Moxy and 60 A220s

bimmerphile

Sidestick Wiggler
Moxy appears to have committed to 60 A220s.
Future U.S. airline signs commitment for 60 A220-300 aircraft

A new U.S. airline start-up announced a commitment today for 60 Airbus A220-300 aircraft, with deliveries beginning in 2021. The Memorandum of Understanding was revealed at the Farnborough Air Show. This new airline is backed up by a group of experienced investors led by David Neeleman, founder of JetBlue, investor in TAP in Portugal and controlling shareholder in Azul airlines in Brazil.

“After years of U.S. airline consolidation, the conditions are improving for a new generation of U.S. airline to emerge, focused on passenger service and satisfaction,” said David Neeleman, majority investor in the new venture. “The A220 will enable us to serve thinner routes in comfort without compromising cost, especially on longer-range missions. With deliveries starting in 2021, we will have ample time to assemble a world-class management team and another winning business model.”

“This U.S. airline startup’s decision for the A220 as the platform on which to launch their new business model is a testament to the passenger appeal and operating economics of this outstanding aircraft,” said Eric Schulz, Chief Commercial Officer for Airbus. “This commitment confirms the important role the A220 aircraft now occupies in our Airbus single-aisle portfolio.”

Complementing the A320 Family, the A220-100 and A220-300 models cover the segment between 100 and 150 seats and offer a comfortable five-abreast cabin. With the most advanced aerodynamics, CFRP materials, high-bypass engines and fly-by-wire controls, the A220 delivers 20 percent lower fuel burn per seat compared with previous generation aircraft. The type will serve a worldwide market for smaller single-aisle airliners, estimated at at least 7,000 such aircraft over the next 20 years. Airbus markets and supports the A220 aircraft, which is manufactured under the recently finalized partnership agreement between Airbus, Bombardier & Investment Québec.

The A220-300 will be powered by Pratt & Whitney GTF engines

So what is the opinion of our peanut gallery of experts? Seems like this could be a bit more fun to watch than recent past start-ups.

Anytime I hear this, I really want to throw a rock at the persons head. I WANT TO THROW A ROCK AT YOUR HEAD!!
But if you get in the initial cadre, you’d be known as an initial cadre pilot for the lifetime of that airline. Initial cadre means a great deal to those in the initial cadre. But you wouldn’t know that unless you’ve ever been in the initial cadre, so I understand why you may feel the way you do about “initial cadre”.

Last edited:
But if you get in the initial cadre, you’d be know as an initial cadre pilot for the lifetime of that airline. Initial cadre means a great deal to those in the initial cadre. But you wouldn’t know that unless you’ve ever been in the initial cadre, so I understand why you may feel the way you do about “initial cadre”.

1233602591_8b9ed8e741_b.jpg

I'm guessing airbus gave a pretty good discount on them at Farnborough. Odd that JB ordered the exact same number.

Maybe they'll find a niche getting RJ guys without a degree/that haven't gotten their golden ticket for a legacy interview. Going to be interesting to see how they staff

But if you get in the initial cadre, you’d be known as an initial cadre pilot for the lifetime of that airline. Initial cadre means a great deal to those in the initial cadre. But you wouldn’t know that unless you’ve ever been in the initial cadre, so I understand why you may feel the way you do about “initial cadre”.
Will there be a challenge coin?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I'm guessing airbus gave a pretty good discount on them at Farnborough. Odd that JB ordered the exact same number.

Maybe they'll find a niche getting RJ guys without a degree/that haven't gotten their golden ticket for a legacy interview. Going to be interesting to see how they staff

JB has 60 E190s currently.....Management has been saying all along this order is to replace those aircraft which will be retired. I would have guessed an order of about 60.

Translation: “Now that the airlines are actually profitable again, let’s try to ruin it all with a new batch of bargain basement discounters!”

Bring back regulation.

Because only those currently in the industry are entitled to share the spoils?

The regulatory barriers already are high, he's clearly one of the only men capable and willing in the world to make an attempt. It's gov'ts role to try to discourage even him to protect multi billion dollar AA and Southernjets?

Because only those currently in the industry are entitled to share the spoils?

Deregulation has been a massive failure. People despise air travel. The product has been reduced to the lowest common denominator. Under the CAB, there were still plenty of airlines competing for routes, but they were competing based upon price and service. Couldn’t provide good service? The CAB wouldn’t award you the route. There were no fare wars. It was a stable environment.

Back