NAI is Approved

US Pilots to ask Trump to block Obama ruling on NAI.

A group of airline pilots will rally Tuesday outside the White House in hopes of getting President Trump to intervene on a ruling by the former Obama administration that they say could eliminate tens of thousands of U.S. airline jobs.

The group of roughly 100 Southwest Airlines and NetJets pilots will voice their opposition to a December 2 decision by the Transportation Department to allow Norwegian Air International to service the United States, arguing the airline can undercut labor costs because its headquarters is in Ireland.

Critics of that strategy call the business tactic a “flag of convenience scheme.”

Norwegian Air International is a subsidiary of low-cost European carrier Norwegian Air Shuttle, based in Norway.

“Even before President Trump was in office, we supported his pro-worker mantra,” Chip Hancock, a Southwest Airlines Pilots’ Association official, said Monday. “He’s looking out for American workers.”

He and Coley George, of NetJets Association of Shared Aircraft Pilots, said they were hearted by Trump on Monday -- the start of his first full week in office -- for getting the United States out the Obama-backed international trade deal known as the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

“Another bad trade deal approved by Obama,” George said.

The pilots and their unions have until January 29 to get Trump to stop the change.

Norwegian started asking to provide air service to the U.S. as far back as 2013, amid objections from airline carriers, unions and others that the change could undercut labor costs, safety regulations and domestic-airline ticket prices.

However, the agency gave final approval last month, saying it found no legal reason to reject Norwegian’s application.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...min-ruling-say-would-kill-thousands-jobs.html

You guys are something else. There were three threads on here where everyone complained about NAI and how terrible this was for your future, jobs, American carriers, safety, wages and on and on. Last May a couple hundred pilots rallied and picketed the White house to protest. They were there again in September and ignored by the President. Now, pilots are asking Trump to curtail Norwegian Air's expansion here and because a link was given to a media site that you don't like, you just respond like children. Amazing. Ignore the message and shoot the messenger, yet again.

Here's another source: http://www.investopedia.com/news/njasap-join-swapa-white-house-rally-luv/

and:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...to-undo-obama-executive-order/article/2612729

and:
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/white-house/article128306189.html

"A slew of labor unions representing some of America’s largest airlines, including North Texas-based Southwest and American, plan to picket the White House in hopes that a populist-oriented President Donald Trump will take their side in a dispute with a European rival.

The union for Southwest Airlines pilots will hold a rally on Tuesday in hopes of preventing Norwegian Air’s expansion in the United States. The unions argue Norwegian Air’s use of an Irish subsidiary will allow the company to skirt labor and safety regulations, and that Norwegian Air will hire cheaper Asian flight crews instead of Americans.

“Norwegian’s permit will go into full force on the 29th of January, so it’s easier to stop something before it starts,” said Chip Hancock, governmental affairs chairman with the Southwest Airlines Pilots’ Association. “We’re trying every avenue we can to raise the president’s awareness.”

But Norwegian Air’s planned expansion will provide additional competition in the transatlantic flight market, and could lead to lower prices for consumers seeking European travel. Norwegian Air has said that the expansion will result in 500 new jobs between New York and Fort Lauderdale, Florida, by the end of 2017.

“There is no validity whatsoever to our opponents’ claims that Norwegian’s expansion will lead to fewer American jobs as the real facts show the complete opposite,” Norwegian Air director of communications Anders Lindström said in a statement. “We have more U.S.-based cabin crew than any foreign airline, and we continue to create more American jobs than any foreign airline. This year alone, we will be the only foreign airline to recruit American pilots as we will open up several new pilot and cabin crew bases in the United States.”

The Obama administration approved Norwegian Air’s expansion in December, granting permission for the low-cost carrier to serve new transcontinental routes such as from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona, Spain.

But the opposition to the decision in Congress was bipartisan, as 175 members from both parties sponsored a bill last April condemning the decision, which was in the works for months.

The bill’s co-sponsors included Fort Worth, Texas-area Democrats Rep. Marc Veasey and Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson, whose district includes Southwest’s headquarters, and conservative Republicans like Rep. Roger Williams.

“I stand with the pilots and the flight attendants,” Veasey said in an interview with McClatchy. “They’re absolutely right, it would be a way to undercut safety, it would be a way to undercut wages and it would make workers here in the U.S. less competitive.”

The bill, sponsored by Oregon Democratic Rep. Peter DeFazio, never made it out of committee despite the bipartisan support.

Trump promised that adding American jobs would be a big part of his agenda as president, and he pushed Carrier Air Conditioners to keep jobs in Indiana after his election.

“We will bring back our jobs,” Trump said in his inaugural speech. “We will follow two simple rules: buy American and hire American.”

For the unions, Trump’s presidency gives a glimmer of hope that certain trade deals they deem bad for American workers will be overturned. On Monday, Trump signed an executive order withdrawing from Trans-Pacific Partnership trade negotiations.

Norwegian Air is “already flying here under Norwegian labor laws, so we welcome competition,” Hancock said. “Competition allowed Southwest to come in and outperform, but the idea of jumping ship from your home country to find the most lax labor laws and social laws on the planet” is bad for American jobs.

Hancock said that every long-haul flight that is canceled by an American airline “impacts 800 jobs directly or indirectly.”

Southwest employs nearly 10,000 people in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, making it the 15th largest employer in North Texas.

American Airlines, based in Fort Worth, employs around 27,000 people in North Texas. Unions representing the airline won’t officially be a part of Tuesday’s rally, but Hancock said he anticipates pilots from American showing up."

Last edited:
So, did anyone attend in support? How did it go?

I'm guessing this NAI thing is still a big deal?

Funny thing: I think a guy who owns numerous international hotels would be for loosening international airline trade barriers.

So, did anyone attend in support? How did it go?

I'm guessing this NAI thing is still a big deal?
Here are a couple of pics I found and an article......... Looks like it was just SWA and NetJets pilots. Couldn't find any other pilot groups there. One reports states that: "More than 140 pilots, flight attendants, and mechanics rallied in front of the White House." That's something at least.

IMG_1629

IMG_1632

WASHINGTON

Mike Panebianco is hoping for another Carrier deal, but he’ll settle for President Donald Trump’s signature instead of a made-for-TV spectacle.

Panebianco, a Dallas resident who’s a pilot for Southwest Airlines, was one of 130 pilots and airline employees lined up outside the White House on Tuesday to ask for Trump’s help in a long-running dispute with a European rival that they say will cost American jobs.

In December, the Obama administration granted Norwegian Air additional U.S. routes, giving consumers another low-cost option for trans-Atlantic travel. But the Scandinavian airline’s new routes will be licensed through an Irish subsidiary, a move the pilots say will lead to fewer safety regulations and cheap foreign labor.

“It’s not a red or blue issue,” said Panebianco, 46, who is the vice president of the Southwest Airlines Pilots’ Association. “It’s an issue that can be settled with Trump’s signature and an opportunity to support more American jobs.”

Tuesday’s rally wasn’t the first time various airlines have mobilized to oppose Norwegian Air’s expansion. But Trump’s election combined with a Jan. 29 deadline for the deal to go into effect spurred the pilots from Dallas to act.

Panebianco, a self-described “issues voter” who declined to say whether he’d voted for Trump, said the new president’s inaugural address and executive order withdrawing from Trans-Pacific Partnership negotiations signaled his commitment to American workers.

Norwegian Air argues it is creating American jobs through new routes and that more competition is good for consumers seeking low-cost flights.

“Norwegian had some 500 U.S.-based crew members by the end of 2016, and all U.S.-based pilots and crew are hired under local laws and regulations with competitive packages,” Norwegian Air director of communications Anders Lindstrom said in a statement. “In short, no other foreign airline invests more in the American economy or creates more American jobs than Norwegian. Sadly, their (unions’) members believe their leaders’ blatant lies, as do some politicians.”

Those politicians include 175 members of Congress from both parties who co-sponsored a bill last year that would negate the Obama administration’s decision to give Norwegian Air the permits. Supporters of the bill, which never made it out of committee, include Fort Worth, Texas-area Democrats Rep. Marc Veasey and Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson, whose district includes Southwest’s headquarters, and conservative Texas Republicans like Rep. Roger Williams of Austin.

“My first responsibility is to represent District 30, and I might not be as fair to others as possible in all cases,” Johnson said, acknowledging that a large employer in her district affected her decision-making. “I respect labor standards, and they’re not always upheld out of the country.”

Veasey also highlighted labor and safety standards as the reason behind his opposition to the deal.

“I stand with the pilots and the fight attendants,” Veasey said. “It would be a way to undercut safety. It would be a way to undercut wages and make workers here in the U.S. less competitive. In this disagreement they (the Trump administration) can step in and show this isn’t just a bunch of talk.”

Williams offered a practical reason for his opposition: He argued there is a finite number of gates at busy airports like Dallas/Fort Worth International and Love Field, where Southwest is based, and if Norwegian Air uses more gates then American airlines have less business.

“I get it. You’re talking about a guy who talks about competition all the time,” Williams said, referring to himself. “But goodness gracious . . . is there any more competition than what we’ve got going on between American and United and Delta? They’re competing against each other all the time.”

Chip Hancock, a Southwest pilot who’s government affairs chairman for the union, said the pilots had been in contact with members of the Trump transition team but that most of their lobbying efforts had been focused on Congress.

The Southwest pilots’ association gave $104,000 in campaign contributions to members of Congress last year, with 37 percent of that going to Democrats and 63 percent to Republicans, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, which tracks money in U.S. politics. Oregon Democratic Rep. Peter DeFazio, who sponsored the bill opposing the deal in Congress, received $6,000 from the union.

“I thought Ray and Foxx did pretty well, but they were constantly undercut or dictated to by the White House,” DeFazio said in December, speaking of former transportation secretaries Ray LaHood and Anthony Foxx. “But the one thing which I don’t know who is responsible for, which is the last most disastrous thing done by this administration, is to start a race to the bottom in aviation by approving a virtual airline – NAI – to provide service to the United States using contract crews from Asia.”

Foxx, who recently left his post after Obama’s tenure ended, expressed reservations on the deal approved by his boss.

“We occasionally have to make tough decisions, sometimes tough decisions even I struggle with,” Foxx said in an interview with McClatchy last week. “That’s a situation that’s now being legally contested by the Air Line Pilots Association, so I probably have to be careful what I say about it other than there’s a reason why that decision took such a long time. That’s because I was wrestling with issues on both sides of it.”

Trump’s potential incoming transportation secretary, Elaine Chao, declined to offer a position on the issue during Senate hearings earlier this month.

A spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Southwest employs nearly 10,000 people in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, making it the 15th largest employer in North Texas.

American Airlines, based in Fort Worth, employs around 27,000 people in North Texas, making it the second-largest employer in the area. Unions representing American Airlines employees also oppose the deal but were not present on Tuesday.

Johnson, who has been in Congress since 1993, said she had no idea how Trump would react to pressure from labor organizations, who support Trump’s opposition of trade deals but traditionally back Democrats.

“I don’t know what’s going on his mind,” Johnson said with a laugh. “I knew Clinton, Bush and Obama a whole lot better than I know Trump. I have to observe him a little longer and build some kind of open communication.”

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story provided the incorrect year for the bill intended to block the Norwegian Air decision. The bill was drafted and brought to committee in 2016.

C29oL_RVQAA7cOB.jpg:large

C29NVQWWIAAGIjZ.jpg:large

Last edited:
Here are a couple of pics I found and an article......... Looks like it was just SWA and NetJets pilots. Couldn't find any other pilots groups there. One reports states that: "More than 140 pilots, flight attendants, and mechanics rallied in front of the White House." That's something at least.

After all the "Call to Action" thread here and the posts within of the doom and gloom of this, I would've thought there'd have been more pilot group representation in attendance. Unless they're having a separate event or doing something different......

After all the "Call to Action" thread here and the posts within of the doom and gloom of this, I would've thought there'd have been more pilot group representation in attendance. Unless they're having a separate event or doing something different......
I never hear about any of this stuff until after it happens.

I am surprised too. In all the news articles that I could find when it was announced that pilots would be having the rally, it never stated which specific groups at all, so I got the impression there would be guys and gals from all of the majors and I expected some ALPA representation as well. So all I can think of now by seeing that it was just SWA and NetJets, it must have been something that just those two groups put together. With a new President in office though, and the pledge to keep jobs in America and protect/promote the American workers, it certainly would have had a greater impact if all the unions and US carriers had showed up like they did last year.

At least something is happen. O.K, it smells a little bit bad but it sounds funny.....

http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2017/January/26/NorAir_SWF_FAA-26Jan17.html
NEW WINDSOR - Norwegian Airlines would like to officially announce it service between Stewart Airport and European destinations and start selling tickets, but it cannot do that until it has FAA approval.

“The Federal Aviation Administration is still reviewing Norwegian Airlines’ Part 129 application,” an FAA spokesman told Mid-Hudson News.........

Not to poke the hornet's nest (but yeah to poke the hornet's nest) I can't help but notice a number of the protestors here against NAI are all for allowing anyone else in the country. So it's ok to let anyone into the country no matter what, here legal or illegal as long as they are not taking a pilot job. Anyone else confused by this?

Back