Near miss at DCA this morning. Be careful out there.

Meh. I woulda asked for a number to give ‘em a spanking and then took off :)

The Delta Southwest RTO at MDW was far more scarier and louder than this. I wonder if either of those guys called quits and went to the hotel.
Hint: If you are going to use the construction "more scarier", please use "mo' scarier" or, better yet "mo' frightful" or "mo' scary" instead. "More scarier" makes me scared and frightful that my grandmother is going to spank me for not "talkin' good". One time, she threatened to send me to the Derek Zoolander skül. Yeah, I really do still have PTSD (post traumatic speech dysphoria) from that stuff.

A couple years ago, not willing to sleep in the terminal after a string of Delta delays and cancellations, I booked the best room at ATL, a Hertz mini-van rental. Hotels were all booked up and $75 seemed like a deal.

I slept like a baby.
Well played! Love it.

You would be an absolute moron to continue as would the union if they supported that decision because the liability is high AF.

I know, I know, it's fun to be contradictory.
He's never had a "oh •, this is really bad" much less a "so this is how it ends" experience and has no idea what he's talking about. As usual.

He's never had a "oh •, this is really bad" much less a "so this is how it ends" experience and has no idea what he's talking about. As usual.

None of us that wear a tie to work are dropping bombs, no 'time over target', we all have reserves sitting at the crash pad playing Fortnite getting paid and if the wife is mad because I'm a day late because of an operational decision I made because of prudence and safety, I'm sorry but I'm paid a lot of money to make proper but often unpopular and usually inconvenient decisions. :)

That would be incorrect.

I’ve shared a story in the past of losing one engine in a twin right after takeoff once when the gear had just come up and not enough runway left to put it back down. We were skimming trees at night time and it was ugly. Back in 2007.

That would be incorrect.

At some point you should consider why aviation is in such bind: A lack of mentorship.

Are you being a good mentor or example by pushing against the winds of good decision making by declaring that you're going to walk away from a high-stress, high-exposure event, down a Mountain Dew and press on? Does this set a good example?

Did the moron at UAL that had a passenger in a control seat AND FILMED IT have a deep pool of mentors or did she independently figure "oh, what's the big deal". If they didn't get busted, was that a professional example to the first officer who most likely has the seniority to bid captain and pass on that same observed professionalism?

Take responsibility.

You would be an absolute moron to continue as would the union if they supported that decision because the liability is high AF.

I know, I know, it's fun to be contradictory.

I just don’t buy that it is a clear cut decision. Every person is different. I won’t fault the person that calls it a day and goes to the hotel, but not do I fault the guy who says he’s all good and continues to fly.

None of us that wear a tie to work are dropping bombs, no 'time over target', we all have reserves sitting at the crash pad playing Fortnite getting paid and if the wife is mad because I'm a day late because of an operational decision I made because of prudence and safety, I'm sorry but I'm paid a lot of money to make proper but often unpopular and usually inconvenient decisions. :)
Damn right. And only someone who's experienced the adrenaline rush and eventual letdown understands that and the luxury (and safety) that affords.

They make a pill for that.
Can you tell me where to get those? Please do so right after you explain to me why we don't use easily available automation to protect surfaces from incursions at all those big-boy pants, real-hard Charlies and Bravos. Take your time. I'll stand by.

IMG_7334.gif

POV of said Crashpad pilot.

Yeah. Good for you. That's proper operational SA. Still, good luck with the wife part. I've found they really don't get it. Your "operational prudence" is their "Who are you sleeping with?"

I just don’t buy that it is a clear cut decision. Every person is different. I won’t fault the person that calls it a day and goes to the hotel, but not do I fault the guy who says he’s all good and continues to fly.

It's good to be able to see the future.

(BTW, there are often delayed responses/effects to high stress situations.)

It's good to be able to see the future.

(BTW, there are often delayed responses/effects to high stress situations.)
Right. So again, WHY, oh WHY do we not automate this function? Would save lives, time, and money.

Computers can't see the future either. But they tend to see the present and predict the future much more quickly and accurately than humans wandering about with sketchy comms.

Despite the fact I don't think you're nearly as tough as you want us to think you are, you're missing the bigger point- if ANYthing happens on that next flight you're going to be the one standing there in front of a lot of people that are looking for "probable cause" or "contributing factor".

Seriously?!?

'Mater, if there is ever any doubt in a multi-ton chunk of metal, the best option is almost always "to NOT to".

Last edited:
Back