Need low hour job; will move anywhere (Inside USA or elsewhere)

FlyingGuy

Hello, I currently have 208 total flight hours (258 if FTD Sim time counts for anything), my Multi-Engine CPL, Instrument Cert, High Performance and Complex Endorsements, as well as a Bachelor's Degree, and I am looking for job to build some hours. I am not interested in the CFI/Instructor route but will gladly take anything else and move ASAP.

Of my 208 total time, 105 hours come from a Multi-Engine Piper Seminole (PA-44) if that helps. At this moment I am doing some training in Jacksonville, FL, however my home airport where I received all of my certs from is in Raleigh-Durham, NC.

I have been scouring the internet for low time jobs that I may be qualified for, but I do know that there may be many positions out there that do not have an internet presence or up to date online vacancy postings thus I am reaching out to you in hopes of some connections that you might be willing to share.

Any leads will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help!

Look for aerial survey jobs, specifically ones with twins (most of them). You'd be an easy upgrade into one with your multi time .

Thanks, that helps. I have been browsing survey jobs. Do you know of any off the top of your head that fly twins?

I know Skylens does, and they're a great company! But no idea what their hiring needs are right now, a search on this forum should turn that up for you.

If you want an easy job change your stance about getting your CFI ticket. If not, it's going to be a big hill to climb to get your ATP or competitive mins to be hired at a good flying job.

It might be a bit late to get in on any of the Picto survey jobs, but there's a list of all 5 or 6 vendors on this forum and if you've got the time you can shoot them a resume. I know more and more flight schools will help you get your CFI in exchange for you sticking around to teach, usually for a year and that's likely your best bet for getting time. There are also a lot of dropzones with 182s. I know they have one near you in FHB that you might be able to work at. I'd recommend checking dropzone.com's classifieds. That said you'll likely need another job at some point to get you up to 121/135 mins for night time and cross country.

I don't know of the name of the flight school in Miami, but at Opa Locka a friend worked there and had them pay for the rating. He seemed pretty happy with the company and Florida's full of flight schools. I think it might be in your best bet to find a place to get your CFI quick and choose the best flight school that you can find as some are paying in the 30s and even 40s so you could soon recoup what you paid. I know American Flyers is offering the CFI and CFII for 3k.

Hello, I currently have 208 total flight hours (258 if FTD Sim time counts for anything), my Multi-Engine CPL, Instrument Cert, High Performance and Complex Endorsements, as well as a Bachelor's Degree, and I am looking for job to build some hours. I am not interested in the CFI/Instructor route but will gladly take anything else and move ASAP.

Of my 208 total time, 105 hours come from a Multi-Engine Piper Seminole (PA-44) if that helps. At this moment I am doing some training in Jacksonville, FL, however my home airport where I received all of my certs from is in Raleigh-Durham, NC.

I have been scouring the internet for low time jobs that I may be qualified for, but I do know that there may be many positions out there that do not have an internet presence or up to date online vacancy postings thus I am reaching out to you in hopes of some connections that you might be willing to share.

Any leads will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help!
It sounded like you went through ATP is that correct?

Never had an interest. I went through the MEI part of the program and got the sign off from the 2 year, but I wasn't ready to take the checkride all within 3 weeks so I went back to my training center and completed my commercial single. I have the sign off, so if I can't find a job I'll try to reschedule that MEI checkride.
For now I'm pretty sure I am going to get my tailwheel endorsement next week to try to broaden my resume for banner towing. No other real job leads so far

I would love a surveying job, but I haven't found one that I meet the minimum qualifications for yet. I am currently at 225tt

I would love a surveying job, but I haven't found one that I meet the minimum qualifications for yet. I am currently at 225tt

Have you actually? Landcare will likely be looking for at least a few pilots during the season and they have no mins listed on their website. http://www.landvue.com/Employment.html I know Air America has no time minimums and that's always been the case. Sandhills has no advertised minimums so I don't know where you got this idea that you didn't meet the minimums. There are dozens of threads on this forum for you to find out more information about pictometry survey vendors. Hell I've probably started about 4 or 5 myself. You can also email Doug at dgourley@williamsaerial.com ask him if they need any pilots on the Ground Imaging side of things.

You might also be able to get on as an SIC on a Cessna 208 at Southern Airways. It's not much money, but at least you'll be building time. info@iflysouthern.com

Thanks, always appreciative for more information. I was referring to Part 135 mins, but I have read some of those threads before I believe.

I sent resumes to Landcare Aviation, Air America, Northern States Aviation, and Keystone Aerial Survey about 3-4 weeks ago and only heard back from Northern States and Keystone. Keystone said they had a hard min of 350tt and Northern States said they didn't need pilots at this time.

I have not sent anything to Sandhills, Southern Airways, or Williams Aerial, but I will now!

Williams Aerial has been in survey for awhile and they recently bought some if not all of Northern States Aviation's planes and are running it under the Ground Imaging part of their company so you might want to refer to that in your email. Best of luck! You're at kind of a slow time to find work, but come this spring a lot of jump pilot jobs will start opening up too. Being a fresh commercial pilot will hopefully be the hardest part of your career as far as finding work so if you can go out and get up to 500TT you'll easily triple if not quadruple the amount of jobs out there that will hire you and your job opportunities continue to increase on the way up to 135 IFR mins and ATP mins too.

Also you can look into JAV Imagery. I believe it's their second season as a Picto vendor and they do a lot of work up in Alaska in the summer months. They were on climbto350 awhile back, but all I found was the CPs linkedin when I googled for them and I'm not familiar with the site, but you might be able to get a hold of him through it. https://www.linkedin.com/in/dylan-skirko-b6394655

Thanks, always appreciative for more information. I was referring to Part 135 mins, but I have read some of those threads before I believe.

I sent resumes to Landcare Aviation, Air America, Northern States Aviation, and Keystone Aerial Survey about 3-4 weeks ago and only heard back from Northern States and Keystone. Keystone said they had a hard min of 350tt and Northern States said they didn't need pilots at this time.

I have not sent anything to Sandhills, Southern Airways, or Williams Aerial, but I will now!

Since many survey companies do most of their hiring around a certain time of year, you may not hear until they need to hire someone but you certainly could get a call even if you hadn't yet. I remember when applied to Air America I was invited to interview a little over 2 months later.

Thats good to know about the delayed response from Air America. I'll keep looking to hear something back from them over the next few weeks.

As for the Airman Trainee position at Air Wisconsin, that sounds incredible. I got on that right away this morning, although I worry I do not meet one of the requirements. They state that they want 500 hours unless you went to one of their participating flight schools. Myself coming from ATP Flight School I am not sure they are a partner school with Air Wisconsin. They list their partners at the bottom of the posting as ASU, UND, Liberty University, Embry-Riddle, Western Michigan, Fox Valley, and Aerosim Flight Academy. It is however most likely still worth applying to just in case.

Besides that, the posting is a little vague as to what the actual day to day of an Airman Trainee is. Are you building time in their planes as somewhat of a Junior First Officer? Still quite intrigued about the possible Air Wisconsin opportunity. Thanks for the info!

Back