More Tough Decisons....

TallFlyer

I have a G7 interview next month and I'm weighing the pros and cons. The biggest pro at the moment is that my current employer seems very hard pressed to attract and retain FOs. Given the hiring environment in place (PSA, Mesa, Compass, etc) it seems like that they're not going to be able to compete against SJS and better pay rates at just about any other regional.

Just thinking out loud.....

You should do it. Don't worry about the fact that your upgrade is quick at C5, gotta get that CRJ7000 time. Majors and Bitties will be flocking! AND that pay?! Who can forget that. Dolla Dolla Bills yall!.......

Too much Coffee, need water.

Last edited:
Well, it all depends on what you think the future is at the current shop. I mean, gone are some of the perks like a short upgrade (as I see it). So, are you going to be at a regional for a while or will you have the quals for a legacy or whatever other flavor of flying you want to move on to?

Basically, I'm saying that if you're going to be in the regional world for a long term ride for any reason(5+ years), you may as well go someplace that will be able to give you a better wage and has the hiring capacity to allow you to have better than 6 on 2 off all the time.

On the other hand if you're planning and qualified for a 1-3 year stint in the regional world, I'd say it isn't worth losing the time invested already and ride it out where you're at until something bigger and better comes along that doesn't say "Operated By:" on the side of it.

As for me, I'm going to be in the regional world for a while to finish up a 4 year degree, so I've been considering a move myself to help the rainy day fund.

All that said......I'd say you'd do better at a few other companies in the long run as far as QOL and Pay go than G7.

As for me, I'm going to be in the regional world for a while to finish up a 4 year degree, so I've been considering a move myself to help the rainy day fund.
That is the exact position I find myself in. I'm guessing I've got at least four years in the regional world ahead of me to both get the degree and provide some space between myself and my "interesting" 135 background. RJs aside, I'd rather do that in an airplane with an APU.
All that said......I'd say you'd do better at a few other companies in the long run as far as QOL and Pay go than G7.
If they would call, I would go. Reference "interesting" 135 background.

Not sure I follow.....
He is referencing a song I do believe. The song uses a G5 (Gulfstream) though.

Personally if you are looking for somewhere else to go I wouldn't just limit your search to GoJet. Find an airline that will provide the best QOL. Try and be based at home if you can.

Even of you have a spotty record from that lovely green cargo carrier this is definitely a hiring market that is in your favor at the regionals. Find the best place that will fit in with your life.

Last edited:
He is referencing a song I do believe. The song uses a G5 (Gulfstream) though.

Personally if you are looking for somewhere else to go I wouldn't just limit your search to GoJet. Find an airline that will provide the best QOL. Try and be based at home if you can.

Even of you have a spotty record from that lovely green cargo carrier this is definitely a hiring market that is in your favor at the regionals. Find the best place that will fit in with your life.
It's actually a G6 in the song.

That is the exact position I find myself in. I'm guessing I've got at least four years in the regional world ahead of me to both get the degree and provide some space between myself and my "interesting" 135 background. RJs aside, I'd rather do that in an airplane with an APU.

If they would call, I would go. Reference "interesting" 135 background.
I have a G7 interview next month and I'm weighing the pros and cons. The biggest pro at the moment is that my current employer seems very hard pressed to attract and retain FOs. Given the hiring environment in place (PSA, Mesa, Compass, etc) it seems like that they're not going to be able to compete against SJS and better pay rates at just about any other regional.

Just thinking out loud.....

Well, if they have offered an interview, they are interested. I don't think you'd get an interview offer if they weren't . I'd like to avoid the whole Gojet topic, so I'll try to leave the subject at that. So yeah, you've got that going for you. If you don't mind, what is your part 135 story? You can PM me.

PS, how hard up is Commutair?

Like I said earlier, if they would call, I would go interview.

That said at the moment I've purposely avoided XJT, Eagle, and Endeavor. A little too much uncertainty at the moment. SkyWest would be great but they've probably got a few bumps in their future as well. In any event I had an interview with them this summer and I'm at CommutAir.

PS, how hard up is Commutair?
Well, every time I talk to scheduling they like to tell me about how they're very hard up for FOs. The last class we had go through had three in it. A class before that had 5 show up, but only two made it through for one reason or another.

I really, really don't want to sound like I'm hating on C5. Lots of good people around here, good crews, and it's a fun airplane (well, except in the summer on the ramp). Go read the CommutAir QOL thread. I think they're about to get hit really hard by some hiring market realities and pilots being infected with SJS. We've got some guys moving to good gigs (UAL, jB, Airways, Corp) but all that really isn't going to matter if they can't get people in the door. A short upgrade time means nothing if you don't have a brisk hiring pace. Could that happen at another regional? Sure, but at C5 the FO pay scale doesn't exceed $30 until the 5th year and then only if you're in the 300.

Out of curiosity have you looked at republic?

And it's going to be tough to move up if the bottom 1/3rd keeps leaving faster than the top 2/3rds.

I agree about xjet, would be a nice place if the house gets in order with any quickness.

Allow me to unlurk for a moment...

As a G7 pilot, I vote TSA or Compass. At G7, you will be on reserve for seven months to a year and reserve is a fate worse than death here.

The grass isn't always greener. Especially when all the regionals share the same lawn.
tumblr_lxfwotbdRP1qedb29o1_r3_500.gif

Allow me to unlurk for a moment...

As a G7 pilot, I vote TSA or Compass. At G7, you will be on reserve for seven months to a year and reserve is a fate worse than death here.

Yeah, I hear ORD reserve at G7 is brutal. Did all the UA guys who set up shop at G7 during the furloughs not go back?

Back