My FBO rant

Then you say you hope they fail as a business? Just sounds like a whiny student that has never been to an FBO before.

I'm sure you're a good dude, so not trying to put you down, but just man up and pay the fee!

Couple things;

The $50 directly changed my bosses choice of FBOs. He operates a large company that bought close to 70% of its fuel from this particular chain of FBOs. Having an attitude of "oh ones persons business won't kill me" is a huge mistake in business. So when you say "what will your $50 fee do exponentially to their company? Uh, nothing", you obviously do not understand how a business operates.

I never said I hope they fail as a business...not sure where you got that.

I'm not a whiny student who has never been to an FBO. Prior to flight school I worked at two different FBOs.

Last, I did "man up and pay the fee". I expressed my displeasure, but was NOT whiny or begging! If you didn't notice...this happened over a year ago and I am just now writing them. So if I was just being a whiny student I would have complained sooner and tried to get my money back.

You guys are missing the point. It's not the fee that I'm ranting about! It's the fact that general aviation is dying and FBOs do not bother to help. Charging the owner of a G5 a ramp fee is part of business. But NOT cutting slack to the little guy is just being a (explicit).

I want to reiterate, this was NOT a large international airport. The airport itself does NOT induce landing fees and is covered by the governments "small airport/GA grants". Whatever they are...

I am not complaining to get anything. I am not complaining just to do it. I'm making a point that you should be careful how you treat people. You never know if they will take big business somewhere else.

What FBOs are considered the good ones?

The ones that don't rape and pillage! Also, the ones that tell you about fees before you land and park when you call. I hated going to LAS. They charge ridiculous prices for avgas, and stupid high ramp fees.

jgheggie said:
I totally understand. But a few things to point out. 1) the lady did NOT mention it when I called. 2) it was a class "D" airport, not entirely a major airport. 3) the other FBO on the field did not charge. I understand they have to make money. But somethings you just gotta let go. I test drove a new car today, considering a purchase. Could you imagine if the car lot charged me $10 for the test drive to "cover their insurance"?
Thats probably because it's assumed that there will be a ramp/landing fee at large airports.

Couple things;

The $50 directly changed my bosses choice of FBOs. He operates a large company that bought close to 70% of its fuel from this particular chain of FBOs. Having an attitude of "oh ones persons business won't kill me" is a huge mistake in business. So when you say "what will your $50 fee do exponentially to their company? Uh, nothing", you obviously do not understand how a business operates.

I never said I hope they fail as a business...not sure where you got that.

I'm not a whiny student who has never been to an FBO. Prior to flight school I worked at two different FBOs.

Last, I did "man up and pay the fee". I expressed my displeasure, but was NOT whiny or begging! If you didn't notice...this happened over a year ago and I am just now writing them. So if I was just being a whiny student I would have complained sooner and tried to get my money back.

You guys are missing the point. It's not the fee that I'm ranting about! It's the fact that general aviation is dying and FBOs do not bother to help. Charging the owner of a G5 a ramp fee is part of business. But NOT cutting slack to the little guy is just being a (explicit).

I want to reiterate, this was NOT a large international airport. The airport itself does NOT induce landing fees and is covered by the governments "small airport/GA grants". Whatever they are...

I am not complaining to get anything. I am not complaining just to do it. I'm making a point that you should be careful how you treat people. You never know if they will take big business somewhere else.

Well, I apologize if I did not get your point initially Jgheggie. I agree with you one persons business can affect it as a whole. My B. Just, all the dialogue between you, the CSR and the line guy makes it sound a little "whiny." And look, its probably just me but when its within a business right to charge something like a landing fee because they are business in fact (and you being the business expert must understand that), I just suck it up and dont care really. And if you think that part of the reason why GA is dying is because "FBO's do not bother to help," then just realize that new 172's are 400 grand and av-gas dolla dolla billz.

FBO's who don't treat all customers equally are businesses that should be avoided, wherever possible. Some of them do very much try to price the "little guys" off the field because a shiny jeeeet looks better on their ramp than a small piston. What they fail to realize is that things like a parking lot are the cost of doing business, you don't see McDonald's or Wal-Mart or gas stations charging people to park and use their restrooms. Voting with your wallet will go a long way to solving the problem.

FBO's who don't treat all customers equally are businesses that should be avoided, wherever possible. Some of them do very much try to price the "little guys" off the field because a shiny jeeeet looks better on their ramp than a small piston. What they fail to realize is that things like a parking lot are the cost of doing business, you don't see McDonald's or Wal-Mart or gas stations charging people to park and use their restrooms. Voting with your wallet will go a long way to solving the problem.
It's really true.

I'd rather go to the mom-and-pop places most of the time anyway...assuming I can find one.

Gotta pay to play.

Also true.

Keep in mind, this is my freight dog list.

Barker in KLRD
Wilsonair KHOU
CFM in KMQY
Harrison KGKY
Grand Aire KTOL

My list of bad ones is far larger than my list of good ones.

But here are my personal favorites:
*Millionaire SUS (and most Millionaire)
*Wilsonair CLT
*The FBO in Sugarland, TX with massage chairs
...I'm sure there are a few others but those are my favorites.

I may have an ATP but I'm a pilot at the student level. At best.

Look, I know you're new to the Gulfstream 550 and you're trying to keep humble about that; but you don't need to hammer yourself this hard now......

I may have an ATP but I'm a pilot at the student level. At best.
Every pilot is a full-time student of aviation. I learn something new everyday I go to work and will never come anywhere near knowing it all (actually, I don't know my own ass from a hole in the ground :D). That being said, I don't think the op's wording was correct when he stated he was a "student pilot" given that student pilot typically implies a level of FAA certificate.

Every pilot is a full-time student of aviation. I learn something new everyday I go to work and will never come anywhere near knowing it all (actually, I don't know my own ass from a hole in the ground :D). That being said, I don't think the op's wording was correct when he stated he was a "student pilot" given that student pilot typically implies a level of FAA certificate.
I don't think OP meant it that way either. And true that a good pilot is always learning.

I look for ways to improve each flight, a little smoother or cleaner.

list of bad ones is far larger than my list of googgoo ones.

But here are my personal favorites:
*Millionaire SUS (and most Millionaire)
*Wilsonair CLT
*The FBO in Sugarland, TX with massage chairs
...I'm sure there are a few others but those are my favorites.
Millionaire is awesome (especially Millionaire TUS). Nice facilities go a long way when a big part of my job is sitting around waiting for
the boss to finish his big, important meetings. I've also found Cutter Aviation to be pretty good (I've used Cutter in ABQ, ELP, DVT, and PHX). Now Atlantic....not so much.

Back