Most "B.A." Airplane - Part III - Civilian Prop

The Hughes H-1:

Fast, revolutionary when introduced, and offered to the US Government for study on building pursuit ships. They declined, however the Japanese borrowed heavily from this to create the Zero.

HughesH-1.jpg

I am coming close to declaring myself the winner of this category. I developed my own scoring system, and surprisingly enough, I am in the lead by a wide margin. Scoring system is as follows: One point given to displacement (in Cubic Inches), one point given for Horsepower, but these points only count if they are cubic inches AND horsepower that are in radial engine form and attached to something with a tailwheel. So far, the breakdown is this:

1. Beechcraft A17FS - 2,350 Points (1,820 CID, 710 HP)
  2. Travel Air Mystery Ship - 1,375 Points (975 CID, 400 HP)
  3. Laird Super Solution - 1,900 Points (1,340 CID, 560 HP)
  4. Hughes H-1 - 2,534 Points (1,535 CID, 1,000 HP)
This leaves me with 8,339 total points (5,669 total CID, 2,670 HP). All of this with sweet sounding radials powering beautiful taildraggers. Unless someone brings something major soon, I win.

AN-2 ;)

In the words of the Russian guy who flies out of our club:

"AN-2 like tractor, can do anything with!"

O yeah, forgot about that one I guess I'll have to put it right behind the P.180 in my book. Think I can do my tailwheel and high performance at the same time?:D From what I've seen on youtube, to get the thing started, it looks like you need about 6 hands and you have to be able to jump around like a mexican jumping bean to get it all going.

An2_016.jpg

It's gotta be the B200
633156365_5f7c5d6a4f.jpg

There is not other tubroprop out there that has the long history of this airplane. I love that this is certified up to 12,500 but not over so it does not require a type.

I am coming close to declaring myself the winner of this category. I developed my own scoring system, and surprisingly enough, I am in the lead by a wide margin. Scoring system is as follows: One point given to displacement (in Cubic Inches), one point given for Horsepower, but these points only count if they are cubic inches AND horsepower that are in radial engine form and attached to something with a tailwheel. So far, the breakdown is this:

1. Beechcraft A17FS - 2,350 Points (1,820 CID, 710 HP)
  2. Travel Air Mystery Ship - 1,375 Points (975 CID, 400 HP)
  3. Laird Super Solution - 1,900 Points (1,340 CID, 560 HP)
  4. Hughes H-1 - 2,534 Points (1,535 CID, 1,000 HP)
This leaves me with 8,339 total points (5,669 total CID, 2,670 HP). All of this with sweet sounding radials powering beautiful taildraggers. Unless someone brings something major soon, I win.

Already have the big Bellanca - 1823/715

Now I bring these...

DC-3 - 3660 CID, 2200 hp
Nothing says utility and versatility better than the DC-3 familty.

1%2020%20C-41%20NC41HQ%20right%20side%20l.jpg

Howard 500 - 5600 CID, 5000 hp
I had to... Dee Howard did so much for aviation, why not include his last big piston twin?

howard500_02_july2004.jpg

Gives me 11080 for CID, 7915 on hp for a total of 18995.

Your turn Waco:D

Thompson Trophy winner in 1932...

Basically a R-1340 with wings and tail...

1340 CID - 800 hp (supercharged)

TOTAL - 21135...
(you should have let me know we were keeeping score)

2491.jpg

It's gotta be the B200

There is not other tubroprop out there that has the long history of this airplane. I love that this is certified up to 12,500 but not over so it does not require a type.

King air's are cool and all, but you don't need those engines and associated fuel burn to move that much cargo. One big round one, a bunch of Russian and some left rudder is all you need (read AN-2)

King air's are cool and all, but you don't need those engines and associated fuel burn to move that much cargo. One big round one, a bunch of Russian and some left rudder is all you need (read AN-2)
Call me crazy. I have been around the K/A pretty much all my flying career. I worked line at Exec Beech at SUS for a couple years and fell in love with the bird.

I will do you one better. The Pitts Viper. Go check out the airplane and Jason Newburg on the airshow circuit. You won't be disappointed. http://www.viperairshows.com/
PittsViper-1.jpg

I will see your Pitts Viper and raise you a Pitts Model 12 SII.
Length 19' 8"
span 21'
empty wt 1417 lb
gross wt 2000 lb
fuel capacity 36 gal
smoke capacity 12 gal
top speed 220 mph
Vne 250 mph
stall 67 mph
roll rate 370 deg/sec
climb 4500 + FPM
Take off roll at gross wt 150ft

410 hp M-14 tuned by Monte Barrett swinging a 102" prop.

12.jpg

Now, repeat after me. "Horizontally opposed engines suck big-time".

Write that 100 times on the chalk board and then return.

Thompson Trophy winner in 1932...

Basically a R-1340 with wings and tail...

1340 CID - 800 hp (supercharged)

TOTAL - 21135...
(you should have let me know we were keeeping score)

2491.jpg

If I had let you know we were keeping score it would have made it harder for me to win.

As posted earlier...

The Bellanca Airbus/Aircruiser.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=507 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD height=182></TD><TD width=126 colSpan=4> </TD><TD width=333 colSpan=3></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The Bellanca (although not as many built) is the better airplane in my opinion.

I have bolded the important numbers that are in favor of each type.

<BIG>General characteristics Bellanca Aircruiser...</BIG>
  • Crew: 1
  • Capacity: 16 passengers
  • Length: 43 ft 4 in
  • Wingspan: 65 ft 0 in
  • Height: 11 ft 6 in
  • Wing area: 520 ft²
  • Empty weight: 6,072 lb
  • Loaded weight: 10,000 lb
  • Payload: 4400 lb
  • Powerplant: 1× Wright R-1820 Cyclone 9 9-cylinder supercharged air-cooled radial engine, 715 hp
<BIG>Performance</BIG>
  • Maximum speed: 165 mph
  • Range: 608 nm (1,130 km)
  • Service ceiling: 22,000 ft
  • Power/Mass:
<BIG>General characteristics AN-2</BIG>
  • Crew: 1-2
  • Capacity: 12 passengers
  • Length: 40 ft 8 in
  • Wingspan:
    • Upper wing: 59 ft 8 in
    • Lower wing: 46 ft 9 in
  • Height: 13 ft
  • Wing area: 769.8 ft²
  • Empty weight: 7,300 lb
  • Loaded weight: 12,000 lb
  • Payload: 4700 lb
  • Powerplant: 1× Shvetsov ASh-62R 9-cylinder supercharged radial engine, 750 kW (1,000 hp)
<BIG>Performance</BIG>
  • Maximum speed: 160 mph
  • Range: 456 nm (845 km)
  • Service ceiling: 14,750 ft
SO, although smaller, the Bellanca could carry more passengers, almost as much cargo, and do it with a smaller engine. Thus the reason it is one of the most efficient airplanes ever built. If US regulations had not outlawed single engine transports in 1934, there would have been a whole lot more of these built. It outperformed most multi engine transports during its time.

If I had let you know we were keeping score it would have made it harder for me to win.

But this makes it soooo much more fun!

Do we get bonus points for being able to "double post" an aircraft? (see above on the big Bellanca)

Waco, I think the race is tightening up! Ctab's coming on strong.

I will grant you that he is passing me. But, as much as the Gooney Bird is a great airplane, does it seriously count as "bad Ass"? I could easily throw up a Connie, a DC-4,6,and 7 and then we would be catching up. I think that the Howard/Lodestar is certainly bad ass though. I count the Gee Bee he posted and the Lodestar - but am throwing out the points for DC-3.

It is fun to both make up the rules, be the scorekeeper AND the referee all in one!

I will grant you that he is passing me. But, as much as the Gooney Bird is a great airplane, does it seriously count as "bad Ass"? I could easily throw up a Connie, a DC-4,6,and 7 and then we would be catching up. I think that the Howard/Lodestar is certainly bad ass though. I count the Gee Bee he posted and the Lodestar - but am throwing out the points for DC-3.

It is fun to both make up the rules, be the scorekeeper AND the referee all in one!

And how many of those have tailwheels???

Changing the rules now are we? :D

As far as the DC-3... First sucessful modern airliner, used as both and airliner and cargo transport, invaded Europe, been to the icy regions of the world, used as a gunship, has fought the good fight against mosquitoes, now available with turboprops... seems kinda "bad ass" in my book.

As posted earlier...
SO, although smaller, the Bellanca could carry more passengers, almost as much cargo, and do it with a smaller engine. Thus the reason it is one of the most efficient airplanes ever built. If US regulations had not outlawed single engine transports in 1934, there would have been a whole lot more of these built. It outperformed most multi engine transports during its time.

Very true. Although, the core's of the engine's are the same. The Soviets had been license building the R-1820 for a while, and decided that they'd improve on it. While the Bellanca is cool, it's not Comrade Vassili cool:D The only Bellanca I'd like to fly is the small one (I think Viking) that has the L-1049 style tail (triple tail).

On the AN-2 note. Anybody have any idea where the is one in the states that I could get some training in? I'd love to just sit in one even.

Back