions please post them up and I will do my best to answer.

Submit application:
https://www5.apply2jobs.com/NetJets...ction=mExternal.showJob&RID=649&CurrentPage=1

Good luck!!

Thanks for a good post! Here are my questions...
Will they actually hire from the wave of applicants?
Or is it, as previously suggested, a management ploy?
Are any of the folks still on the street that passed up the first recall doing so in support of the union?
If the answer to the last three questions are yes, no, yes, will new hires have some kind of stigma attached?
I dunno, feels like I'd be jumping into a bees nest to get some honey. Or, I'm just reading too much into it.

I think I'm reading too much into it...Nevertheless, wondering about future hat hanging prospects.

Thanks for a good post! Here are my questions...
Will they actually hire from the wave of applicants?
Or is it, as previously suggested, a management ploy?
Are any of the folks still on the street that passed up the first recall doing so in support of the union?
If the answer to the last three questions are yes, no, yes, will new hires have some kind of stigma attached?
I dunno, feels like I'd be jumping into a bees nest to get some honey. Or, I'm just reading too much into it.

Well, they took that job posting down quickly! Don't know if that was a trial run, or if anyone was even successful in submitting an application.

Will try and answer your questions below:
1. I believe that there will be new hires, and the number I keep hearing is around 200 for 2015. Some of our furloughed pilots are now receiving a 'return or resign' letter from NetJets, so the actual return rate will determine when new hires are brought in.
2. I don't think it's a management ploy. We are accelerating delivery of aircraft and keeping some of the old ones as well, so we need the bodies in the seats.
3. No, I don't believe so. I think they are accepting/deferring their recall based on their personal situation. If they have a training contract at their current employers, military leave, etc, they are deferring. If Netjets is better than their current gig, they are coming back.
4. No. No stigma for being a new hire at Netjets during negotiations. I was hired during the last contentious round of negotiations, and heard nothing but a lot of 'Welcome!'(s) when I hit the line. In fact I was told by numerous pilot that during my probationary year, I was wise to keep my head down and out to stay out of the fray. If anyone here at JC is hired during 2015 at Netjets, I would offer them the same advice: Let those of us who are not on probation take the heat. After your first year is over and full union protection is afforded, feel free to get involved with lawful union activities (picketing, etc).

I just want to make sure that anyone who is considering coming to Netjets have as much information as possible. Just like many airlines during times of negotiations, things are not very rosy right now. We still have a livable contract, and I believe they will get markedly better over the next 12-16 months once an agreement is reached.

If you were to guess, how much would the pay scale improve under the new contract? I looked at the present pay scale and was underwhelmed.

If you were to guess, how much would the pay scale improve under the new contract? I looked at the present pay scale and was underwhelmed.
Yeah that was my issue as well given the expected time spent in the right seat. The way it was explained to me, and someone with the words "net jets" on their paycheck can expand, was that the pay scale was never intended to support 10 year FO's. So, nobody used to mind the flat rise in pay for the right seater...
It is pretty sad that you could make more money quicker at a regional airline with a descent upgrade time...

You are right; the SIC scale is less than impressive. For realistic current pay add 10% to the base pay numbers you see on APC (for overtime, holiday pay, etc), but the end result is the same = pay is too low.

Our negotiators are tight lipped as to what their or the company proposals might be, so we don't have any guidance on what we can expect...not even from the rumor mill. I would expect to see the longevity scales extended to match the PIC side, as the SIC scale stops at 10 years, the PIC scale goes to 14-17 years. In my opinion an annual COLA bump in pay should be a requirement in any new TA. I also think that the starting pay needs to be bumped up SUBSTANTIALLY to compensate for the amount of work that is done, and the long/non-existent upgrade time. Using the current PIC scale as the basis for a new SIC scale would be a good place to start.

We have an app to contact our negotiating committee and send them our ideas on what we want to see in the next contract. I would be happy to forward along your comments as potential Netjets employees who may want to work here, except for the current SIC pay. So, here is a question for you guys: What would it take pay wise (all other benefits remaining equal) for you to WANT to apply here? If the upgrades are 10 years, what kind of pay scale would you be happy with for that amount of time?

Yeah that was my issue as well given the expected time spent in the right seat. The way it was explained to me, and someone with the words "net jets" on their paycheck can expand, was that the pay scale was never intended to support 10 year FO's. So, nobody used to mind the flat rise in pay for the right seater...
It is pretty sad that you could make more money quicker at a regional airline with a descent upgrade time...

All true. When I was hired here it was at $27,000 to start, and upgrades were running right at 6 months. The new contract goes through, and I hear 'don't worry, it should only be a year or so for your upgrade!' Next contract (our current one) is approved and I hear 'One more year....max!!!'

It was always sold to us as 'the top of the SIC scale doesn't need improvement, because no one will ever see it'. I, and many others, have reached the top of the SIC scale, and we are still waiting.

I think that's one of the reasons why this contract negotiation is getting ugly. We have accepted and tolerated mediocrity for so long that we know it is not acceptable to keep us, and future Netjets pilots, in this position any longer. Substantial gains will be required in the next contract for ALL levels for my 'yes' vote...SIC year 1 thru PIC year 17.

With Phenom SIC more than likely being the entry level position, you guys are in a tough spot. Your first year pay is very good for that plane. Hell, your whole FO pay scale is pretty good for the plane. The 2014 Pro Pilot Salary Survey shows average Captain pay on the Phenom at $66K. That's not too much more than your FO pay. Honestly, how much could it really come up before you price yourselves out of the market?

Your biggest hurdle will be attracting the people with the experience you're looking for, while telling them that they will be the SIC on a single pilot jet. It will be interesting to see the break down of experience in the first few classes.

You are right; the SIC scale is less than impressive. For realistic current pay add 10% to the base pay numbers you see on APC (for overtime, holiday pay, etc), but the end result is the same = pay is too low.

Our negotiators are tight lipped as to what their or the company proposals might be, so we don't have any guidance on what we can expect...not even from the rumor mill. I would expect to see the longevity scales extended to match the PIC side, as the SIC scale stops at 10 years, the PIC scale goes to 14-17 years. In my opinion an annual COLA bump in pay should be a requirement in any new TA. I also think that the starting pay needs to be bumped up SUBSTANTIALLY to compensate for the amount of work that is done, and the long/non-existent upgrade time. Using the current PIC scale as the basis for a new SIC scale would be a good place to start.

We have an app to contact our negotiating committee and send them our ideas on what we want to see in the next contract. I would be happy to forward along your comments as potential Netjets employees who may want to work here, except for the current SIC pay. So, here is a question for you guys: What would it take pay wise (all other benefits remaining equal) for you to WANT to apply here? If the upgrades are 10 years, what kind of pay scale would you be happy with for that amount of time?
I think a steeper rate of increase over the years is what I'd be looking for. The amount of time it takes me to get to a certain milestone of income is too long. The legacy's and some of the LCC's give a guy some hope of making a good living relatively quickly without having to depend on an upgrade.
Also, I don't know how it works with scheduling, but the 7/7 schedule is what attracts me the most, but offers such a dismal pay scale compared to the other ones. Which leads me to a question I can't remember the answer to...
Do you get to pick the schedule you are on (first year) or are you placed into one...(I thought you mentioned everyone starts on 18 day fixed, but for how long?)
Thanks again for all the good info!

With Phenom SIC more than likely being the entry level position, you guys are in a tough spot. Your first year pay is very good for that plane. Hell, your whole FO pay scale is pretty good for the plane. The 2014 Pro Pilot Salary Survey shows average Captain pay on the Phenom at $66K. That's not too much more than your FO pay. Honestly, how much could it really come up before you price yourselves out of the market?

Your biggest hurdle will be attracting the people with the experience you're looking for, while telling them that they will be the SIC on a single pilot jet. It will be interesting to see the break down of experience in the first few classes.
Didn't really consider that...:(

Since upgrades are so far out, steeper increases in F/O pay would be what I want, or some sort of clause that you automatically upgrade to PIC after a set amount of time. That last part would probably be a hard sell, but the first part shouldn't be.

I could live on the 18 day sched no problem, but 7/7 would be a big pay cut from where I am now.

While I would love to have the stability and schedule of working at Netjets I'm pretty sure I could never fly as an FO on a single pilot aircraft again. Taking a pay cut to do that would be even more difficult. With the majors hiring it will be interesting to see who winds up applying. Best of luck to the Netjets pilot group on negotiations.

Do you get to pick the schedule you are on (first year) or are you placed into one...(I thought you mentioned everyone starts on 18 day fixed, but for how long?)

Everyone starts on the 18 day training schedule, and remains on it until at least the completion of IOE. You can bid a 7/7 line on the next schedule bid (which occur every 4 months). There are certain circumstances that the company will allow you a 7/7 line earlier, but it is completely up to them.

I would count on 6 months on the 18 day schedule.

At Netjets, a Phenom SIC makes the same as a Falcon 2000 SIC. Since we don't have aircraft specific scales, they came up with those 'blended' rates that smooth out the peaks and valleys. That's what makes our scales so jacked up.

Netjets has always hired into multiple fleets in a single class. New hires may get a choice, or they may not. For example, in my class we had Falcon 2000, G200, Citation X, Excel, and Ultra pilots. Since i was not offered a choice, and others were, I ended up with a Falcon 2000 guy junior to me. By my avatar, I bet you can guess which fleet I was hired into!

If you get that far, its a total crap shoot what you end up as: an overpaid Phenom 300 SIC, or underpaid Falcon 2000 SIC.

Netjets has officially announced the hiring to the rest of the employees, with interviews to start in the coming weeks. Looks like new hires can pick from the following bases:

ABQ Albuquerque Intl. Sunport Albuquerque NM
ATL Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta Intl. Atlanta GA
AUS Austin Bergstrom Intl. Austin TX
BDL Bradley Intl. Windsor Locks CT
BED Hanscom Field Bedford MA
BHM Birmingham Intl. Birmingham AL
BIL Billings Logan Intl. Billings MT
BNA Nashville Intl. Nashville TN
BOI Boise Air Terminal Boise ID
BOS Logan Intl. Boston MA
BTV Burlington Intl. Burlington VT
BUF Buffalo Niagara Intl. Buffalo NY