NAI is Approved

The Juice

http://www.thestreet.com/story/1353...r-path-for-new-transatlantic-competition.html

The U.S. Department of Transportation on Friday dealt a blow to domestic airlines, granting tentative approval to a plan by Norwegian Air International to serve the U.S. after more than two years of debate over the discounter's plan.

The regulator, in a statement, said that Norwegian "appears to meet DOT's normal standards for award of a permit and that there appears to be no legal basis to deny NAI's application." The department invited comments within 21 days from those who object, and is sure to hear from plenty in the U.S. airline industry who have warned that granting the Norwegian airline's application would create a "race to the bottom" in transatlantic flying similar to the havoc discounters caused in the U.S. following deregulation.

Norwegian Air first applied for a foreign air carrier permit in 2013 for a subsidiary based in Dublin, hopeful of taking advantage of the European Union's liberal airline treaty with the U.S. to operate discount service across the Atlantic. The plan was controversial from the start due to Norwegian's attempt to locate the unit outside of its home territory, and because the concept posed a threat to traditional transatlantic operations.

A unit of the AFL-CIO quickly blasted the decision Friday, calling the application "a job-killing flag-of-convenience airline that perverts the transatlantic airline market and violates our nation's aviation trade agreement."

While the immediate impact of the ruling is expected to be muted as Norwegian slowly builds up a modest schedule, the long-term implications for U.S. carriers could be troubling. U.S. airlines in the years since deregulation have relied on international service, which faces less discounter competition, to offset margin erosion on domestic flights.

Shares of Delta Air Lines (DAL - Get Report) , United Continental Holdings (UAL - Get Report) and American Airlines (AAL - Get Report) traded down modestly Friday afternoon.

The extent of the damage an upstart like Norwegian can do is a matter of debate. Companies like Southwest Airlines (LUV - Get Report) in the U.S. and Ryanair (RYAAY - Get Report) in Europe have established that discounters can soak up travel growth that might otherwise go to incumbents by offering vacationers lower fares and make at least some gains among business travelers. But large corporate contracts that are the most lucrative for airlines have largely stayed with the legacies because of their greater reach and more flexible schedules.

Skeptics will also note that Norwegian is far from the only threat the airlines face on international routes, noting the rapid growth in Gulf State carriers including Etihad Airways, Emirates Airline and Qatar Airways.

Airline bulls argue that the recent round of consolidation in the U.S. has strengthened balance sheets and cut into competition at home, making domestic flying more lucrative than it once was and better preparing the airlines for upcoming international skirmishes. The routes that Norwegian will attack will likely be high-volume ones that are already the subject of intense competition between the incumbents, likely limiting damages to margins.

In the near term, domestic airlines could actually be helped by a commodity trend that usually works against the industry. Barclays analyst David E. Fintzen in a note Friday said that higher fuel prices could be a near-term catalyst for the industry if it reassures investors that companies will not make short-sighted decisions to increase capacity.

Fintzen said that airlines have been "surprisingly rational" during this period of low-fuel costs, but fears remain.

"The reality of slow economic growth, low oil and (the resulting) higher aircraft utilization means fares go down even as margins go up," the analyst wrote. "If oil prices do move higher, we think that pricing pressures reverse, and suspect the market could put a disproportionally higher multiple on lower earnings."

Poor all of us if this scheme goes through.

Let us hope the next 20 days are successful in shutting this down, again.
What's the best way to voice one's disapproval of this potential disaster? Same as last time?

Uhh, if you're celebrating a tentative approval of their application moving forward in some sort of light of political expedience, I'd suggest a coloring book when you're bored.

NAI is bad news man.

Where did I celebrate anything or suggest I support NAI?

I have followed through with every Call to Action my union has sent me and have always expressed my objection to the DOT granting their certificate to operate under their sham FOC proposal.

Coloring book...cute.....I get it...try to rise above the insults while our industry is under attack.

Poor Seggy is trying to juggle his hatred with NAI against his love for Obama and his Administration.

That was my interpretation from the above, but if I misinterpreted that, first apology beer is on me.

However, on the topic, fights on folks. 20 days.

Is there an avenue that ordinary folks can submit comments? Or is it time to grab the stationery and go old fashioned?
Contact your congressional representative and let them know that you are a constituent that will be gravely hurt by this decision.

April 15, 2016

Fellow ALPA Members,

Today we learned of the U.S. Department of Transportation’s tentative decision to approve Norwegian Air International’s (NAI) application to fly to and from the United States. To say that I am disappointed is an enormous understatement.

I am in absolute disbelief that our own government could fathom a decision that is clearly in opposition to fair competition and instead actually supports a “flag of convenience” business model. With this decision, NAI gains an enormous unfair competitive advantage over U.S. and European airlines, which are required to do business under a different set of social contracts. This approval actively works against U.S. aviation workers. This is yet another troubling instance that demonstrates the failure of our trade agreements to safeguard American workers.

Today’s short-sighted decision is bad news for the long-term future of U.S. aviation as it sets a precedent for other airlines to follow suit using similar unfair business tactics to gain an advantage. In NAI’s case, it will be permitted to compete directly with U.S. airlines on long-haul flights with their convoluted business scheme that directly contradicts the intent of the U.S.–EU Air Transport Agreement. That agreement is designed to deter efforts to undermine labor standards – and yet, NAI gets a stamp of U.S. DOT approval.

In the height of ALPA’s campaign, we garnered overwhelming support to deny NAI’s application with more than 200 Members of Congress going on record in opposition as well as thousands of members of the public who signed our petition. This decision dismisses the will of Congress and the American public.

ALPA is currently hosting the 71st annual conference of the International Federation of Air Line Pilots Associations. The discussion here at IFALPA – with our international union counterparts who are also impacted by this decision – is also one of disbelief. But it has hardened our collective resolve to advocate for a level playing field around the globe.

ALPA will ask the DOT to revise its tentative decision and to deny NAI’s application for a foreign air carrier permit – and we will need your help. Look for a Call to Action and other initiatives soon. You’ve demonstrated in the past that when called upon, you act without hesitation. We all know what is on the line if we don’t act with a loud, collective voice. I thank you for your continued support.

canoll-signature.gif

Capt. Tim Canoll

Fantastic letter that really speaks to the heart of the issue.

So how is NAI any different than British Airways, Air France, Lufthansa, et al?

Back