More Tough Decisons....

Allow me to unlurk for a moment...

As a G7 pilot, I vote TSA or Compass. At G7, you will be on reserve for seven months to a year and reserve is a fate worse than death here.
I've heard no ready reserve in RDU, true?

Any truth to guys upgrading in 18ish months if they have the time?

Be very careful though. My buddy at G7 was asked to resign by the CP due to a commuting issue as a probie. It was his first and only problem while at G7. Keep in mind this was his 3rd 121 airline (furloughed from 2nd), and he was looking for a quick upgrade that wasnt materializing any time soon...

tumblr_lxfwotbdRP1qedb29o1_r3_500.gif

Post of the Month.

Allow me to unlurk for a moment...

As a G7 pilot, I vote TSA or Compass. At G7, you will be on reserve for seven months to a year and reserve is a fate worse than death here.

I'm not at either of those places, but I agree. If you're looking for a place to camp out for a while, look for QOL. Movement is important, but can change in an instant. Especially with the OP trying to finish up a degree, quality of life is key.

I'm not at either of those places, but I agree. If you're looking for a place to camp out for a while, look for QOL. Movement is important, but can change in an instant. Especially with the OP trying to finish up a degree, quality of life is key.

Chasing the quick upgrade, especially when you don't have hour one of jet time to start with, is Fools Gold and largely marketing for HR.

But what do I know. Do what you want, you're going to any way.

Chasing the quick upgrade, especially when you don't have hour one of jet time to start with, is Fools Gold and largely marketing for HR.

But what do I know. Do what you want, you're going to any way.
Give me just a little more credit than that.

Give me just a little more credit than that.

Believe me, I certainly did!

You're going to leave Solvent Regional A for Solvent Regional B.

A has staffing issues
B has staffing issues

If your ultimate goal is the regional world, sure.

However, if your ultimate goal is a mainline carrier, you're pretty much on a career treadmill with continual lateral moves, at best, in my opinion.

I'll lend you my ear. Give me one compelling reason why you would reach the front of the line at McDonalds, then walk out and go stand in line at a McDonalds two blocks away?

Leaving so quickly may mean something much, much deeper to HR at the next carrier you apply to because they're going to wonder why you were compelled to leave for no discernible advantage.

Or what's up at Carrier A that says "run for the hills"?

Maybe you like the domiciles better at company B... (shuffling feet) and a CBA would be nice... And... other excuses that aren't coming to me right now but are probably quite valid on the topic of lateral moves...

Maybe you like the domiciles better at company B... (shuffling feet) and a CBA would be nice... And... other excuses that aren't coming to me right now but are probably quite valid on the topic of lateral moves...

Domiciles come and go which many people don't realize when it comes to choosing an airline.

I wouldn't change regional airlines for that purpose. I wouldn't change majors for that purpose either. Imagine if I had left SouthernJets for America West in 2000 since I lived in Arizona. I'd be in a bell tower with a 30 ott 6 screaming "Westie? Eastie? You've got three seconds to identify yourself!" :) :sarcasm:

This is being spoken as a person that was Orlando, Dallas and almost Portland-based once upon a time.

(All) Gone baby gone.

And if it was a lateral move at a regional gone is the time I would have been spending on the line building flight time rather than wearing khakis in ground school and "Well, Regional A did things THAT way, why does Regional B do things THIS way?" :)

I've heard no ready reserve in RDU, true?

Any truth to guys upgrading in 18ish months if they have the time?

Only ready reserve is in ORD. The ready reserve ended in STL when the tornado damaged the airport building. No long call reserve. Hour and a half callout in STL/RDU. Two hour callout in ORD.

Upgrades are happening a lot faster than other carriers, though. I got hired in June 12 and I should upgrade in February/March.

Believe me, I certainly did!

You're going to leave Solvent Regional A for Solvent Regional B.

A has staffing issues
B has staffing issues

If your ultimate goal is the regional world, sure.

However, if your ultimate goal is a mainline carrier, you're pretty much on a career treadmill with continual lateral moves, at best, in my opinion.

I'll lend you my ear. Give me one compelling reason why you would reach the front of the line at McDonalds, then walk out and go stand in line at a McDonalds two blocks away?

Leaving so quickly may mean something much, much deeper to HR at the next carrier you apply to because they're going to wonder why you were compelled to leave for no discernible advantage.

Or what's up at Carrier A that says "run for the hills"?
I'll get back to you, but right now EWR is sucking out all my brains.....

Last edited:
True that, what was I thinking! ;)

Well, in all fairness there is a reason for that which I will touch upon.

If I were you, I would not to go to GoJets.

You admit that you have an 'interesting' background in the 135 world and that you have at least another 4 years at the regionals (as a side note, when you listed the reasons does PRIA have anything to do with it? Because, even though something may not show up on a PRIA request after five years, the carrier can do a FOI request or just plainly ask you, 'Why did you leave such and such place? Was it on your own terms?'). I do think, that even with this 'interesting' background in the 135 world, you will be able to get to a career orientated destination. However, it will be VERY important that when you do, you have as much work history at the 121 world as possible at one carrier. Let me ask you this as well, did you interview at other places than CMT? Were you offered jobs there? If no, then why do YOU think that is? If so, why did you pick CMT? With all that said, the frank matter is that if you do get fired at a 121 place (even a regional) that closes a lot of doors. That coupled with your 'interesting' 135 background, more doors will be closed.

There is a reason GoJets is having quick upgrade times. I have been there, done that at Colgan. As someone else mentioned in this thread, GoJets doesn't seem to kind to their employees when they have a singular issue that is relatively benign. I heard that as well first hand from guys who worked there. While CMT has had their issues the guys I know there say the place is turning culturally.

Then there is the background on how GoJets was started. I was talking to someone at another airline than mine, who has does hiring at his 'career destination airline', who was at TSA when the GoJets alter ego was started. He is a person who would be great to have interview you, unless you work/worked at GoJets.

Have guys from GoJets been hired at other places? Absolutely. Will guys from GoJets be hired in the future at places? Absolutely. But, the bottom line is that there are more guys who have moved on from TSA that are First Officers/Captains at 'career destination airlines' than there are from GoJets. I flew with four over two airlines, and three still had anti-GoJet stickers on their bags (two left TSA before GoJets even started, but felt the need to get that sticker on their bag to support their friends still there). Anyway, see how I am painting the picture? Why potentially expose yourself more so to a place with a crummy culture and more guys who vehemently want nothing to do with a pilot from that company?

If you must absolutely leave CMT under ANY circumstance, then I would look at a place like Mesa. They are another ALPA carrier and I think they are turning a corner culturally as well. Why is an ALPA carrier important? Well, if something does happen, they do a much better job of getting their member's jobs back than a place like GoJet. Once again, you really can't afford anything to happen.

I know you haven't always laughed at my jokes. That is fine, I just thought I would offer my opinion on this. I do wish you the best and I do think you will be able to accomplish your goals. However, I would think long and hard about leaving the place you are at now. I certainly wouldn't do that for GoJets.

Last edited:
CJ
You should stay put. I know of your "135" expirience, and what you need to show HR is stability.
Commutair probably sucks, but I guarantee you GoJet isn't better. In terms of overall QOL, pay etc when you calculate a projected upgrade.

Good Lord Seggy, lay off the ALPA koolaid please, just once.

I'm not a GoJet employee, and never have been, but I gotta say the term "GoJets" annoys the crap outta me. Why do people throw that "S" onto the name of the company?

That being said, you kids keep it safe out on the tarmac!

Back