Near miss at DCA this morning. Be careful out there.

I think the problem is in todays world anyone not caring or supporting any issue is instantly considered as an opponent, people just want to live their lives. They'll support their friends, but trying to force anyone to do anything is a bad road to travel and will lead to an opposite and equal reaction.

To take your thought a step further, I think it has become ok in our society to engage in group shaming of people who hold different beliefs. If you’re just angry with someone, i guess whatever, but at no point should anyone think this sort of approach will convince those people to change their minds. Which is probably the root of many of our collective political woes.

Why does the T-Rex have such short arms? You figure for a carnivore, it'd be handy to help separate flesh from bone and sinew — begs the question "Chicken wings, an impossible snack without the use of opposable thumbs?"
Easy, they evolved to use their heads as their hunting weapon. The arms were essentially vestigial at that point. The Abelisaurs of Gondwana did a very similar thing. One hypothesis as to why they didn’t eliminate the arms entirely is that apparently the shoulder blade helps anchor some of the neck muscles, which also would explain how in both highly derived tyrannosaurs and in abelisaurs the shoulder blades are ludicrously out of proportion to the arms. No, the real question is what is the deal with allosaurus arms? They’re big enough that they had to be costly to develop and maintain, but not really big enough to be useful for feeding as they can’t reach its mouth. On a related fun note, for another hypothesis on the function of abelisaur arms, see prehistoric planet.
4AC1F84A-EB50-47A7-B4DB-68C012D1B484.jpeg

To take your thought a step further, I think it has become ok in our society to engage in group shaming of people who hold different beliefs. If you’re just angry with someone, i guess whatever, but at no point should anyone think this sort of approach will convince those people to change their minds. Which is probably the root of many of our collective political woes.
Oh no, quite the opposite. We pretended that people who think the earth is flat and 6000 years old, that human caused climate change isn’t real, and that vaccines don’t work had valid points and let them into our mainstream discourse instead of laughing them out of the public eye.

Why does the T-Rex have such short arms? You figure for a carnivore, it'd be handy to help separate flesh from bone and sinew — begs the question "Chicken wings, an impossible snack without the use of opposable thumbs?"
I dunno, but all you made me think of is how awesome it would be if there were dinosaur sized chicken wings.

Oh no, quite the opposite. We pretended that people who think the earth is flat and 6000 years old, that human caused climate change isn’t real, and that vaccines don’t work had valid points and let them into our mainstream discourse instead of laughing them out of the public eye.

I’d agree this happens too. But only among morons. Still, I’m not sure that laughing people out of the public eye has the effect on those people that we think it does.

I was referring in that post to beliefs that are not contrary to fact or scientific evidence. Flat earthers can continue to be ridiculed

Last edited:
Hear, hear.

I’d agree this happens too. But only among morons. Still, I’m not sure that laughing people out of the public eye has the effect on those people that we think it does.

I was referring in that post to beliefs that are not contrary to fact or scientific evidence. Flat earthers can continue to be ridiculed
it's not about those people, it's about the gullible, flawed humans they interact with. it's how stupidity contages.

it's not about those people, it's about the gullible, flawed humans they interact with. it's how stupidity contages.

Yeah, obviously we have all seen that, and it is frustrating to me too. What I’m talking about is when there is an issue that doesn’t have a factual “right” answer. Take for example, student loan relief. There are legitimate arguments for and against. Some may not believe the counter-argument to their belief is legitimate, but that is really just their opinion. Perhaps there is a more “right” viewpoint, but in order to convince the opposing viewpoint, you cannot engage in shaming if you want results. I use that simply as an example, since it is a bit less hotly contested than some other things.

I think @JordanD is spot on and the whole thing was potentially staged. But if it wasn’t, it’s not necessarily just the guys attitude sucking that’s the issue.

That depends on how nice of a wheelchair you want to get the dog 7 years from now when its hind legs are messed up from degenerative myelopathy.

Dogs can be expensive AF.
We see a dog optometrist every 6 weeks....

This is the problem, you "pretended". When did you decide that anyone who disagrees with you on anything suddenly believes everything you hate? If I say climate change is real but question our actual impact on the natural cycles this planet has gone through for millions of years you'll compartmentalize me into a box with chem trail kooks and and flat earthers. I don't believe in either of those things but you're predisposed to discount my opinion about everything because we may not see eye to eye on climate change. I don't discount your opinion, but honestly I know most of it just BS you read online and parrot.

Back