NAI is Approved

So, hypothetically, never mind the flag of convenience is their business model aspect, but assuming they shored that up and just paid their pilots the same amount they currently do, would there be an issue?

Or is this more of a protect the homeland and its businesses type thing? I rewatched the ALPA video about it the other day, to be perfectly honest I had forgotten a lot of the details and wanted to refresh myself on it.

So, hypothetically, never mind the flag of convenience is their business model aspect, but assuming they shored that up and just paid their pilots the same amount they currently do, would there be an issue?

Or is this more of a protect the homeland and its businesses type thing? I rewatched the ALPA video about it the other day, to be perfectly honest I had forgotten a lot of the details and wanted to refresh myself on it.
If it's done under the flag of convenience business model then yes, because the camel's nose will be in the tent so to speak. Not many people paid much attention to the RJ when it first came around either because it wasn't wide spread at first.

The other issue beyond the pay is that company based in a non EU country (Norway) are using a certificate from an EU country (Ireland) in order to get rights to fly EU-US routes while having no actual operations in the country that they are certified in. In theory, one of the ME3 could do the same thing by registering a certificate (or more likely just buying a struggling airline) in the EU somewhere and then get pretty much unlimited access to the EU-US market.

ALPA members - please log in to alpa.org and complete the Call 2 Action on the bottom right. The form letter (or your own if you choose) goes to your District's Representative in the House, your Senators, President Obama, and Transportation Secretary Fox. This process takes less time than posting on JC.

If you have Twitter... Retweet this https://twitter.com/wearealpa/status/721003489430740994

Review ALPA.org advocacy page: http://www.alpa.org/en/advocacy/flag-of-convenience

See the press release: http://www.alpa.org/news-and-events...ir-decision-exposes-flawed-US-aviation-policy

It's our career! Be involved.

Please tell me you are joking.
That's low for the airplane, but the pilot is hardly in the poor house. I know a few regional pilots that would jump at the opportunity to fly something bigger for a much larger pay check than they make at their current place.

I understand the problems with their tactics and that is bothersome, but lots of people just want to pay the bills.

I'm not one of them, I'd sooner get out of the industry altogether

That's low for the airplane, but the pilot is hardly in the poor house. I know a few regional pilots that would jump at the opportunity to fly something bigger for a much larger pay check than they make at their current place.

I understand the problems with their tactics and that is bothersome, but lots of people just want to pay the bills.

That's the wrong way to look at it.

Oh, snap! I'll be sure to ask for your opinion next time to make sure any attempt at levity is correctly placed.

-Fox
giphy.gif

To make this serious levity (the best kind): Someone, somewhere, is going to do it.

We may not like it, but someone, somewhere, is going to do it. (That's what happens when you create a job - someone, somewhere, is going to do it.)

Uh... what? You've been non-union way too long dude. Disappointing.

Guys fight to improve your pay and benefits, and you think that a joke about working at a flag-of-convenience carrier is appropriate???

Uh... what? You've been non-union way too long dude. Disappointing.

Guys fight to improve your pay and benefits, and you think that a joke about working at a flag-of-convenience carrier is appropriate???
-shrugs-

Again, someone is going to do it. I don't know how to stop that. Do I think they have any business in our skies? You bet not.

Back