More Tough Decisons....

About to start my 6th leg, really delayed into a min rest overnight with no food near the hotel......

I'll bet those GoJets guys don't ever have to deal with this......

(Kidding!)

About to start my 6th leg, really delayed into a min rest overnight with no food near the hotel......

I'll bet those GoJets guys don't ever have to deal with this......

(Kidding!)

I've done that at mainline.

Good Lord Seggy, lay off the ALPA koolaid please, just once.

Look, the facts are the facts. ALPA does a much better job overall representing their pilots when they are in trouble than other entities. Whether it be FAA, Aeromedical issue, or company, ALPA does have the resources to keep people flying. I am sure TallFlyer is doing everything he can to keep his nose clean, but an over eager FAA inspector can really ruin your day or ATC trying to squeeze you into a flow that causes a separation issue. Take an issue that arises with that if you are not protected with another entity and the 'history' TallFlyer talks about and it can be a disaster to his future career plans. Yes, ALPA isn't the be all end all, but better than the Teamsters or nonunion in protection.

Now, with that said, TallFlyer needs to look at the culture of the next place he is going to go to. If he was saying he wanted to go to Skywest or even RAH, I think that would be a smarter move than GoJet. He mentioned Mesa in another thread on another site, so I was giving him a good reason to go there.

Allow me to unlurk for a moment...

As a G7 pilot, I vote TSA or Compass. At G7, you will be on reserve for seven months to a year and reserve is a fate worse than death here.
I thought you guys had crazy attrition.

FYI, given my experience with the MEC here I think @Seggy is spot on, and that is something I had been considering. I'll let it at that.....

@ppragman, I would say the upgrade here is very much up in the air. The guys upgrading now have just under two years on property, but I'm seeing a huge slowdown in hiring simply because we're having a hard time attracting FOs.

I'm sure @N519AT, @Jpax, and others might have differing opinions.

But for now, sleep.

FYI, given my experience with the MEC here I think @Seggy is spot on, and that is something I had been considering. I'll let it at that.....

@ppragman, I would say the upgrade here is very much up in the air. The guys upgrading now have just under two years on property, but I'm seeing a huge slowdown in hiring simply because we're having a hard time attracting FOs.

I'm sure @N519AT, @Jpax, and others might have differing opinions.

But for now, sleep.

Sit tight, get your 1000 MTPIC and then go to a major - don't go from one regional to another. This is from my experience of going from one bush operator, to freight, to Alaska charter, etc. If I had it to do all over again, I'd have gone 121 early on (before I had a family). You'd be better off if you sit tight dude - trust me. Your quality of life will be better in the long run.

If you must absolutely leave CMT under ANY circumstance, then I would look at a place like Mesa. They are another ALPA carrier and I think they are turning a corner culturally as well. Why is an ALPA carrier important? Well, if something does happen, they do a much better job of getting their member's jobs back than a place like GoJet. Once again, you really can't afford anything to happen.

I know you haven't always laughed at my jokes. That is fine, I just thought I would offer my opinion on this. I do wish you the best and I do think you will be able to accomplish your goals. However, I would think long and hard about leaving the place you are at now. I certainly wouldn't do that for GoJets.

Odd to be wanting to leave a place so soon after having started there.

So what happens when you get to gojets, and you don't like it? Go to another regional? Like others have said, if I was in charge of hiring, your resume would either end up in the trash, or you'd get lots of questions about your job hopping.

I thought you guys had crazy attrition.

Yeah, attrition is crazy. Out of my class, maybe half are left. Only a handful of lifers here. A lot of movement to JetBlue and USAir.

First rule of working at GoJet is how to figure out how to move on from GoJet. Management tells you in initial "Thanks for coming here. Get your hours and get moving"

Only a handful of lifers here.

First rule of working at GoJet is how to figure out how to move on from GoJet. Management tells you in initial "Thanks for coming here. Get your hours and get moving"

Same thing at my former regional. There were a few lifers and those words were spoken at my interview as well as day one of ground school (and repeated a lot during my time there). I'm sure the same holds true for Commutair as well as every other regional out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, attrition is crazy. Out of my class, maybe half are left. Only a handful of lifers here. A lot of movement to JetBlue and USAir.

Dammit man, Seggy is trying to keep this wayward man on the straight and narrow. Don't say stuff like that! ;)

I like the 'standing in line at McDonalds' analogy.

No regional will make a person more or less attractive to a future employer than any other regional. Building a quality working relationship with one company, and showing a respectable length of service on your resume will likely be more beneficial to a pilot's future than trying to pounce on every potential quick upgrade that comes along.

A regional airline is a regional airline. How stable you appear on paper is important. Where I work, we've had a large number of FO's hired by both Virgin and Alaska in the last year. More than a couple have gone to Spirit. Don't change horses unless the one you're on is drowning. If you're not sure if yours is drowning yet, then it's probably not.

I went into my first 121 interview nervous about my answer if they asked me about my driving record. I'd rather not do that again, and I'd really rather not feel nervous about my work history.

But I have to change. There's still one uniform that I am missing from my collection.

This one?

spin_prod_670250901

Back