Near miss at DCA this morning. Be careful out there.

So did you just like, wake up in a cold, dark shuttle parked in the back of the lot? Next driver show up and wonder why there is a body back there?

A couple years ago, not willing to sleep in the terminal after a string of Delta delays and cancellations, I booked the best room at ATL, a Hertz mini-van rental. Hotels were all booked up and $75 seemed like a deal.

I slept like a baby.

We all pretty much agree that the crew that flew the RTO should go back to the gate and call it a day. But what about the taxiing crew?

It’s close enough to BWI, so it’ll minimize passengers, but certainly return to the gate and get a fresh crew in there. There’s going to be some paperwork to do, and if it were me I’d be entirely distracted second guessing if I/ we screwed up which would compromise the safety of flight.

A couple years ago, not willing to sleep in the terminal after a string of Delta delays and cancellations, I booked the best room at ATL, a Hertz mini-van rental. Hotels were all booked up and $75 seemed like a deal.

I slept like a baby.

Adding this one to the toolkit. Brilliant.

Did you just sleep in it in the lot or drive it offsite and park?

Adding this one to the toolkit. Brilliant.

Did you just sleep in it in the lot or drive it offsite and park?

Drove it offsite for a beer and a bite and parked in the rental car return. Only had one knock from an eager lot guy. I asked if he was working until morning. He confirmed, and I said I was going to catch a nap before my delayed flight and gave him a $20, asking for a 6am wake up call. I was prepared for him to run me offsite.

He enjoyed his new found employment and I was not disturbed until 6am, when my own alarm rang.

It was 80 or 90 bucks well spent. Heck, I still would have been happy if I paid the min at long-term. This van was new and immaculate. Cleaner and fresher than any hotel. I think the last-minute rate for a crappy ATL hotel was over $250.

Drove it offsite for a beer and a bite and parked in the rental car return. Only had one knock from an eager lot guy. I asked if he was working until morning. He confirmed, and I said I was going to catch a nap before my delayed flight and gave him a $20, asking for a 6am wake up call. I was prepared for him to run me offsite.

He enjoyed his new found employment and I was not disturbed until 6am, when my own alarm rang.

It was 80 or 90 bucks well spent. Heck, I still would have been happy if I paid the min at long-term. This van was new and immaculate. Cleaner and fresher than any hotel. I think the last-minute rate for a crappy ATL hotel was over $250.

Another travel hack is using the Hipcamp App. If you are okay with car camping, you can find a safe cheap place to park with shower and bathroom facilities. Rates are $20+. I’ve done this a few times and had great experiences at some very cool properties.

Likewise, I’ve grabbed a long shower at a truck stop and grabbed a few hours sleep.

I’m not cheap, sometimes when I’m traveling I want a shower and safe place to grab a few hours of sleep.

I kid you not, my misses did the same thing to me…she knew I had a three leg day with quick turns in between each. Went to see a doggo at the humane society and every stop Id get a text to the effect of “OMG shes amazing. We really need to get her!”…me replying “No way! Dont even think about it, we cant afford a dog and dont have space..” Land back at base to “Shes home and shes perfect..”.

Said nothing, then drove home rehearsing my come to Jesus speech, complete with synchronized hand motions…got in the door, dog barked once, ran up for pets immediately after.

Shes now my baby…id mortgage the house and sleep in my car before she ever went without.

Yeah, if I’m shaking and uncontrollable, I’ll call out. Hasn’t happened. This does. It seem like one of those deals. They all stopped well before any “life flashed before me” moment.

I lost an engine in a light twin right after takeoff, which made for an interesting return at night time skimming tree tops. That sucked. Close call.

But after landing, I didn’t go to the hotel. The flight school flew a C172 to us, and I got in that thing back seat and flew back.
I'm willing to bet that you answer for your FO, too, and make the decisions for him/her.

"Yeah, WE'RE good to go."

"Sure, WE can extend."

"Hold on, he/she's right here."

Buncha internet warriors? No, I don’t talk like that.

Flew with a few CAs who would use that kinda language when I was a FO. I couldn’t have cared less. I did 11 yrs as a FO. Somehow we have become a society where feelings are above all else.

Let me guess, when you were a FO, a CA did that to you and you ended up offended. I don’t know what to say, except to grow up and out your man pants on.

That’s because you lack basic empathy for other human beings, and possess the emotional intelligence of a 6 year old.

No.

I’m dead center C in the DiSC Assessment.

I didn’t know him personally. What happened was tragic, I did my part to help, but he didn’t make it. The guy isn’t going to any less dead if I call out and go to the hotel.

You guys are all missing the point. CC isn’t like you or I. He’s the greatest pilot that has ever sat in the seat, and he’s happy to tell you so. He’s never made a mistake in an airplane, and he never will. Hell, he even passed all his writtens on the first try!

Emotional well being checks, and removing oneself from duty based on personal needs are for inferior pilots, not super pilots like CC!

You guys are all missing the point. CC isn’t like you or I. He’s the greatest pilot that has ever sat in the seat, and he’s happy to tell you so. He’s never made a mistake in an airplane, and he never will. Hell, he even passed all his writtens on the first try!

Emotional well being checks, and removing oneself from duty based on personal needs are for inferior pilots, not super pilots like CC!

You can’t make it through Jet U if you’re a softie

Happened today on shift was not my flight though. I'm glad both pilots had situational awareness to stop. Looks like just a cluster with all of those controllers, multiple frequencies and lack of situational awareness going on

View: https://youtu.be/yooJmu30DxY?si=leQgZk3Yw3C8nk0h
Jeebus! Two in two days! I think I'm never again departing or landing on any runway which is crossed by any taxiway or other runway. It's ECHO and DELTA for me boys!

Happened today on shift was not my flight though. I'm glad both pilots had situational awareness to stop. Looks like just a cluster with all of those controllers, multiple frequencies and lack of situational awareness going on

View: https://youtu.be/yooJmu30DxY?si=leQgZk3Yw3C8nk0h
WE HAVE AUTOMATION FOR THIS! Why are we still allowing overworked and overwhelmed fallible humans to keep massive, fast-moving chunks of metal from crossing the same pieces of pavement at the same times?!?

Seriously. Why??

Back