My FBO rant

I don't think OP meant it that way either. And true that a good pilot is always learning.

I look for ways to improve each flight, a little smoother or cleaner.
I have yet to have a 100% perfect flight in my short career thus far.

Every FBO I ever go to, I call and ask these three questions: "Do you guys have a ramp fee? Can it be waived if we buy a certain amount of fuel? Do you guys have a courtesy car?"

I've avoided some less than desirable FBOs simply by calling ahead and asking. I've also found some really awesome FBO service. A lot of the FBOs we fly into regularly especially over at DAL, they treat our school really well. Shout out to Business Jet Center at DAL. You guys are awesome!

Every pilot is a full-time student of aviation. I learn something new everyday I go to work and will never come anywhere near knowing it all (actually, I don't know my own ass from a hole in the ground :D). That being said, I don't think the op's wording was correct when he stated he was a "student pilot" given that student pilot typically implies a level of FAA certificate.

Like I was explaining......flight student or student of flight; versus student pilot.

Keep in mind, this is my freight dog list.

Barker in KLRD
+1
Also great:
Guardian - KONT
Wilson - KMEM
Shell - CYYT

Landmark at KADS was great before they shutdown and consolidated at KDAL.

Worst, by far:
Delta Private Jets - KCVG

When I fly GA I expect to pay something everywhere I go, especially if I don't take fuel. I don't find $10-50 at all unreasonable depending on airport size.

Last edited:
I seem to have the vast amount of subpar experiences at landmarks. Not all of them, but certainly more than you would think from a large chain like that. Wilson and Millionaire are by far my favorites.

Both instrument pilots. We were time building for commercial. That's how aviator college does it.
I did the aviator back in 2007. Did you go there ? think the farthest we made was southern Georgia and back. St simon island was awesome too.m I remember Gainesville being friendly but Tallahassee not being friendly.

I did the aviator back in 2007. Did you go there ? think the farthest we made was southern Georgia and back. St simon island was awesome too.m I remember Gainesville being friendly but Tallahassee not being friendly.
Yes. I flew to Savannah a few times. Actually lost a mag there in the duchess and had to stay the night. Jekyll island was pretty cool too. Tiny little airport with some little dune buggy things to rent! I enjoyed my time building. A lot of great places throughout Florida. Loved the keys.

FBOs that have been terrible almost without exception regardless of location - Millionaire and Signature.

Atlantic has more than gone out of their way for me and so has the Denver Jet Center in Centennial.

I would not even go to an airport if the only FBO was Millionaire.

If you get morally outraged with exorbitant fees in aviation, you're going to have a LONG FRUSTRATED career.

Lighten up Francis. Eat the cookies, drink the coffee, leave a mess of spilled popcorn in the recliner while you watch "storage wars" in the lounge; then go punch a grumpy in the crew lounge crapper.

You weren't a student pilot, just a neophyte getting his cherry busted.

The
FBOs are like golf pro shops. Everyone is either super nice or a complete ass - no in between.
same can be said for the world of motocross racing and the aviation profession as well... either the coolest people you've ever met, or the biggest dbags. No in between.

I always specifically ask if there are fees. The vast majority of they time, they ask for the type and when I say 172 they say "Don't worry about it". Some gorgeous huge FBOs have been super friendly and let me use their car and services for nothing, and I'm very respectful when I'm there. On the other hand, I've been to class D FBO's that charge $30-40 to park, but when I need a crew car, I have no choice. I'll fork over the money without a fuss, but I'm walking out with sodas.

A $50 fee seems really steep for a piston, and I agree that the person probably could have been cool and just waived the fee given the situation like so many have done for me. However, if you don't ASK for a fee, you can't be surprised to encounter one.

We used Atlantic at Jackson recently. They wouldn't waive the ramp fee and the fuel price was high. Calling in advance I declined their offer to reserve a car through Enterprise (they quoted a rate 3x the street rate), yet the car was there when we arrived so I had to explain to someone else why I didn't want it. But the rampers were nice and efficient.

Home strip FTW. Free day parking, $7 per night. Use the bathroom, take the airport truck, grab a 50 cent soda from the fridge. If you're here on Saturday, have a $4 hamburger lunch. Thanks for coming by.

Back