My FBO rant

jgheggie

Dear "$$$$$$$air",

I have recently been thinking about my first (and probably only) experience at one of your FBOs. When thinking about this experience, I could not help but think about the amount of business your company may lose throughout my (hopefully long) aviation career.

Here's why;

About a year and a half ago I was a newly minted instrument rated pilot. The flight program I was attending called for a commercial time build in which another student and myself would fly all over gaining hours and experience. During this time, we visited quite a few different FBOs ranging from 'mom and pop' places, to the luxurious 'big name' FBOs such as yours. Our experience was mostly the same throughout the various FBOs. They were all friendly and helpful. Most would welcome us not only to their FBO, but into the world of aviation as new pilots.

One particular day, we chose one of your FBOs in south Florida as a quick restroom break on a time building flight. I did the usual homework, and called ahead. Your receptionist was friendly and told me that a quick restroom break was not a problem. We proceeded to fly to the destination. When we landed, we taxied to the transient parking section of your FBO as advised by the receptionist on the phone. Upon parking, a line guy walked up and asked if we needed any fuel. I said, "no thanks, just a quick restroom break." He replied, "no problem, let me know if you need anything." Normal, friendly, welcoming. We entered the FBO and I walked up to the desk. I asked the receptionist if she is the one I spoke to on the phone. She said, "yes, how was your flight?" I said, "great! Thanks."

My partner and I used the restroom and proceeded to walk out. When we reached the door it was locked. So I waved to the receptionist and said, "have a good day," hoping she would see us and open the door. She then advised us of the landing fee of $50. I was completely surprised and asked her what the fee was for. She informed me that any aircraft that parks on their ramp pays a $50 landing fee. My partner and I (broke student pilots) pleaded with her to waive the fee. I explained that she did not mention the fee on the phone. I even mentioned that the line guy did not advise us of the fee. I argued that we simply used the restroom. We did not use the pool table, eat the cookies, drink the soft drinks, or even use the computers to flight plan. Although I was highly irritated and surprised, I decided to pay the fee and just leave.

So why am I bringing it up a year and half later?

Well, the gentleman I now work for operates an air ambulance company. He has given me the task of assisting his dispatch with the flight planning, hotel/car reservations, and FBO reservation. One day he told me "$$$$$$$air" is on the field we are going, and to call ahead to make sure we can have a fuel truck standing by. I then told him the above story. He was outraged!! He operates a flight school and is a huge advocate for growing general aviation among young aviators. He asked me if I would go to your FBO if it were my money and my flight. I said, "honestly, no." So he said, "then neither will I."

I'm not asking for my money back in any way. I'm not asking for an apology. I understand it was your policy. I was respectful and paid. However, I do want to bring to light that the decision to charge $50 to minuscule student time builders, has subsequently cost your company a large amount of business.

As a company whose success is built primarily on the business of private and corporate aviation, it is saddening to think that your company is discouraging young aviators from general aviation. These young aviators will undoubtedly be the future of aviation some day. When these student pilots get to the point of making fuel and FBO decisions, why would they choose an FBO that did not cut them slack when they were "broke time builders"? I do not think they will. I did not.

The other FBOs that have landing fees would waive them for us student pilots. I figure it was a business move. Knowing that we may someday end up with a corporate fuel card and looking for an FBO to fill up with, they treated us with high regard.

So in conclusion;

What has/will that $50 exponentially cost your company? You do the math.

Sincerely,

The guy making FBO decisions for a large part 135 air ambulance/corporate flight department.

Was it a ramp fee or landing fee? How big was the airport?
Good point! Actually, the lady stated several times that it was an airport landing fee. We called the other FBO on the field and they DO NOT charge. We then called the airport mangers office, they said they do not require the FBO to charge the landing fee and that the airport gets "general aviation" funding for that reason.

Both instrument pilots. We were time building for commercial. That's how aviator college does it.
My partner and I (broke student pilots) pleaded with her to waive the fee. I explained that she did not mention the fee on the phone.
The other FBOs that have landing fees would waive them for us student pilots.
I was, understandably, confused.

Surprisingly, signature is one of the ones that waives fees for the students. At least the one we flew to. I believe Tampa??

I understand your plight, I really do. But you also got taught a lesson, and it cost $50 for tuition. You really can not expect to land at a major airport in anything, park on a ramp, and not pay anything. It *never* happens. They have costs, and expect users to pay. Even if you did not use *anything*. They paid insurance coverage to park you. If the golf cart hit the plane, you would have expected them to pay right?

Just playing devils advocate. 'Aint nothing free, and that goes double for asphalt at a major airport.

I understand your plight, I really do. But you also got taught a lesson, and it cost $50 for tuition. You really can not expect to land at a major airport in anything, park on a ramp, and not pay anything. It *never* happens. They have costs, and expect users to pay. Even if you did not use *anything*. They paid insurance coverage to park you. If the golf cart hit the plane, you would have expected them to pay right?

Just playing devils advocate. 'Aint nothing free, and that goes double for asphalt at a major airport.

It happens very often.

I totally understand.

But a few things to point out.

1) the lady did NOT mention it when I called.
2) it was a class "D" airport, not entirely a major airport.
3) the other FBO on the field did not charge.

I understand they have to make money. But somethings you just gotta let go.

I test drove a new car today, considering a purchase. Could you imagine if the car lot charged me $10 for the test drive to "cover their insurance"?

Back